Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 06:26 PM

71 posts, read 274,515 times

Advertisements

I had a Laminectomy in May 07' after 3 years of cronic back pain. They discovered in my MRI that I had one severe herniated disk at L1 and another smaller herniated disk further up. We concentrated on the larger herniation with hopes that physical therapy and time would heal the other.

First of all, I'll say first hand that I was so mad at myself after the surgery because I was so scared to do it that I was in complete agony for so long. The surgery almost instantly fixed it and I stayed in the hospital for 2 days, and then the obvious healing time required which was about 8 weeks. If I knew it would have been that easy, I would have had it done earlier, but I kept trying the physical therapy, chiropractor, medications, blah blah, in fear of the reports that say the surgery "may not" fix it.

I did lose about 40 lbs after the surgery on a diet, which I'm sure helped with the recovery.

In November of 07' I found out I was pregnant. Obviously a huge concern of mine was if my back was healed yet, since it'd only been 6 months. I did have back pain around the 3rd-5th month, which I would rate between 3-5 on a scale of 1-10. I went to physical therapy during that time, which worked wonders. I am now 3 weeks to delivery, and am experiencing intermittent extreme pain (rate at an 8). I had it for most of the day two days ago, it was completely gone yesterday, and I'm feeling it again now this evening. It's quite odd, since you don't even notice it coming on and going. I'm pretty sure it's the pelvic region expanding for baby's arrival. (Just don’t lay down or you’re not getting back up!)

However, my point in all of this is that pregnancy IS possible, there are just a couple things to get checked out in the beginning before trying to conceive and expect pain. These are: Can you have a vaginal delivery? Can you have a spinal epidural? Which pain medications can you use? But always go with your doctors suggestions.

I use vicodin, which is rated as a "C" online which means that if you do not have to take it, don't. However the doctors are ok with me taking it, they just don't want to see me getting hooked on these as that would mean the baby comes out with an addiction to the meds. I handle pain extremely well and I've had to resort to the vicodin both times already in the last 3 days...so have something in the medicine cabinet before the pain hits.

I am curious to see how my body will adjust back to the post pregnancy shape and if that'll pinch nerves. We'll see. But I still do not regret the surgery.

I noticed somebody else asking about the smoking. I did smoke and quit about a year before my surgery. They do say that if you smoke, it makes it harder or nearly impossible for your body to heal. If you can quit, do. Why pay for a surgery if you have no intention of letting your body heal?

Moderator cut: no posting email addresses

Last edited by Suzet2262; 07-03-2008 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: posted email address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,209 times
Thumbs up Herniated disk problems

I have had several issues with herniated disks. L5-S1, and now L4-L5. I have had successful treatment with Disk decompression therapy. My chiropractor has a DRX9000 which is sort of like traction but not as hard on your body. I would try contacting a chiropractor and see if they can refer you to someone. You might even try google to locate someone in your area

Old 07-20-2008, 02:53 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I absolutely agree with Tao. I had the same experience. I had a ruptured disk at L5-S1 and, since I was a teacher, delayed the surgery until school vacation. I lived on Vicodin to get me through the days.

The surgery fixed the pain, yes, but I was left with a numb right leg and foot. My neurosurgeon waited to see if the nerves would repair over time but they were just too damaged. The motor nerves were injured, too, so I have a difficult time "planting" my right foot. I should NOT have waited to have the surgery.

So, my advice is not to put it off.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:15 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,207 times
My husband was a cop on duty 30 years ago and a priest ran into him with his car. Needlesstosay, he has severe back problems now. His xrays show disks are a mess and the L5 is not where it's supposed to be and sitting on a nerve we are assuming because he can't stand and can barely walk anywhere. His left leg is dead. We have an appt with a neurosurgeon that we already know and adore next week. I am so sure of him we will do whatever he tells us to do. He's that good. He invented that ciber knife. He saved my life and now hopefully he can help him.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
My husband was a cop on duty 30 years ago and a priest ran into him with his car. Needless to say, he has severe back problems now. His xrays show disks are a mess and the L5 is not where it's supposed to be and sitting on a nerve we are assuming because he can't stand and can barely walk anywhere. His left leg is dead. We have an appt with a neurosurgeon that we already know and adore next week. I am so sure of him we will do whatever he tells us to do. He's that good. He invented that cyberknife. He saved my life and now hopefully he can help him.
Wow! John R. Adler, Jr. is your Dr.
Hope all goes well for your hubby if he needs surgery.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:51 PM

71 posts, read 274,515 times
Default Follow-up

It's been one month since I've had the baby. I delivered via emergency c-section so I can not comment on the how a vaginal delivery will affect the laminectomy area.

First of all, the epidural that was put in my spine was above the spinal surgery area. This DID affect the epidural. I was only partially numbed and we believed that scar tissue may have blocked it from doing it's job completely. I had to have a local put in to complete the c-seciton.

I did not have back pain the entire week I was in the hospital recovering. I did have SEVERE pain afterwards, about 2 weeks after. It was enough that I literally was dragging myself up the staircase holding onto the railing. My husband was behind me on the way up to make sure I didn't collapse backwards. (That's literally what it felt like I was going to do.) I could not get out of bed the entire evening - or roll in bed. Not exactly sure what triggered it, but I think it was just a mix of laying in the hospital bed for so long, losing so much weight so quick (30 lbs in 2 weeks) holding the baby, and not having core muscles to use (c-section and back surgery.)

The next day, the pain dropped back down to a 3. I still have about a 2-3 level of pain a month later. It is however getting much better. It does make breastfeeding difficult because of the angle sitting when feeding. Maybe I'm just doing that wrong though.

I still don't regret the back surgery because I know I would have been ten times worse if I didn't have it done. I know there are skeptics out there, but this is my opinion.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,396 times
pebblesflorida,
I too have seen Dr. Finn for 3 bulging/herniated disks on my 3-4. 4-5, & 5-S1 and a cyst near my spine. The 4-5 disk is actually leaking disc fluid. I've been living with the excruciating pain in my back and leg since August of 2007. I've tried the shots, 3 of them and physical therapy and it's only gotten worse. Due to the length of time on Oxycontin it takes more and more to numb the pain 240/mg a day now just so I can co-exist somewhat normally.
I was also told by Dr. Finn that the surgerical procedure would make me better then ever before. I've also seen other Surgeons and the conclusion has been the same. I will need to have a stabilizing procedure from the L3 to the sacrum (S1), P cages in the front and rods in the back. Since the Surgerons aren't offering any other alternatives (doing nothing is not an option) I believe surgery is my only hope if I am to ever going to be pain free again.
I have co-workers that had the same procedure and were greatful they did. It was a night and day difference for them with no ill effects. My surgery has been scheduled for mid-October. At this point I welcome it, it could not come soon enough for me.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:29 AM
tao tao started this thread

721 posts, read 3,189,362 times
I just posted on the other back pain thread where I told my story so I'm not going to write it all down again (here's the link if you want to read it: http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...ctor-said.html)

I had the surgery a few months ago and am now about 95% pain-free most of the time.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Tao,
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I was diagnosed with a herniated disk 11 years ago and spent nearly 3 years trying to relieve the pain and discomfort. I finally got it sorted out first with accupuncture and massage, then with yoga (which has since solved it completely). Now, I have no pain and need no pain meds.

Even though you had the surgery, you may have some muscle balance issues which can make the pain and tension return. Sometimes its an overly tight psoas muscle (which connects at the L5/S1) which pulls the vertabrae out of line and pushes the disk out the wrong way. If you sit at a desk and/or drive most of the day, chances are your psoas is tight and needs a release. Even if your psoas is not the root of the problem, greater flexibility there can help relieve some tension and pain. Tight hamstrings also can be pretty unhelpful since an imbalance in the muscles on the front and backs of your legs will pull the back out of alignment.

If you feel up to it, find a licensed massage therapist with experience in trigger point therapy and see if they can get you loosened up. Then, if you feel up to it, find a RYT certified yoga teacher (or better yet, yoga therapist) and work on rebalancing your alignment. It takes some time but it may work for you like it did for me.

Best of luck.

Namaste,

XP

Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I just got my MRI results back and found out I have a severely herniated disc and I'm going to need surgery. I would love to hear from anyone who has gone through the same thing. What can I expect after surgery? Is there anything I need to know that I might not be thinking about? I know nothing about all this, just that my disc is herniated and I need surgery. Will I have to sleep on my stomach after surgery? What's the recovery time?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
I'm curious, what have your symptoms been? Just typical back pain or can you specify if something is more ..? I hurt my back about 3 weeks ago, just finally went to the doctor when it became more than the normal back ache. I'm fairly certain that there is something going on but he won't do the MRI just yet...
I'm just curious what you had going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness