Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Just wash them off and you'll be OK.

Of course, you should wash off ANY fresh fruits and vegetables because pesticides are not unique to apples. Also, peel off a couple of layers of head lettuce and onions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I just read that an apple a day might be the worst thing for you because they are sprayed with pestisides. would peeling the apple make it safe to eat or is the pesticide inside the apple also?
I wash my apples in a large pot of hot(ish) water with a cup of vinegar. This process includes a brisk going over with a clean cloth under running water in the rinse process.

I clean all my raw vegetables in a similar manner - but with apples I feel that the very warm water solution is necessary.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Arsenic was used in pesticides during the 1970's, and leeched into the soil. As a result, pretty much anywhere you find apples, you'll find low (trace) levels of organic and inorganic arsenic. It's not enough to make anyone sick, EVEN if they ate a whole apple pie by themselves, without washing the apples first.

It's a good idea to rinse the apples off anyway, even if it's organic, because organic apples are not immune to birds flying overhead and pooping on the trees - and the apples growing from them. Or squirrels taking a leak while they skitter to and fro so effortlessly from branch to branch.

And so on and so forth. I'd say -especially- for organics, even more than non-organics, you should rinse them. Because organics aren't washed and waxed first - and commercial grade are. Also that wax is edible.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The downside of McIntosh, is that they are the quickest to degenerate into a soft, tasteless, mealy apple. If you don't get them very quickly after harvest, they are the worst of apples, even worse the the dreaded Delicious.

Recently, here, Gala were quite good and inexpensive, with a fairly decent shelf life.

If I can get fresh-picked applies within a day of picking, I can eat a half a bushel in a week or so, no matter what the variety is. Otherwise, I usually don't subject myself to the disappointment of buying applies.
Controlled Atmosphere (CA) storage is pretty good nowadays so apples are often quite edible well after picking. Where I live we have some excellent varieties that keep quite a long time. My favorite right now are Nittanys and Yorks.

I wouldn't worry too much about pesticides. The government's outlawed the harmful ones.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Like Heartsong...I too use vinegar...if I buy any fruit I just rinse it in a bowl of water with a small amount of vinegar.......Washing Vegetables With Vinegar | Good Green Habits

Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
I've eaten a bazillion apples and have never washed one. I do wipe and shine them only because they look so cool. I'm 49 yrs old and still don't have a second head growing out of my neck because of not washing apples.

People worry too much about things that really don't warrant it. You know, don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I remember seeing a news story awhile back about fruits and vegetables that were more likely to be contaminated. Apples were on the list of those more likely to have pesticides on them. Found the list here.

Mom's Corner: 12 Most Important Fruits/Vegetables to Buy Organic

Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Or squirrels taking a leak while they skitter to and fro so effortlessly from branch to branch.
Human urine is sterile, and I have no reason to assume that squirrel urine is not. So squirrel urine on your apples will do less harm than rainwater.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Wash your apples. Buy from an orchard that practices integrated pest management. Or buy organic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Human urine is sterile
It is ... until it leaves the body.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
<snip>...It is ... until it leaves the body.
Good point, bacteria tends to form as the urine dries. No to mention a rather unplesant odor.

Organic or not, it's probably best to wash fruits and veggies before you eat them. Even organic fruit is susceptible to perfectly natural contaminants. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness