Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM

164 posts, read 460,691 times

Advertisements

Hi all, moving to the USA in a few months from UK and Ive just fainted having learned the cost of medical insurance cover for my family!!!

Can I ask how much I should expect to pay for a family of 4 (employer is supposed to be covering me..but costs still seem outrageous!!) per week?
Is $142 per week the standard rate?

Oh I need to go lie down im still in shock!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
It is going to go WAY WAY WAY up because the government just passed a law that everyone must buy health insurance, and the companies can charge whatever they want (prices are not regulated). Before we could choose not to buy, so they can really start gouging us. Also, they have to cover pre-existing conditions and they didn't before, so that is going to make the prices go up even more. Oh, and our taxes are going to go up so that the poor can get cheaper health care now that they also have to buy it.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:59 PM

From CNN:
• Insurers can no longer refuse to sell or renew policies because of an individual's health status. Health plans can no longer exclude coverage for pre-existing conditions. Insurers can't charge higher rates because of heath status, gender or other factors.

So that tells me they must set their base prices REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY high to cover all that... and we just all have to pay it no matter the price. The price is not regulated.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:36 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsfromscotland View Post
Hi all, moving to the USA in a few months from UK and Ive just fainted having learned the cost of medical insurance cover for my family!!!

Can I ask how much I should expect to pay for a family of 4 (employer is supposed to be covering me..but costs still seem outrageous!!) per week?

If your employer is providing you with the health insurance than the HR person should have sent you all of the details of the group plan. There may be different choices within the company's group plan.

None of us here can really help you with the numbers as it is specific to not only the Health Care Insurance provider, but also you employer's group, HMO/PPO etc etc

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsfromscotland View Post

You ain't seen nothing yet ,Toots ! Thanks to all the new immigrants who want to come here and reap all the benefits but not pay for it like the previous immigrants did ,we ae now in decline .

My grandparents were scotch irish when they came there wasn't a ready made nation ,much less healthcare .

Toots ,Toots Tootsie goodbye, and don't cry . Leave the crying and complainingto Americans .

Old 03-28-2010, 11:17 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
It is going to go WAY WAY WAY up because the government just passed a law that everyone must buy health insurance, and the companies can charge whatever they want (prices are not regulated). Before we could choose not to buy, so they can really start gouging us. Also, they have to cover pre-existing conditions and they didn't before, so that is going to make the prices go up even more. Oh, and our taxes are going to go up so that the poor can get cheaper health care now that they also have to buy it.
This is just not true. It is going to be regulated and one of the reasons about the reform.

Health care: How will you be affected by reform changes? *| ajc.com

"She will be able to buy coverage from private insurers through new regulated exchanges, marketplaces where individuals could shop for health plans, theoretically benefiting from prices pushed down by competition and customer volume. Insurers will be banned from some practices, such as denying coverage because of pre-existing health conditions, and they will be required to cover hospitalization, doctor visits, prescription drugs, maternity care and other benefits."

OP: You can get your insurance through your employer or privately. You cost sounds about right but they may have a plan that is just a little cheaper but you will be paying for more out of pocket with cheaper plans. I would ask a doctor the cost of some meds and procedures before doing that.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
This is just not true. It is going to be regulated and one of the reasons about the reform.

Health care: How will you be affected by reform changes? *| ajc.com

"She will be able to buy coverage from private insurers through new regulated exchanges, marketplaces where individuals could shop for health plans, theoretically benefiting from prices pushed down by competition and customer volume. Insurers will be banned from some practices, such as denying coverage because of pre-existing health conditions, and they will be required to cover hospitalization, doctor visits, prescription drugs, maternity care and other benefits."

OP: You can get your insurance through your employer or privately. You cost sounds about right but they may have a plan that is just a little cheaper but you will be paying for more out of pocket with cheaper plans. I would ask a doctor the cost of some meds and procedures before doing that.

I don't see where it says they will cap prices? If they have to cover everyone... and the bill says they CAN NOT charge more for people with pre-existing condition, then we are all going to get the higher prices. We must be charged the same. So the crack head who weighs 540lbs, has 7 STDs, non diet controlled diabetes and smokes a pack a day has to pay the same as the healthiest person in the country. What price do you think we are going to be charged?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
The crackhead CEO that has been gobbling all your money instead will be shown for the sham artist he is and you can take your money elsewhere.

PolitiFact | One health insurance company turned a profit, but not a record

"For the quarter, UnitedHealth earned $859 million. But that's not a record for quarterly net income. During the same period in 2007, for example, its net income was $1.23 billion."

So you want your money to help a sick person or a fat cat rich sob profiting off your fear of death?

What you are charged depends on your income.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:31 PM

I thought the fine for not carrying it depended on your income? I haven't read anything about the actual cost of medical coverage depending on your income?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Your employer probably quoted the cost on a monthly basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance