Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times

Advertisements

Ok I am attempting again. Now is day 6 and I feel completely in the twilight zone. When does this crappy feeling end. I feel very off. Smoked for along time and 2 packs a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 03:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Ok I am attempting again. Now is day 6 and I feel completely in the twilight zone. When does this crappy feeling end. I feel very off. Smoked for along time and 2 packs a day.
Part of it is the increased levels of oxygen your body is getting. This is a good thing. Your lungs are cleaning out, your blood vessels are repairing themselves, and your brain now has the oxygen to build new connections.

Some people go to "oxygen bars" to get these benefits. Spin the effects as a positive! Think of it as getting a little high

Old 11-04-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Part of it is the increased levels of oxygen your body is getting. This is a good thing. Your lungs are cleaning out, your blood vessels are repairing themselves, and your brain now has the oxygen to build new connections.

Some people go to "oxygen bars" to get these benefits. Spin the effects as a positive! Think of it as getting a little high
Thanks for your reply. Yeah Im gonna stick with it. The alternative is not good, so a little pain now may pay off later.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 AM

249 posts, read 331,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Yeah Im gonna stick with it. The alternative is not good, so a little pain now may pay off later.
Good for you!

I smoked for a long time too and finally stopped. It's been 3 years and 8 months. I was on nicotine gum for 2 years ... w/ my doctor's approval. Then I was on regular gum for 1 year. Now I'm on toothpicks. LOL. I can't quite kick this oral fixation. But I absolutely LOVE being a NON-SMOKER

I'm sending you all the positive energy and support you need! This is tuff! But totally worth it!

Old 11-04-2014, 06:57 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
I've quit and started so many times I've lost track and yes, every time I quit I feel "off" for about two weeks. mentally, I'm not as sharp, my temper/nerves are much more sensitive and perhaps worst of all I'll get a wave of depression and sadness seemingly out of nowhere. Luckily, I've learned to expect these side effects and can usually get thru them or talk myself thru them.

This is the time of year I usually try and cut back/quit as winter is coming as I don't want to deal with the cold. I do not smoke inside my home or car so it is either quit or deal with smoking outside in 20 degree weather.

Sadly, I think the only way I'll be able to kick smoking once and for all will be to also give up coffee and alcohol. Alcohol especially is a trigger for me. I simply cannot go out to a bar and have a few beers with out smoking. It is torture.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:20 AM

249 posts, read 331,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Sadly, I think the only way I'll be able to kick smoking once and for all will be to also give up coffee and alcohol. Alcohol especially is a trigger for me. I simply cannot go out to a bar and have a few beers with out smoking. It is torture.
I know exactly what you're talking about! No doubt coffee and alcohol go hand in hand w/ smoking. I stopped one vice at a time. LOL. I stopped drinking alcohol 5+ years ago and coffee 3+ years ago. It's definitely helped w/ not smoking. However, w/in the past month I have periodically had coffee. I've been exhausted because of my upcoming move, and I've needed a boost. I gotta admit, it made me think about a cigarette. Not good! When I move next week I'll be back to no more coffee!

You gotta deal w/ your vices how ever you need to in order to get the result you want. And only you will know what tactic/technique will work. Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
quitting smoking is very difficult but the rewards are tremendous. keep at it. your body is detoxing. one reason why people go back to smoking after they have quit, is they have taken their quit for granted. forgot all the hard work it took them to be rid of it. it becomes a part of the past and your addicted mind set starts talking to you again. you can have just one puss. combating the addicted voice in your head is something you have to do on an occasion. sometimes the voice is very subtle. pay attention and keep focused on the future when the voice has died. there are also several good quit smoking forums. keep at it.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Nicotine is a stimulant much like Caffeine but you no longer have to smoke to get a Nicotine fix.

Do I Have Nicotine Withdrawal? | Smokefree.gov

Quote:
Withdrawal is different for every smoker‚ but here is a list of the most common symptoms:

Feeling down or sad
Having trouble sleeping
Feeling irritable‚ on edge‚ grouchy
Having trouble thinking clearly and concentrating
Feeling restless and jumpy
Slower heart rate
Feeling more hungry or gaining weight
Nicotine patches are now ruled safe to use over an extended period of time, so the poster that mentioned they needed doctor recommendation to use long term, would no longer need a doctor recommendation to continue use over an extended period of time.

Nicotine and withdrawal symptoms

Quote:
Nicotine is the ingredient that causes physical addiction to tobacco.

It's a mild stimulant and increases activity in the brain just like caffeine, cocaine and amphetamine.

It's also a powerful toxin, which is why you probably coughed your way through that first cigarette all those years ago.
Corrections needed for 2nd quote. The reason you coughed your way through that first cigarette and continue to cough with each one you smoke, is because of the combustion or fire. If you were trapped in a raging fire you would start coughing quite the same as you do when smoking cigarettes. If you are trapped in that raging fire for too long you'll die. Eventually cigarette smoke will steal your breath until you have none left and will eventually have the same effect as that raging fire.

Cigarette addiction has been misunderstood for many years. Nicotine when used on its own is not addictive. All the other chemicals found in cigarettes is what is addicting.

I quit smoking over 4 years ago the first day with an e-cigarette. I have enough trouble thinking "clearly and concentrating"; I will not give up nicotine anytime soon!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I've quit and started so many times I've lost track and yes, every time I quit I feel "off" for about two weeks. mentally, I'm not as sharp, my temper/nerves are much more sensitive and perhaps worst of all I'll get a wave of depression and sadness seemingly out of nowhere. Luckily, I've learned to expect these side effects and can usually get thru them or talk myself thru them.

This is the time of year I usually try and cut back/quit as winter is coming as I don't want to deal with the cold. I do not smoke inside my home or car so it is either quit or deal with smoking outside in 20 degree weather.

Thanks for all the replies. Well its one week today and I feel off still off! Cold like symptoms, and just general malaise. I wont go back but wondering does this crap end soon. I just don't feel like me. This whole deal sucks.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Nicotine is a stimulant much like Caffeine but you no longer have to smoke to get a Nicotine fix.

Do I Have Nicotine Withdrawal? | Smokefree.gov

Nicotine patches are now ruled safe to use over an extended period of time, so the poster that mentioned they needed doctor recommendation to use long term, would no longer need a doctor recommendation to continue use over an extended period of time.

Nicotine and withdrawal symptoms

Corrections needed for 2nd quote. The reason you coughed your way through that first cigarette and continue to cough with each one you smoke, is because of the combustion or fire. If you were trapped in a raging fire you would start coughing quite the same as you do when smoking cigarettes. If you are trapped in that raging fire for too long you'll die. Eventually cigarette smoke will steal your breath until you have none left and will eventually have the same effect as that raging fire.

Cigarette addiction has been misunderstood for many years. Nicotine when used on its own is not addictive. All the other chemicals found in cigarettes is what is addicting.

I quit smoking over 4 years ago the first day with an e-cigarette. I have enough trouble thinking "clearly and concentrating"; I will not give up nicotine anytime soon!
interesting that you say this because I have an e cig for nicotine replacement and I find that I don't even want it. So its got to be something else in these darn cigarettes that made me an addict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness