Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times

Advertisements

I guess if you rarely get sick then you may assume you have a strong immune system. And if you have certain diseases then you know you have a compromised immune system. But otherwise, is there a way to measure the strength of one's immune system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
One test I can think of is a "immunodeficiency Panel 2", which is what I took recently. I was told people with HIV take these tests a lot but my doctor ordered it for me since I was feeling fatigued for a long time. Not sure how useful it is for measuring your overall immune system but it measure T-cells, natural killer cells and other cells that fight infections.

Or you could just talk to an immunologist, they would probably know if you can take any tests. Were you concerned with something in particular or just curious, as most people don't take tests to specifically measure their immune system unless they have symptoms?

Usually for my annual checkups I just get a CBC and Complete Metabolic profile blood test to make sure everything is ok.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
I am just curious, and also because this phrase 'immune system' is frequently mentioned in discussion of diseases, infections and prevention, yet it seems so abstract, unlike, say, blood pressure, or blood count. For example it's easy to comprehend "If you have high blood pressure (which you know yes or no), you are more likely to have heart attack", but not something like "Whether you will be infected or not depends on your immune system".

Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
If you do take a test to check your immune system just remember that these tests often have wide ranges. You could be at the bottom of the normal range and the doctor will say nothing is wrong with you. You could also be out of the range and the doc will say it's still ok. For example I haven't been feeling good for a while but most of my blood tests are "normal". There are some things that blood tests can't detect.

If you're immune test comes back normal, which I think they would if you're healthy I'd just concentrate of living a healthy lifestyle. IMO I don't think there's a need for any kind of an immune test if you're healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness