Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM

126 posts, read 335,616 times

Advertisements

New York Times: Concierge Medical Care With a Smaller Price Tag

This is the future of primary care. For a retaining fee of $150 to $200 a year, you can make same day appointment and see a real doctor (not nurse practitioner) who will spend time with you and track your progress in between your visits.

Moderator cut: no copyrighted images allowed

[quote=from article]One Medical Group doctors see at most 16 patients a day; the nationwide average for primary-care physicians is 25. They welcome e-mail communication with patients, for no extra charge. Moderator cut: too long a quote, 1-2 sentences only

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-02-2011 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Every time I'm in a doctors office all those other staff people look pretty busy. who is doing the work if half of them are gone?
This almost seems like "Lexus Lane" medical practice/
What happens when everyone wants to do this? Back to the same old scheduling?

Last edited by Charles; 02-01-2011 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Every time I'm in a doctors office all those other staff people look pretty busy. who is doing the work if half of them are gone?
If I had to take a stab at it, I would guess that a good part of the staff that you see at doctor offices are busy with insurance B.S. What is great about this idea is that it cuts insurance companies out of the picture and puts the doctor-patient relationship back to the way it should be--without the insurance companies trying to run everything.

I would say a good percentage--if not most--doctors today are slaves to the insurance companies who demand this ridiculous and impractical "overscheduling" of patients, which probably is at the heart of why doctors have no time to spend with their patients (my sister is a doctor, and she explained to me how insurance companies make a lot of doctors' lives a living hell).

My roommate went to one of these doctors who do a flat-year rate that excludes insurance, and he says it was just like he remembers it when he saw the doctor years ago as a child. The physician was able to spend a lot of time with him and really discuss the problem he was having.

It's a complete joke how it is with usual doctors: you spend most of the time with the nurse and perhaps 5-10 minutes (which generally seems very rushed) with the doctor. How any competent physician is suppose to come to an understanding of a patient's situation in that limited time is beyond me. Perhaps if every patient presented with a textbook illness it might be possible, but each human body is so individualized; illnesses can be rather complex and the way they present quite varied. Even the way medication works for each patient can vary a great deal.

I really hope this idea takes off. I am up to here with these meddling insurance companies trying to play doctor, telling patients what they can and can't have, telling doctors what they can and can't do. The hoops they make patients and doctors jump through to get their needed medical care is a great flaming pot of Moderator cut: rude and it couldn't come soon enough for me if all these damn parasitic insurance companies along with their thick-skulled executives waste away into the nothingness where they belong and deserve to be.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-02-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
If I had to take a stab at it, I would guess that a good part of the staff that you see at doctor offices are busy with insurance B.S. What is great about this idea is that it cuts insurance companies out of the picture and puts the doctor-patient relationship back to the way it should be--without the insurance companies trying to run everything.

I would say a good percentage--if not most--doctors today are slaves to the insurance companies who demand this ridiculous and impractical "overscheduling" of patients, which probably is at the heart of why doctors have no time to spend with their patients (my sister is a doctor, and she explained to me how insurance companies make a lot of doctors' lives a living hell).

My roommate went to one of these doctors who do a flat-year rate that excludes insurance, and he says it was just like he remembers it when he saw the doctor years ago as a child. The physician was able to spend a lot of time with him and really discuss the problem he was having.

It's a complete joke how it is with usual doctors: you spend most of the time with the nurse and perhaps 5-10 minutes (which generally seems very rushed) with the doctor. How any competent physician is suppose to come to an understanding of a patient's situation in that limited time is beyond me. Perhaps if every patient presented with a textbook illness it might be possible, but each human body is so individualized; illnesses can be rather complex and the way they present quite varied. Even the way medication works for each patient can vary a great deal.

I really hope this idea takes off. I am up to here with these meddling insurance companies trying to play doctor, telling patients what they can and can't have, telling doctors what they can and can't do. The hoops they make patients and doctors jump through to get their needed medical care is a great flaming pot ofModerator cut: rude and it couldn't come soon enough for me if all these damn parasitic insurance companies along with their thick-skulled executives waste away into the nothingness where they belong and deserve to be.

Where do you get that insurance is out of it? I think insurance is still in it completely. The concierge fee is an extra fee for patients to get the more individual service.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-02-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where do you get that insurance is out of it? I think insurance is still in it completely. The concierge fee is an extra fee for patients to get the more individual service.

The doctor that my roommate saw charged a flat rate of some-hundred dollars a year for a number of appointments. No insurance would be accepted. After speaking with this doctor, my roommate found that the physician was exasperated of dealing with insurance companies and wanted try to practice medicine without having anything to do with them. His business was doing well at the time my roommate spoke with him.

What the o. p. posted sounds similar to this. I'm not sure if this particular doctor or physician group works with insurance companies, but I have heard of other doctors trying this route (no insurances) and it having some success so far (also, according to my sister, insurance companies requiring doctors to overbook patients is a good part of the reason for the hours-long waits at doctor offices).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness