Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 PM

124 posts, read 220,589 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this wonderful world. I just recently started eating healthier and as a result I get sick whenever I eat anything processed, spicy, containing gluten, or containing dairy. I get bad indigestion, acid reflux, and sometimes anxiety.

I should really go vegan but I love real dairy so much (I hardly even eat meat).

Anyways, what are some of the food sensitivities you all have (or have developed over time) and what are the symptoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
You're not alone. Many food additives in processed/commercial foods give many of us a reaction.

Google MSG, for one--it can cause anxiety, rapid, pounding heartbeat, sweating, elevated blood pressure, insomnia and muscle aches. There's even a syndrome called Chinese Food Syndrome because many Chinese restaurant dishes can cause this reaction due to MSG and high salt content from soy sauce.

I'm very sensitive to MSG which makes eating out challenging...anything spicy, breaded, salad dressing, gravies and such come pre-loaded with MSG thanks to the manufacturers that supply restaurants...

Dairy is a common problem for many...as is gluten found in some grains. It takes trial and error to discover which foods are your triggers and which ones are okay for you to eat without effects.

We're all so different, aren't we? Funny, I can eat most hard cheeses with no problem, but yogurt and melted butter set me off with stomach cramps and bloating--go figure--it's the opposite for most people.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 AM

124 posts, read 220,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You're not alone. Many food additives in processed/commercial foods give many of us a reaction.

Google MSG, for one--it can cause anxiety, rapid, pounding heartbeat, sweating, elevated blood pressure, insomnia and muscle aches. There's even a syndrome called Chinese Food Syndrome because many Chinese restaurant dishes can cause this reaction due to MSG and high salt content from soy sauce.

I'm very sensitive to MSG which makes eating out challenging...anything spicy, breaded, salad dressing, gravies and such come pre-loaded with MSG thanks to the manufacturers that supply restaurants...

Dairy is a common problem for many...as is gluten found in some grains. It takes trial and error to discover which foods are your triggers and which ones are okay for you to eat without effects.

We're all so different, aren't we? Funny, I can eat most hard cheeses with no problem, but yogurt and melted butter set me off with stomach cramps and bloating--go figure--it's the opposite for most people.
Yep, my mom and I were just talking about MSG the other day. She's sensitive and I'm thinking I am too.

I'm the same as you with yogurt and cheese. I'm glad I like cheese more

Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
There's lactose intolerance (like you have, by the sounds of it) and dairy ALLERGY. I have the dairy allergy--can't eat anything at all with dairy. I'll pay for it the next day with bloating, headache, fatigue and more.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
MSG in all its many forms makes me ill; as well as acidic foods (citrus, tomato sauces).

Here's a list of all of the ingredients food manufacturers use to sneak MSG into processed foods: Hidden Sources of MSG

Old 12-22-2011, 04:18 PM

219 posts, read 439,331 times
Quote:

Also food additives are not tested for synergistic qualities. If you look at the typical dominos pizza, you are ingesting about a dozen different preservatives and chemicals at one time.

Quote:
Most people can't digest dairy anyway. Just because you see it on tv or you were essential force fed this stuff in public school doesn't make it healthy.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
I think MSG is a slow death and in some cases it's instantaneous. It is already known to cause autism, Alzheimers, epileptic seizures, asthma and more including what is already mentioned below. I've just started reading this site which looks interesting: MSGTruth.org

Quote:

Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 PM

219 posts, read 439,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
I think MSG is a slow death and in some cases it's instantaneous. It is already known to cause autism, Alzheimers, epileptic seizures, asthma and more including what is already mentioned below. I've just started reading this site which looks interesting: MSGTruth.org
MSG is an excitotoxin, it overexcites your brain cells and they die.

EXCITOTOXINS: The Taste That Kills

Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I have always had a somewhat compromised immune system, with a lot of allergies and sensitivities. I have recently become very allergic/sensitive to certain things - any food additives, some preservatives, fermented items like soy or other asian sauces, and foods with a lot of histamine. Last week I suffered and entire week of horrific heart palpitations (irregular beating) and other unpleasant symptoms, and I have tied it to certain things I had been consuming. I made some changes this week and the symptoms went away. I think I am very yeast sensitive.

One thing I learned that has helped me a LOT, is the importance of eating/drinking alkaline foods. There are some charts on the web about acid/alkaline foods/drinks, did you know that a cola is the WORST acid thing you can consume? It takes 10 glasses of high PH alkaline water to neutralize one glass of cola, and the ones with aspartame are the worst! I am drinking lemon water all day long (very alkalizing), as well as eating more fruits vegetables. I have cut out yeast items and anything else I think might give me a problem. By the way, even when people don't have a full-blown reaction, eating a problem item can make one feel nervous or anxious at the least. You know you are in balance if you feel calm and good most of the time. I definitely agree that MSG is the devil!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
When I was on statin drugs, I couldn't eat ground beef... Horriable, horriable acid reflux. Once I quit the drug, I can now eat ground beef and no longer have acid reflux.. (however I have changed to ground turkey!)

I recently went for allergy testing and they did blood work looking for any food allergies... I had none.

I do have Migraine Associated Vertigo and am finding a lot of foods are my migraine triggers.. DRATS! I pretty much avoid anything processed and cook my own food from scratch now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness