Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times

Advertisements

Should it be mandatory that you be shown x-rays, MRI's, blood tests, CAT scans, etc. prior to all surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:51 PM

72 posts, read 106,078 times
I think these things would be difficult to interpret for someone who hasn't studied the technique. That being said, I would find it doubtful that they would be withheld from a patient that asked to see them.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
They are required to show it to you, if you ask to see it. You have a right to all of your medical records. Personally though, I'd rather not have to see every detail, unless I ask for it, or unless the doctor has a specific need to show it to me.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
ditto the above. To many people, it would all be meaningless. But you can ask to see it and they will show you. I like to see my stuff, and in my experience the doctors are happy to show me what's what. Many hospitals now have websites where you can access all your medical information from home, and a some have even have teamed up with Google so you can access your records through a Gmail account!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Should it be mandatory that you be shown x-rays, MRI's, blood tests, CAT scans, etc. prior to all surgery?
Why don't you elaborate? I would expect a health care provider to share the results of any tests which were a cause for concern, outside of the range of 'normal'.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
And even if he showed them to you, what good would that do if you aren't qualified to interpret them? I mean - okay so you have this CAT scan. And the doctor says it indicates that you need surgery, because you have a doohickie in the 45-s.92 range, which clearly means that something is wrong with the hoosiewhatsis and if you don't do exploratory you could die of a thingamabob within 72 hours.

So you say "okay doc, let's see this notorious CAT scan." And he whips out the results and points to the middle of this series of lines and numbers, saying, "SEE? It's all right there!"

And you stare at it for awhile, and then, you nod sagely to the doctor and respond, "Ya know - you're absolutely right. Let's schedule it for next tuesday after your morning golf game."

In short, unless you are a doctor or medical technician, seeing the results of most of these things isn't gonna mean all that much to you.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
A doctor is required to provide the patient with "informed consent". That is different from sharing every aspect or minutia of a surgery.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:40 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,028 times
Yes, I would want to see it, whether I'm a layman or not. Then again, I'm inquisitive and want to learn.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,998 times
It's MY body and I want to see test results. For anything that needs further interpretation, the good doctor can take a moment and explain it to me.

Seriously, a lot of it isn't all that difficult to understand. Most blood tests will have normal ranges on it. X-rays and CT scans, you look for what looks different, although you may need some further information concerning them.

Anything you don't understand, you can always google, or look up on umpteen medical websites.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yes if a patient asks. I have had to stare at my x-rays since I was 15 because of a bone cyst, I can read my own now. There have been times I have had to go over the x-rays with medical students or doctors who are not familiar with my case and explain what has happened in the past. Or more then one occasion, medical professionals who have never seen a case like mine in real life.

I want to know what is going on with my body. I should have that right. When I was in high school, when the cyst first occurred, my doctor's office had a nurse who tried her best to keep the details of my treatment from me. I kicked up a fit about it, it was after all MY BODY !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness