Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 08:07 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I just got a notice in email from Medicare that more vaccines are covered under Part D. This is new as of Jan 2023, didn't know this before today. So, now Shingles (x2) is free with Part D? Tetanus and others also.
Am I understanding this to be correct?

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/...ree%20to%20you.
With the Covid emergency ending this is changing. Some vaccines at the doctor are under Part B. Shingles & the others may be at the pharmacy under Part D.

Probably need to state this is free to you. Don't worry somebody pays.

For some items the doctor may recommend you get something more often than Medicare pays & allows. Always ask your doctor & if they accept assignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 05:00 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
We got our first Shingrix in February with no cost. But be aware it is only if you have a Part D plan. Medicare itself doesn't pay for it, the part D plan does. That is why you have to get it at a pharmacy because doc offices don't take part D. Medicare pays for flu, pneumonia and covid vaccines. Most other ones are now paid for by part D, but only those that the CDC recommend for seniors.

When our daughter had our first granddaughter in 2019 we updated some of our vaccines and had to pay for them but not near as much as the Shingrix was. Glad we kept putting it off due to cost.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:07 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
What about if you have an Advantage plan that covers you for Part D? Do we get them free too?

Old 04-20-2023, 08:58 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What about if you have an Advantage plan that covers you for Part D? Do we get them free too?
Good question. That is something you would have to check with your plan. I would think so as long as your plan has an actual Medicare Part D attached to it. I don't know how Advantage plans work (do they have Part D or some other kind of coverage) as I have never used one. My neighbors have one (MetLife retiree plan) and I think she said they would be covered under theirs

This is what the Humana website says:

"Currently, the shingles shot is covered by Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans with Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage, but not under Original Medicare (Parts A and B)."

Old 04-20-2023, 11:43 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Good question. That is something you would have to check with your plan. I would think so as long as your plan has an actual Medicare Part D attached to it. I don't know how Advantage plans work (do they have Part D or some other kind of coverage) as I have never used one. My neighbors have one (MetLife retiree plan) and I think she said they would be covered under theirs

This is what the Humana website says:

"Currently, the shingles shot is covered by Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans with Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage, but not under Original Medicare (Parts A and B)."
Medicare Advantage plans provide the equivalent of Part B + a supplement + Part D.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:40 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Here goes the part D with higher premiums next enrollment?

Old 04-20-2023, 11:05 PM

1,380 posts, read 721,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Here goes the part D with higher premiums next enrollment?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:36 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
Is the Shingles vaccine and Covid boosters available at Walgreens or Costco ?

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:40 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Is the Shingles vaccine and Covid boosters available at Walgreens or Costco ?

Thanks.
You would need to contact your local stores to find out.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:48 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
The increase in the Part D premium will look insignificant compared to what I suspect is going to happen to the Part B premium, again. Several new Alzheimer drugs that require infusions are, again, on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance