Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times

Advertisements

id have to second what mike said. how does getting tattooed affect ur heart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
I haven't heard anything about dangers of tattoos affecting heart conditions... ???? Maybe the very slim chance that the tattoo ink might explode in the MRI machine when they need to do a cardiac MR but I don't even know if that is real or not. Or the risk of hepatitis C? I don't think the pain will do anything to your heart. The meds before dental procedures are antibiotics because there is a lot of blood supply in very close proximity to the teeth, so there is a big chance the bacteria from the teeth could work its way to the bloodstream into the heart, and infect her valves. Slim chance she would get a blood-borne bacterial infection from tattoos. I mean it could happen but it's really not too common unless you scratch it open.

If she were shooting up or skin popping, I'd be quite appalled. But tattoos... I'm assuming the salon would be clean!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Please explain how tatoos negatively impact the heart. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 AM

525 posts, read 1,554,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Please explain how tatoos negatively impact the heart. Thank you.
Endocarditis - Medicalook

For y'all that wanna know how a tattoo can affect the heart negatively

This article doesn't say too much about it. When looking this condition up, in general it says persons who have had major heart surgery like heart murmur or mitral valve replacemen to avoid tattoos

Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Because the risk of infection is high if you don't go to the cleanest place possible. Infections can travel to the heart once they get in the blood. I knew a man who had a stroke b/c he had dental work done, got an infection, caused a bit (leaflet? not sure of terminology) to form on his heart which then broke off and went to his brain.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:19 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I know from when I worked as a Dental Assistant years back that people with certain heart problems (I don't recall what they were) had to take antibiotics before and after the procedure because of the risk of infection getting into their blood stream and the infection lodging in their heart and because their heart doesn't work correctly, this could cause a heart attack or something to that effect. It was my understanding that this routine had to be followed before and after any invasive medical procedure with these people.
I would think the same would apply to getting a tattoo but I am not a doctor.
I also would think given the possible seriousness, one would consult with their heart doctor before doing something like that just to make sure.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
risk of infection is a big issue (i have a compromised imune system)...but im obsessive compulsive about where i get my tats and how i look after them afterwards.
any good parlor will be clean, they sterilize all their equiptment and all needles are fresh...
even my dr said as long as im smart and carefull about it the risk of infection in a GOOD parlor is low...

the reason you dont need to take "just in case" antibiotics with a tattoo is because there shouldnt be infection present in the first place, to get "dislodged" and get into the blood stream (again this is assuming the parlor is clean and the artist follows all the protocals)

when theres a tooth problem theres so much bacteria in the mouth already, plus the risk of infection in cavities ect is high, the infection is already present and can very easily get into the blood stream..

(i hope this all makes sense)

the BIGGEST problem with tattoos and any heart condition is if there are blood thinners involved (this is why a good artist will not tattoo anyone drunk and why a good artist advises against asprin, both of which act as blood thinners) as use of blood thinners effects the tattoo process, not only is it harder to tattoo when theres ecsessive bleeding but it washes out the ink during the tattoo (causing needs for touch ups) and makes the tat prone to heavy scabbing and a longer healing time (and that heavy scabbing can also destroy the tattoo)

the risk of infection does become higher if your also on blood thinners because you bleed for longer after the inking and after you leave the shop the artist has aboslutly no control over what your new peice (and the open wound) is exposed to. (which is where aftercare is most important)

most problems with tattoos come from people not taking care of their tats afterwards during the healing process not the parlor itself...(again assuming a good parlor and artist)

again im immuno deficient and have 5 fairly large tattoos and have never had any issues, and my doctor loves them, she came with me for the last 2 i got and was so impressed with the artist and how clean the shop was (she heard alot of horror stories before hand about tattoo shops) that she got one herself about a month later from my artist lol.

if shes on blood thinners i think shes stupid for getting a tat without running it by her doctor first...
but otherwise, as long as she was smart about it, choose a good artist and a good shop and looks after it proprely during the entire healing...
i dont see why it should be an issue.

i understand your concerned about your friends safety...but at the same time...id hope that she did put real thought into this including running it past her dr about any meds shes taking.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
quote form the above article doesnt say avoid tattoos but instead
Quote:
Avoid piercing your body or putting tattoos with unprotected needles.
and if you go to a parlor and they are using already opend needles for peicing or tattooing, do not walk, but RUN away, the most basic tattoo/peicing practice is that sterile needles are used fresh in the packages and opend infront of the client to prove they are brand new, clean and sterile.

infact the entire station (machine/inks/needles for tats and needles/jewelry for peircings) should all be set up infront of the client.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:10 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
risk of infection is a big issue (i have a compromised imune system)...but im obsessive compulsive about where i get my tats and how i look after them afterwards.
any good parlor will be clean, they sterilize all their equiptment and all needles are fresh...
even my dr said as long as im smart and carefull about it the risk of infection in a GOOD parlor is low...

the reason you dont need to take "just in case" antibiotics with a tattoo is because there shouldnt be infection present in the first place, to get "dislodged" and get into the blood stream (again this is assuming the parlor is clean and the artist follows all the protocals)

when theres a tooth problem theres so much bacteria in the mouth already, plus the risk of infection in cavities ect is high, the infection is already present and can very easily get into the blood stream..

(i hope this all makes sense)

the BIGGEST problem with tattoos and any heart condition is if there are blood thinners involved (this is why a good artist will not tattoo anyone drunk and why a good artist advises against asprin, both of which act as blood thinners) as use of blood thinners effects the tattoo process, not only is it harder to tattoo when theres ecsessive bleeding but it washes out the ink during the tattoo (causing needs for touch ups) and makes the tat prone to heavy scabbing and a longer healing time (and that heavy scabbing can also destroy the tattoo)

the risk of infection does become higher if your also on blood thinners because you bleed for longer after the inking and after you leave the shop the artist has aboslutly no control over what your new peice (and the open wound) is exposed to. (which is where aftercare is most important)

most problems with tattoos come from people not taking care of their tats afterwards during the healing process not the parlor itself...(again assuming a good parlor and artist)

again im immuno deficient and have 5 fairly large tattoos and have never had any issues, and my doctor loves them, she came with me for the last 2 i got and was so impressed with the artist and how clean the shop was (she heard alot of horror stories before hand about tattoo shops) that she got one herself about a month later from my artist lol.

if shes on blood thinners i think shes stupid for getting a tat without running it by her doctor first...
but otherwise, as long as she was smart about it, choose a good artist and a good shop and looks after it proprely during the entire healing...
i dont see why it should be an issue.

i understand your concerned about your friends safety...but at the same time...id hope that she did put real thought into this including running it past her dr about any meds shes taking.
That makes a lot of sense about infection being present. I understand it more now. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
If she has to have anti-biotic before dental work she proably has on going heart problems or something else. Normally a dientist does h this after consultig wit patients physican and she isn't too smart not doig the same really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness