Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sure, but why would that make my blood pressure go down?

I'm sure it was coincidental, and I'm stopping smoking again in couple weeks - if my BP goes back up my doc is going to be pissed. We've already discussed, that with my medical history, I'm probably a different species.
Experiencing the same thing with alcohol, I was a regular drinker about 2-3 beers weekdays and fairly heavy on weekends - upto 4-10 each day on Sat and Sun while socializing. I have followed this pattern for the past 5 yrs or so (before which I did not drink much at all).

Since the past month, I do not drink on the weekdays at all and on Sat and Sun I have probably 1-2 beers that's it, ever since, I have been having these blood pressure issues. I thought that the BP would actually GO DOWN from not drinking!

The only explanation I have is that perhaps it is mild alcohol withdrawal which I have read does elevate BP. Because the stimulant has dissappeared from the body perhaps the body is having an averse reaction to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Some alcoholics have to be hospitalized while they detox to manage their blood pressure safely. So yes, it does affect BP.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:35 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,501 times
Alcohol lowers BP but only for a short time then you get rebound. People who drink a lot and have BP issues really need to watch it.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You should be monitored by your doctor. At your age, you are probably at the "watch your salt intake" stage. Bottom line is that blood pressure medicine is cheap and helpful.
The most important thing is that, once you are diagnosed with high blood pressure, you will be less insurable, so if your doctor says cut out salt, then do it, so you can avoid having a diagnosis.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Your pressure is perfect- half of the problem comes from the mind- I can have a high reading of 150 - and lower it in seconds by calming down...if your pressure gets to low it might be that you do not have enough fluid in you- Some medication are a combination of a water pill and BP medicine...be careful with these they can dry you out if you don't need the second drug...Best to understand that those with naturally high energy and over active minds will function like super humans- BUT you burn out quickly - High BP can also blow out your kidneys...that you have to watch...above all- monitor yourself and keep on top of your doctor...There is no reason to be on these meds for life...Sleep well and learn not to stress - it will make a huge difference...Like I said- I have seen my pressure go from a dangerously high reading - to a perfect one within 30 seconds......RELAX.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I checked my blood pressure a few weeks ago and it was 120/77 (barely pre-hypertensive)... I am in my late 30s, exercise about 3 or so times a week, 5-6, 139lbs and try to live a healthy lifestyle as much as I can. I don't drink during the week but Fri/Sat/Sun I drink 3-4 drinks a day...trying to cut that down as well.

My question was this... a few days ago, midweek, after my 40 min workout (cardio and 10 mins or resistance training) around 8pm or so (it was about 10 mins after I had finished) I went to the drug store and measured my BP. It was 125/83 which really surprised me.

I thought BP actually falls after exercise..so I have read, is this not true?

How did my BP jump from 120/77 to 125/83? Is this something I should be worried about? How is this reading for my age?
I am not convinced those BP in the stores are very accurate. I have seen them vary 10 to 20 points in 5 minutes...

Old 07-21-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
120/77 doesn't sound "pre=hypertensive" to me!
actually some doctos do put the border at 120 now...It used to be 140. one of these days we will be told anything over 105/over 50 is boarderline.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
well, today just for kicks I went to the same machine in the morning, on my way to work, and did a check. Today's reading was a dangerous 132/82!

As of a month ago I actually changed my diet to lower sodium, I've been exercising a lot more, lost a few lbs more, regularly eating steel cut oats for breakfast, eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, have completely cut out alcohol and most saturated fats....and....

my blood pressure has increased 12 points? Must be a joke! I am going to test it again some other place to be sure... I asked the pharmacist at the CVS if the machine was calibrated and she said it was and gives accurate readings...well...

I am going to ask my girlfriend to take her reading as she got herself checked just the other day and had a reading of 113/75
not to minamize this, but you are worrying way too much about what is normal, high and dangerously high: certain 132 over anything is far from dangerously high.. Where are you getting the idea these numbers are dangerous? As for the machine, what would you expect the pharmacist to say? Oh we have these machines sitting around so we can watch peoples faces as the numbers change every two or three minutes? Maybe you need to have a long talk wiht your doctor.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
Those readings are fine, the bottom number (diastolic) should be under 90 and the top number (systolic) should be under 140. Yours are good.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
jeez wish mine was that after exercise,,, Ive had HBP for over 25 years, and found out by a fluke when I did a test blowing into a tube to prove to my cousin who was a heavy smoker how healthy I wasNOT.. my breathing was very poor so they took ma BP which was throught the roof.. I have never smoked. didnt drink much alchol, took exercise three times a week at clubs, and was slim... so there you go.. what I do have though is MCS.. an environmental illness. which might play a part..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness