Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 AM

440 posts, read 1,691,722 times

Advertisements

I went to another ENT and he put me on Cipro 500mg 2 x aday for 14 days.. Been on it 4 days,and feel worse then I did before I started taking it..My head feels all congested and I was just wondering if the pills could be making this sinus and ear problem worse???? Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
I went to another ENT and he put me on Cipro 500mg 2 x aday for 14 days.. Been on it 4 days,and feel worse then I did before I started taking it..My head feels all congested and I was just wondering if the pills could be making this sinus and ear problem worse???? Thank you..
In 4 days the medication has not had time to build up in your system and actually work. Give it time and keep taking the medication as it is directed.

If you stop taking it now, you will have just taken enough to strengthen the bug and make it harder to get over.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 AM

Thanks.. I thought maybe this medication was making it worse.. He was hesitant to prescibe it...I am allergic to Avelox.. but so far no allergic reactions to the Cipro.. just seems like it is making me feel much worse....

Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Thanks.. I thought maybe this medication was making it worse.. He was hesitant to prescibe it...I am allergic to Avelox.. but so far no allergic reactions to the Cipro.. just seems like it is making me feel much worse....
I would call the doctor and speak with his nurse and let them know your symptoms and how exactly you are feeling worse. I am not a doctor or even a nurse. If you have questions its always good to speak with a professional.

I know that my body takes some time to respond to antibiotics. I have to take a really strong kind called Bextra and I have to take it for 10 days. I don't normally feel better until the end of the medication. That's why I always get some over the counter stuff to help with my symptoms while taking the antibiotics.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,793 times
I have had a really bad sinus infection for awhile now.. didn't realize that caused my ear ache as I never had one before. I'm on Amoxicillian 1,000 2x a day (slow release) for the past 6 days. Day 4 is actually when everything started loosening. I was prescribed a different antibiotic earlier for 4 days, but it came back. Doc told me to take it for 10 days straight and use a decongestant for the other symptoms. Hope you feel better.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Actually I had this happen a couple of times and it was the wrong medication for me. You may need another medication. If this is becoming a problem as in reoccurring then you might need to be on a 4-6 week plan of antibiotics. Also the antibiotics only gets rid of the infection not the fluid behind the ear drum which is making the ear problem come back. So for that you need guaifenesin to make it drain. A ENT told me this years ago when my youngest was having issues with this problem and his pediatrician wanted to put tubes in his ears. I wanted a second opinion and the ENT told me the Pediatrician knew better!!!! So my son was put on a liquid Guaifenesin and his problem went away and he did not need tubes in his ears.
So go to the store and pick up some Mucinex 12 hour Expectorant 600 mg and give it a try. Good Luck.
If you have allergies maybe the allergy medication has quit working may need to try another kind.
The thing is to keep things flowing and to not let the fluid sit in the sinuses or behind the ear drum to cause problems.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I agree 4days is not long enough and its not goign to sure the compalte problem just the infection and will contine afet sometime after the ful number of pills. Call the doctor if you have problems.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
I have had a really bad sinus infection for awhile now.. didn't realize that caused my ear ache as I never had one before. I'm on Amoxicillian 1,000 2x a day (slow release) for the past 6 days. Day 4 is actually when everything started loosening. I was prescribed a different antibiotic earlier for 4 days, but it came back. Doc told me to take it for 10 days straight and use a decongestant for the other symptoms. Hope you feel better.
Have you used a neti pot with a saline rinse?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM

Thanks for all your posts.. They have been very helpful..I am going to get the decongestant.. The only reason I was hesitant to be on one was this Ent in Greenbay, in December told me to NOT take any ...I went to the new Ent and he looked at me like what the heck...Sometimes it takes the right doctor.. I will continue to take the antibiotics with the decongestant and hope for the best.. God bless you all......P.s I have a neti pot and have been using it also...

Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your posts.. They have been very helpful..I am going to get the decongestant.. The only reason I was hesitant to be on one was this Ent in Greenbay, in December told me to NOT take any ...I went to the new Ent and he looked at me like what the heck...Sometimes it takes the right doctor.. I will continue to take the antibiotics with the decongestant and hope for the best.. God bless you all......P.s I have a neti pot and have been using it also...
Hope you get over this fast take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness