Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,662 times

Advertisements

hi can anyone shed some light please? my husband had hart surgery 2 wks ago he has been on antibiotics since but now infection has been ruled out? his white cells are up but there not stopping them, im very confused, can anyone please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Antibiotics are routinely prescribed after most surgeries, to prevent an infection later. A large part of the body has been opened up and exposed to the air. Even though they do their best to keep operating rooms, equipment, and their hands clean, something might slip in. The "inside" of the body isn't used to defending itself against stuff that the skin normally keeps out.

A 1-2 week course of antibiotics is standard, your dh should complete ALL of them. You certainly don't want an infection in the heart!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Not true, antibiotics are NOT routinely used after surgery unless there is reason to suspect infection.

Antibiotics won't "prevent" an infection only treat an existing infection. Orthopaedic surgery involving implants typically is preceded by a single dose of IV antibiotics prior to the skin incision but NO antibiotics after surgery.

A 2 week course of antibiotics after surgery is not standard of care.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,535 times
An elevated white blood cell count can possibly indicate an infection. You need to discuss this with his physician.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not true, antibiotics are NOT routinely used after surgery unless there is reason to suspect infection.

Antibiotics won't "prevent" an infection only treat an existing infection. Orthopaedic surgery involving implants typically is preceded by a single dose of IV antibiotics prior to the skin incision but NO antibiotics after surgery.

The OP is talking about heart surgery, not orthopedic surgery. I've had plates screwed onto my radius and ulna, a steel rod inserted down my femur, had all three of these devices removed once the healing process was complete, had arthroscopic surgery on my knee, and have -not- received antibiotics for any of it.

However, my dad, my ex-boss, an aunt, a cousin, and the guy at the library all had heart surgery of various types, and all had routine antibiotic therapy following surgery. This is typical especially with implants, to prevent the body from rejecting the implant, and is part of the healing process -following- the surgery, since the body can't reject something that hasn't been put there yet.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
You need to ask hus doctor(s) this question as no one here can give you a definite answer ;really

Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

Hmmm....guess all my doctors were quacks?

Or possibly antibiotics are now on the $hit list? I've had quite a bit of orthopedic surgery, too, and don't feel like listing them. the major cause of artificial joint failure is infection, immediately after surgey and years after. Anytime I even have routind dental work done I'm given antibiotics, usually 1-2 days worth.

It used to be, you could get antibiotics, but pain pills were seen as some great evil, a moral weakness, etc. Now its just the opposite. They literally throw pain meds at you, but try asking for an antibiotic and they look at you like you're some sort of werido!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness