Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times

Advertisements

Hi there
A few weeks ago I was rx'd with rheumatroid athritis, but now when the blood work came back it showed positive for Lupus

Does anyone else have this ; it is in my joints, and makes me extremely tired and sore. i am 45, work parttime plus go to school full time and have two tweens.

Any advice

thanks
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
My brothers wife has it. I was going to make another thread but I searched first and thought I would just put it here. She's in her 40's and went to the doctor to get her eyes checked (she's had the disease for a while now). Once they checked them it took a while for someone to come back and let her know what was going on. My brother said people with Lupus go to the doctor once a year to get checked out. Well the doctor came back but with a female nurse and told her that she will lose her eye sight at any time now and to come back in 2 months and get your eyes checked again. I never knew about the disease until her. I pray she never loses her eye sight nor anything else.

Her symptoms are just like yours too.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM

419 posts, read 868,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Well the doctor came back but with a female nurse and told her that she will lose her eye sight at any time now and to come back in 2 months and get your eyes checked again.
Lupus can cause a person to go blind? Wow, I didn't know how extreme the disease could be. Hope your SIL makes out okay.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 PM

Yeah, her mom and sister both had it and died at an early age

I pray my niece nor nephew have it.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM

Dorothy, I recently tested positive for lupus antibodies (negative for rheumatism though). My doctor told me to make an appointment with a rheumatologist for further testing, but the earliest appointment I could get is in April and by then I may chicken out. I hope you get the answers you need. From the little that I've read on lupus, it sounds like a "anything goes" kind of disease. How confusing!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, her mom and sister both had it and died at an early age
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. Gosh, it almost makes me want to get my eyes tested some more. I've been having vision problems for several years and it's getting worse, but the two eye doctors I saw didn't see anything wrong. Weird.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Blindness is rare from what they say. It's either caused by the disease or the drugs they use to treat Lupus with.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
The Hydroxychloroquine that many take to lesson the effects of Lupus can cause Blindness; it is recommended that visual field tests and frequent visits to the Opthamologist are best to preserve eyesight.

Also,Lupus is a disease of elimination; there are many tests that may point towards SLE there is not a definitive test that is positive for SLE. Many of the positive blood tests are the same for the majority of Autoimmune diseases.

Find out what works best for you. Many find relief with moist heat, while others find that GENTLE exercise helps to keep themselves limber. Unfortunately, the most common SLE meds may cause weight gain (yay), and prednisone has been known to cause SEVERE mood swings and rapid weight gain.

Stress may exacerbate symptoms so try to relax. Take it easy while doing everyday chores. I am not saying to take to your bed - but rather know your own limits and respect them. I wish you the best.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. Gosh, it almost makes me want to get my eyes tested some more. I've been having vision problems for several years and it's getting worse, but the two eye doctors I saw didn't see anything wrong. Weird.

What's your eye sight, 20/20, 20/15, far sighted, near sighted? He told me the doctor said it's the worst nearsided he has ever seen.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Blindness is rare from what they say. It's either caused by the disease or the drugs they use to treat Lupus with.
That's good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness