Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 34,565 times

Advertisements

Over 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. My wife was with me in the doctors office when he prescribed Methotrexate and then announced I’d need to come in weekly for blood tests. I then asked what the side effects were for Methotrexate and he said there were NONE! My wife will verify he said that. Knowing nothing about Methotrexate but suspicious about needing weekly blood tests, I purchased a PDR and found death is common due to liver failure. I did take the prescription for about 2 months and then quit. Needless to say I’m still alive and in good health no thanks to the drug companies and their salesmen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Oh and my son has to get a shot an an allergist and the secretary said he needs one shot....WRONG. He had the h1n1 last year but that DOES NOT count as a flu shot. He's never had a SEASONAL flu shot before so he needs 2 shots. SO PARENTS PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THE FLU SHOTS.
Doesn't the flu shot this year give immunity to both H1N1 and the seasonal flu?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYT View Post
Yes, it does, but that is irrelevant to Lisalan's point if I understand her point correctly.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYT View Post
It gives immunity to 3 flu strains one of them being h1n1. I don't understand why you are asking this question. It has nothing to do with my thread.
Perhaps you are confused about what I was saying????
If you are under 9 and have never had a flu shot then you need 2 doses of the flu shot 4 weeks apart (there are 3 strains covered in the flu shot including h1n1) Hope that clarifies it.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-17-2010 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Of course the patient is ALWAYS responsible for their own health care, so you did the right thing by being so vigilant.
Huh? So if you're under anesthesia and a surgeon amputates the wrong foot because he's too tired to look at your chart correctly, that's your fault?
Quote:
Moreover, doctors typically work long hours, beginning before the office opens by making rounds in the hospitals, then doing it again after office hours. The time they have to stay current is limited.
If I go to a doctor because I have a lump and he tells me it's nothing, are you saying when I find out it's stage 4 breast cancer, it's really my fault because doctors are so overworked these days? Puhleeze!
Quote:
It's not their fault that they're so busy because we've gotten to where we run to the doctor for every little thing, so perhaps a share of the blame resides with us.
If I get a prescription and it says to take 1 pill every 4 hours, am I supposed to look it up on the internet to make sure the pharmacist didn't screw up and make a typo or the doctor didn't give me the wrong drug? If I go to my mechanic and he tells me my brakes are safe, I trust him. So why should I put more faith in his expertise than my doctor?

This is so sad. It sounds as if you are defending incompetence. If a doctor can't keep up with current medical procedures, he should get out of the profession.

Last edited by justNancy; 10-17-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 05:50 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This is so sad. It sounds as if you are defending incompetence. If a doctor can't keep up with current medical procedures, he should get out of the profession.
Yes it does sound like that poster is defending incompetence. So Dr's are busy big frealing deal. They get paid well over 100,000 -150,000 to be busy. It's their job.
I have 3 young kids and work full-time so I'm busy as well yet I had to find the time to research all this stuff on the flu shot. That's not my job. However because all most dr's care about now is money and not the patient I had to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness