Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Firemen are not in the habit of showing up to put out fires with their hands and arms exposed. They probably never had a problem with it, because they wear protective eye coverings and inhalation protection, hats, long sleeves, fireproof gloves, long pants, socks, safety boots, and outer coats. Exposure to much of anything shouldn't be a very big problem to them.

I was concerned about an inhalation problem, but they weren't. And, they weren't wearing masks or respirators either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I was concerned about an inhalation problem, but they weren't. And, they weren't wearing masks or respirators either.
I understood that you should never burn poison ivy as the smoke can cause serious damage to the lining of the lungs/bronchi.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I am very susceptible to PI as well. I was hoping to find when checking this thread that someone had invented a skin block or something.
Say for hiking or yard work - spray on xxx and it provides a thin....xxxx barrier to your skin. I think something like this could work with the right material but I'm not a chemist.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I am very susceptible to PI as well. I was hoping to find when checking this thread that someone had invented a skin block or something.
Say for hiking or yard work - spray on xxx and it provides a thin....xxxx barrier to your skin. I think something like this could work with the right material but I'm not a chemist.
It's called IvyBlock:

Ivy block - FAQ

Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Anyone know of some real effect home remedies to dry out a poison ivy rash? I got some of my left earlobe out of all places and a spot or two on my right arm. Thanks

Old 06-10-2011, 04:44 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
I've been immune to it all my life. My sister has had a lifelong allergy. My husband, so far as I know, has had the usual common sensitivity to it all his life. I'm also immune to a lot of other things that are common allergens, so I chalk it up to having just that kind of immune system. I do wear gloves when I'm yanking on the vines, but I really don't worry about it because it never affects me. The gloves are more for traction than anything else. Ivy vines can be stubborn and slippery.

As for the air thing, I think I remember that now, about the burning and ash. So then to clarify: it -can- spread through the air, under the right circumstances (that being through ash from a leafpile containing ivy being burned in the next door neighbor's yard on a breezy day).
Even so, AnonChick......I am glad you use gloves when you are pulling out poison ivy.

My Dad was just like you, around poison ivy all of his life and never had a reaction........until he was in his late fifties.

He was cutting down a dead tree with poison ivy growing on it.....he just pulled it out of his way, as he had always done.

Except.....that time he had a horrible reaction and he just didn't get a rash, his whole arm swelled up like a stuffed suasage.....he had to go to a doctor.....it was really bad.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Anyone know of some real effect home remedies to dry out a poison ivy rash? I got some of my left earlobe out of all places and a spot or two on my right arm. Thanks
First, use soap and cool water to *gently* clean the area. Do Not Scrub!

You can try an oatmeal compress after that, but on your earlobe that probably isn't very practical. Tea tree can relieve the itch but its antihistimine properties aren't as impressive as other essential oils. If you have chamomile tea - not flavored tea, I mean a teabag filled with nothing except for dried chamomile blossoms, you could dunk the bag in boiling water just long enough to soak it. Take it out to cool, and then press it against your earlobe.

Chamomile is one of the strongest antihistimines in the plant world.

Those are the only home remedies I know about; I'm sure there are lots of others that other members can post for you to try.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:13 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Quote:
First, use soap and cool water to *gently* clean the area. Do Not Scrub!

You can try an oatmeal compress after that, but on your earlobe that probably isn't very practical. Tea tree can relieve the itch but its antihistimine properties aren't as impressive as other essential oils. If you have chamomile tea - not flavored tea, I mean a teabag filled with nothing except for dried chamomile blossoms, you could dunk the bag in boiling water just long enough to soak it. Take it out to cool, and then press it against your earlobe.

Chamomile is one of the strongest antihistimines in the plant world.

Those are the only home remedies I know about; I'm sure there are lots of others that other members can post for you to try.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
A man I was working with had been suffering from poison ivy for two weeks. I gave him one of my homeopathic remedies Rhus Tox (Rhus Toxicondendron), which is the genus name of poison ivy. He was relieved in just a few minutes.

If you've never used homeopathics, you'll probably do some reading but here's a quicky. If it's not the solution for an issue, there's never any harm. In my co-worker's case, it's exactly what he needed. Any health food store will have it.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:33 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Quote:
Your doctor is misinformed. Poison ivy can infect through dust in the air. You don't have to have direct contact with the plant, OR an animal who's touched it. You only need to be near the patch of ivy, and upwind of it, to become infected.
Absolutely true. My wife has always been highly allergic to it and she gets it systemically without being anywhere near it. I had always been immune - until I got lymphoma. Now I have the same problem as she has. I actually have the rash right now and was nowhere near poison ivy - and unfortunately my body doesn't fight it effectively. I have a feeling that I'll end up back on steroids again. Not happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness