Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

I've always been skeptical about chiropractors, you know, mostly because of that persistent "chiropractors are quacks" rumor. So even though I've had some back-breaking aches in my day, I've never gone that particular pain management route. Just because I figured it wouldn't do anything to help.

Chiropractor Dangers Will Send Chills Down Your Spine | The Stir
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've always been skeptical about chiropractors, you know, mostly because of that persistent "chiropractors are quacks" rumor. So even though I've had some back-breaking aches in my day, I've never gone that particular pain management route. Just because I figured it wouldn't do anything to help.

Chiropractor Dangers Will Send Chills Down Your Spine | The Stir
Eh, your loss. I have a great chiro that I see once a month that helps me immensely. And that link you posted wasn't exactly a scientific study or anything. If you're scared to go, don't go.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:25 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
I had a cousin that was being treated by a chiropractor for back problems and he found out later he had Cancer in his back. This has been over 15 years ago.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Our chiropractor is excellent. He is also a college professor 1 day a week teaching anatomy and physiology. He has helped my husband tremendously with his herniated discs, osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis. He even ordered the MRI for my DH.I wouldn't trade him for anything. I understand people are skeptical and we were too before we started going him 4 years ago. It's now to the point where my husband only has to see him once a month instead of 3 times a week.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
Love my chiropractor. It was the ONLY thing that took care of my sciatica! And my husband has headaches for YEARS. They are NO more! Works,,no lie!

Greenchili

Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I used to see a chiropractor for neck and shoulder pain. At first I felt great. Then I realized other things were happening that required me to see the chiro more often. For example - my hips were feeling sore, my lower back began to hurt, my ears were constantly ringing, I had nosebleeds and headaches, and one time - this was a few hours after getting adjusted at the chiro - I was in the shower rinsing my hair out and my neck totally locked, any movement at all would send these excruciating sharp pains all through my body. I went to see my regular doctor and he said to stop going to the chiropractor. He said my initial neck and shoulder pain was due to having larger breasts than my frame can sufficiently handle (I wear good bras, it's not the bras... I have considered reduction but my husband thinks I'm crazy...). Anyway... I stopped going to the chiro and slowly... it took a couple of months... but slowly I started feeling normal again.

Maybe it just depends on the person, and their chiro.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,269 times
I will never go to a chiro again. My hips are quite damaged from visiting a chiro and being "adjusted." I was a healthy 20-something-year-old when I went to the chiro because of headaches and neck pain (likely due to stress), and wound up with hip issues. Hmph. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but I highly doubt it based on my history.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I'm with you, John. Everyone I personally know that sees a chiropractor, seems to quickly end up with chronic problems that require seeing a chiropractor ongoing, indefinitely.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I worked back-office for a year in a chiropractic clinic, and I quit because of ethical matters. I was offered free services, but I never accepted.

Why? Luckily, this chiropractor used to go out and have drinks before her evening patients arrived, and you know the saying: Drunken mind speaks the truth!

When she told me there were very unethical chiropractors out there who can do certain types of adjustments, which can have you coming back for the rest of your life, that put a chill down my spine!

And not just that! I felt so sorry for many of these personal injury patients, demanding they come back day after day after day, week after week, just to bleed the insurance company and/or bank account. There was one accident victim patient who had religiously come back everytime she told him to, and she told me, privately: This man will never get better!

So! You put this poor guy thru all this torture, of driving thru all that traffic everyday, he religiously follows your instructions, and there's no hope for him? Please! Off with your head!!!

Yes, I'm sure there's some honorable ones out there, but I ain't taken no chances!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I worked back-office for a year in a chiropractic clinic, and I quit because of ethical matters. I was offered free services, but I never accepted.

Why? Luckily, this chiropractor used to go out and have drinks before her evening patients arrived, and you know the saying: Drunken mind speaks the truth!

When she told me there were very unethical chiropractors out there who can do certain types of adjustments, which can have you coming back for the rest of your life, that put a chill down my spine!

And not just that! I felt so sorry for many of these personal injury patients, demanding they come back day after day after day, week after week, just to bleed the insurance company and/or bank account. There was one accident victim patient who had religiously come back everytime she told him to, and she told me, privately: This man will never get better!

So! You put this poor guy thru all this torture, of driving thru all that traffic everyday, he religiously follows your instructions, and there's no hope for him? Please! Off with your head!!!

Yes, I'm sure there's some honorable ones out there, but I ain't taken no chances!
You know, there are always bad apples. I do know of a chiropractor like you describe. But it isn't just chiropractors - there are plenty of MDs and dentists out there who operate the same way. Many are in it for the buck these days and it is not in their best interests for their patients to get well. I am glad I DO have a chiro I trust and that has helped me, same for my dentist. Not real happy with my current MD, tho'....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness