Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 12:52 PM

35 posts, read 166,189 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone on here has any advice on the most affordable, individual insurance for a full-time student. I am trying to help a friend out-he is a full-time student and works part-time and so is ineligible for his company's insurance plan. He is trying to find individual insurance but can't afford too much. Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this or any advice on which insurance company might offer the cheapest individual insurance or possibly a student discount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 02:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
The student health insurance at his school is likely going to be the cheapest.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Not always though. My son got a better deal through BCBS. His premium is $91.00/month for medical and dental. The school insurance was quite a bit higher.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I could give you what's available here, but it won't help you if you don't live in Pennsylvania. The way healthcare is currently set up, choices depend on where he lives or attends school. Availability of health insurance varies from state to state. I believe healthcare reform intends to open up the markets so people can take advantage of insurance available in different states, but that won't happen for quite a few years.

Based on previous posts, it appears as if you live in Florida. I'll assume that this young man lives in Florida too.

If you enter information into these quote websites for Florida insurance, you'll see that there are policies for as low as $41.00.

Health Insurance, Medical Insurance Plans | Health Insurance Quotes

Florida Health Insurance | Florida Individual Health Insurance Quotes

The private insurance via those quote sites might exclude pre-existing conditions.

If he has been without insurance for 6 months, he will qualify for this state insurance: http://www.coverfloridahealthcare.com/#

Check out the pricing of the state insurance. If it's more affordable, he might be better of waiting 6 months if he hasn't been without coverage that long.

The other advantage of getting onto the state insurance is it's group coverage that doesn't exclude pre-existing conditions.

Healthcare reform has eliminated pre-existing conditions being impossed upon policy holders, but those changes won't go into effect for a few years.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I just checked the rates on the state insurance website (Cover Florida Health Care) and the rates are very affordable ($41 to $45) for people between the ages of 19 to 29.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance