Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever gotten one of those full body scans? You've heard of them, I'm sure - these people travel in a mobile unit and advertise that they're coming to the area, and will do a full body scan (CT? ultrasound?) for about $120-130 or so. Supposedly these scans can find areas potential problems before they become real issues.

Just wondered if anyone has had one, or if they know of someone who did, and is it on the level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 04:00 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
A total body bone scan is a lot different from a ct scan or ultra sound. With the TBBS, you would be given nuclear medicine, and come back at a certain later time that day, and hour or 2, and you would lay down for the scan. They will scan your body. You can see all of the nuc med jumping around the screen when finally it all meets, takes a while. This scan is a very good diagnostic scan for many many things.

For myself, it dx my rheumatoid Arthritis, as I am seronegative, and it does not show up in the blood. Drs use this scan on pts who have had cancer alot and are concerned the cancer has spread. Metastatic Ca will show on this scan. Things like Avascular Necrosis will show. This is a very good scan.

Now, A ct, MRI, or US are all things looking at a very specific area of your body. Your dr is usually ruling something out, because of a problem/symptoms you may be having. There is no way to go to a center and say... I need a ct of the chest for...? Sure, you could have one, and it may pick up some lymph nodes or nodules that you had no idea were there, and is a good thing to have found them, even a mass. Same with an MRI, but how do you know where to look?

Do you just go in and say... my stomach has been bothering me...they do a ct of abd/pelv? My shoulder hurts...they do MRI shoulder? What are they saying in the ad?

If you have insurance, it will cover most of the test, and this is about what you will be left with, as your copay or percentage. Maybe if you see your md and they suggest a certain test and then do it that way.. I dont know.

I do work in a drs office, so I am not just rambling, I order these things every day...all day....eeeek

Old 07-27-2007, 06:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
I am a bit leary of the type of scan that you are talking about. I know what you mean. That kind that's in a big van that stops off at shopping centers and scans anyone that walks in without a Drs. order. They have come here and have even stopped at churches, etc.

If the scans really were good, you can bet that there would be a set up locally that would make a million and not have to travel around the country. And every doctors office would have a unit. There's a reason that the ones done in a hospital or clinic cost so much. Those units costs zillions and have to be kept in specially cooled rooms because they generate so much heat.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:51 AM

436 posts, read 809,569 times
Full body scans sound interesting, but remember, they may pinpoint something, but further investigation is needed. Example- they may find a polyp in the colon. It does not mean it is benign or malignant. It means that you still will need a colonoscopy with a biopsy to make the determination. No surgeon will operate on anything based upon one of the mobnile scans alone.

Additionally, many of them are not covered by inusrance, so you will pay for that, as well as the additional testing which my be necessitated.

Best bet- annual physicals, and let the doctor determine what you need.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:51 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
I suppose that they have their place in the world; however, these absolutely are not equivalent to the scans offered at and by qualified providers and interpreted by board certified Radiologists (some of these may have arrangements to be read by Radiologists). My personal belief is that either these scans miss important findings or raise suspicion where there really isn't a problem. The informed patient demands that their scans are performed on an ACR accredited scanner or equipment by ARRT registered Technologists and read by ACR board certified Radiologists in a multidisciplinary setting. The only mobile scanning I would consider is Mammography as all providers have to meet strict and stringent federal (MQSA) and state guidelines.

http://www.acr.org/SecondaryMainMenuCategories/NewsPublications/FeaturedCategories/PeopleintheNews/More/ACRMemberSpeaksOutAgainstFullBodyScansDoc316.aspx (broken link)
http://www.acr.org/accreditation.aspx (broken link)
http://www.acr.org/MainMenuCategories/PatientInfo.aspx (broken link)
ARRT Home Page

Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Thanks for all those replies. That's pretty much what I was thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness