Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 08:49 AM

792 posts, read 1,178,250 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a Medicare HMO Advantage Plan. I thought I'd found one but my doctor doesn't accept the plan.
How do you find a plan that your doctor accepts? I just found this doctor, he's nice, seems knowledgeable and I like him so I'm trying to stay with him.
I'd have to go through each plan I might want, call them and ask if my doctor is on their list but that will be time consuming.
I know where and how to find the plans. When I find a plan I look up if they cover my medications and what tier they are. So I have that part covered.
I'm just wanting to know if there is a less time consuming way to find out what plans my doctor accepts.
Medicare is SO much better than Obamacare. That is a nightmare in itself!
Thank you for any help you all can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 09:44 AM

37 posts, read 146,493 times
I would contact the business/office manager at your Doctor's office and ask that person if they are part of any insurer's Medicare Advantage plan network ( Do NOT ask, "do you accept or take so and so insurance company" ) and if so which networks..PPO or HMO. You could also contact the insurance carriers, but I think asking the specific Doctor's office makes more sense.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:53 AM

7,528 posts, read 13,653,901 times
Have you checked if that doctor has a website ? If so, most, but sadly not all, list what insurance plans they accept.
As Brian ^^^^ said, best to call his office and ask what plans they accept.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,077,441 times
I would rule out the plans that do not appeal to you first. Then pick 3 that cover what you want. THEN call your PCP's office and ask if they take any of the three plans. Then go from there.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:08 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,529,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I'm looking for a Medicare HMO Advantage Plan. I thought I'd found one but my doctor doesn't accept the plan.
How do you find a plan that your doctor accepts? I just found this doctor, he's nice, seems knowledgeable and I like him so I'm trying to stay with him.
I'd have to go through each plan I might want, call them and ask if my doctor is on their list but that will be time consuming.
I'm just wanting to know if there is a less time consuming way to find out what plans my doctor accepts.
Limited provider network and preapprovals and treatment oversight are issues you need to consider before enrolling in any Advantage.

Why do you want an HMO? An Advantage PPO at least provides more provider flexibility - both at home an away from home. If you do any traveling all, limited provider network in Advantage HMO can be problematic should you develop serious health issues away from your area - especially if rehab is part of your recovery. HMO MA's generally want you back home for rehab. If you find a plan which accepts your provider, ask about their policy in this circumstance.

If you haven't already, you may want to read these:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...nary-info.html

Many here have a high-deductible Medigap which allows complete provider provider flexibility for a very low premium with no insurance compan oversight - you can see the doctor you have now and Medicare will pay 80%, you pay the very small copay up to the deductible. Thereafter, plan pays 100%. You would then need a stand-alone Part D drug plan. Overall cost for both plans might be $80/mo. at most and then you have no need to worry about which you doctor you see.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:30 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,730,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian740 View Post
I would contact the business/office manager at your Doctor's office and ask that person if they are part of any insurer's Medicare Advantage plan network ( Do NOT ask, "do you accept or take so and so insurance company" ) and if so which networks..PPO or HMO. You could also contact the insurance carriers, but I think asking the specific Doctor's office makes more sense.
Agreed. Ask if the dod is a PCP on the plan and especially if he is “in-network” in the case of PPO. Some will tell you that they “accept” it, but leave out that they are “out of network”

Old 10-18-2020, 02:01 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I know where and how to find the plans. When I find a plan I look up if they cover my medications and what tier they are. So I have that part covered.
Medicare is SO much better than Obamacare. That is a nightmare in itself!
Thank you for any help you all can give me.
I do Medicare, a Medigap with Horizon Blue Cross plus have a stand alone drug plan with AARP that's usually the only plan that covers my meds. I have not run into a doctor yet that doesn't take my insurance.

I also have to ask, why do you want an HMO?

Old 10-18-2020, 12:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,077,441 times
Underwriting is a problem for some of us, which is mandated by most of the Medigap policies if you didn't take it when first eligible. So, you are pretty much limited to an Advantage Plan, and yes, a PPO is certainly better but will cost you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance