Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 08:18 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You have not been reading threads here for sure. No one is preferring original medicare, they're adding a medigap policy and drug plan to make sure they're covered as much as they can be.

That Medigap payment is a LOT cheaper than paying big deductibles of advantage, especially if you're admitted to the hospital December to January. Think of paying $3,000 or whatever it is, twice! Talk about OUCH!!!

If you do decide to do an advantage plan, update this thread to let us know how it works for you. It will work until it does not as some people find out.

If you can afford to pay a medigap policy, it is cheap insurance at a few hundred a month. Mine is current $125. I'm not 65 yet so the choices of insurers and plans are very limited. My hub will be 65 in April, he will be getting AARP/UH plan G, not sure about the part D drug plan yet. I still have to go there to pick my choice. He will get what I'm getting.

My annual out of pocket with Blue Shield is $999. Just lab and test co-pays after that. Does medigap cover all costs for lab and tests? i.e. are there any co-pays with medigap for lab and tests and procedures like MRI's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 08:20 AM

IS AARP a good choice for medigap? They push Unitedhealthcare. Can someone suggest a really good insurer for glendale ca? Thank you.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:31 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

If I pay the medigap premium of $142 in my area do I still have to pay the Part B premium of $148.50?
Yes, I pay the $148.50 for Part B as well as approx $198 for Supplement N. I also have a Part D, $35 a month in 2021, I am changing it to an $8 a month plan for 2022 since I only take 2 drugs, 1 is $5 a month with a GoodRX card at Publix and the other one is free thru Publix Pharmacy. You need to have a Part D even if you don't use it because when/if you do need it in years to come, you are penalized when you want to purchase it.

Quote:
IS AARP a good choice for medigap? They push Unitedhealthcare. Can someone suggest a really good insurer for glendale ca? Thank you.
I have AARP UHC Plan N in Miami, it's about $198 a month. So far so good, I've only been on it since January 2021. I don't go to the doctor often, but I went for the "Welcome to Medicare" exam and all that entailed and I haven't seen many bills yet. Time will tell, I see my claims on the Medicare site with messages "You might be charged this..." so I probably will have to pay these small amounts when the providers get around to billing me.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Yes, I pay the $148.50 for Part B as well as approx $198 for Supplement N. I also have a Part D, $35 a month in 2021, I am changing it to an $8 a month plan for 2022 since I only take 2 drugs, 1 is $5 a month with a GoodRX card at Publix and the other one is free thru Publix Pharmacy. You need to have a Part D even if you don't use it because when/if you do need it in years to come, you are penalized when you want to purchase it.

I have AARP UHC Plan N in Miami, it's about $198 a month. So far so good, I've only been on it since January 2021. I don't go to the doctor often, but I went for the "Welcome to Medicare" exam and all that entailed and I haven't seen many bills yet. Time will tell, I see my claims on the Medicare site with messages "You might be charged this..." so I probably will have to pay these small amounts when the providers get around to billing me.

Thank you, Sany for the helpful info.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Sany for the helpful info.
You are welcome! When you go on Medicare, you get a very informative booklet titled "Medicare and You", it's also online. You can sign up for Medicare 3 months before you turn 65, the month you turn 65 and 3 months afterwards so it's a 7 month period.

I had an insurance agent desperately trying to sell me an Advantage plan, that turned me off before I even read anything here. My thought was "Free isn't always the best, there has to be some catch". I am healthy but haven't been to the doctor (before this) in about 10 years so I didn't want to take chances with who I could see. I'm good with the additional monthly costs.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You are welcome! When you go on Medicare, you get a very informative booklet titled "Medicare and You", it's also online. You can sign up for Medicare 3 months before you turn 65, the month you turn 65 and 3 months afterwards so it's a 7 month period.

I had an insurance agent desperately trying to sell me an Advantage plan, that turned me off before I even read anything here. My thought was "Free isn't always the best, there has to be some catch". I am healthy but haven't been to the doctor (before this) in about 10 years so I didn't want to take chances with who I could see. I'm good with the additional monthly costs.

I'm with Blue Shield 65+ now but am seriously thinking of switching to Original. And I just found out that UHC plan d doesn't cover an eyedrop I need

Old 11-12-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I'm with Blue Shield 65+ now but am seriously thinking of switching to Original. And I just found out that UHC plan d doesn't cover an eyedrop I need
I don't have to have the same company for my medical Supplement plan as I do for Part D (drug plan), but I don't really know what Blue Shield 65+ is, maybe they require that?

I might have misspoke earlier. You said you (or your wife) wanted to move from an Advantage plan to Original Medicare, I thought you meant you wanted to move from Advantage to a Supplement which probably is not the same thing as moving from Advantage to Original Medicare. I have what I think is Original Medicare (Part A and B) plus I have a Supplement with AARP UHC. I had UHC Wallgreen's Part D (drug) at $35 a month in 2021 but I'm switching to Aetna SilverScript at $8 a month starting January 2022. With my Supplement being AARP UHC, I don't have to stay with the AARP UHC Part D (drug plan).

This is really confusing to me so don't take my word for it. The way I understand it is, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

Part A (Hospital) is free, Part B (Doctors) is $198.50 a month - these two make up Original Medicare, I think??
Part C is an Advantage Plan if you choose to go that way (I went with a Supplement)
Part D is a Drug Plan
Medigap is a Supplement, I have Plan N

Could thins have been made any more confusing?

Old 11-12-2021, 11:41 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
If I pay the medigap premium of $142 in my area do I still have to pay the Part B premium of $148.50?
Yes. Enrollment in Part B is a requirement for both a Medgap and Advantage.
Quote:
My annual out of pocket with Blue Shield is $999. Just lab and test co-pays after that. Does medigap cover all costs for lab and tests? i.e. are there any co-pays with medigap for lab and tests and procedures like MRI's?
Medicare will pay for lab tests under its parameters.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/di...boratory-tests

Copays are covered by the Medigap. That's why you have it.

Quote:
In CA, you are not locked into a Medigap insurer. Should you become unhappy, under CA's birthday rule you are allowed to switch insurers without Medical underwriting.
Quote:
Q: What is the "Birthday Rule" and how does it apply to the new Medigap Plans?
A: If you already have Medigap insurance, you have 30 days of "open enrollment" following your birthday each year when you can buy a new Medigap policy without a medical screening or a new waiting period. The new policy must have the same or lesser benefits as your old policy. To avoid confusion, the new law specifies which of the new Plans are equal to the old Plans.

https://www.insurance.ca.gov/0150-se.../SA-01-10B.cfm
See a CA Medicare insurance broker. It doesn't cost you more. His commission is paid by the insurer, the premium is NOT higher b/c you see him.
Quote:
I thought you meant you wanted to move from Advantage to a Supplement which probably is not the same thing as moving from Advantage to Original Medicare
He cannot move from Advantage to a Medigap. First, he must disenroll from Advantage. Usually that is done in writing. He will be automatically moved back to Original Medicare. He then purchases a Medigap supplement.

OP/wife should not disenroll from Advantage before being approved by the Medigap carrier. A good insurance broker can guide him through the process.

For thrillobyte - a basic primer on the differences between Medigap and Advantage:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

Old 11-12-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I don't have to have the same company for my medical Supplement plan as I do for Part D (drug plan), but I don't really know what Blue Shield 65+ is, maybe they require that?

I might have misspoke earlier. You said you (or your wife) wanted to move from an Advantage plan to Original Medicare, I thought you meant you wanted to move from Advantage to a Supplement which probably is not the same thing as moving from Advantage to Original Medicare. I have what I think is Original Medicare (Part A and B) plus I have a Supplement with AARP UHC. I had UHC Wallgreen's Part D (drug) at $35 a month in 2021 but I'm switching to Aetna SilverScript at $8 a month starting January 2022. With my Supplement being AARP UHC, I don't have to stay with the AARP UHC Part D (drug plan).

This is really confusing to me so don't take my word for it. The way I understand it is, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

Part A (Hospital) is free, Part B (Doctors) is $198.50 a month - these two make up Original Medicare, I think??
Part C is an Advantage Plan if you choose to go that way (I went with a Supplement)
Part D is a Drug Plan
Medigap is a Supplement, I have Plan N

Could thins have been made any more confusing?

That's very accurate. Right now we have Blue Shield medicare 65+ Advantage. Thinking going to Original Part A & B w/ medigap, part d--both with UHC since AARP endorses it. Can't do it now because my wife has a pre existing condition (osteoporosis) so Medigap won' insure her.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Yes. Enrollment in Part B is a requirement for both a Medgap and Advantage.
Medicare will pay for lab tests under its parameters.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/di...boratory-tests

Copays are covered by the Medigap. That's why you have it.

In CA, you are not locked into a Medigap insurer. Should you become unhappy, under CA's birthday rule you are allowed to switch insurers without Medical underwriting.

See a CA Medicare insurance broker. It doesn't cost you more. His commission is paid by the insurer, the premium is NOT higher b/c you see him.
He cannot move from Advantage to a Medigap. First, he must disenroll from Advantage. Usually that is done in writing. He will be automatically moved back to Original Medicare. He then purchases a Medigap supplement.

OP/wife should not disenroll from Advantage before being approved by the Medigap carrier. A good insurance broker can guide him through the process.

For thrillobyte - a basic primer on the differences between Medigap and Advantage:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

Excellent info, Ariadne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance