Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 37,269 times

Advertisements

if part of my toe nail doesn't grow back to normal? is this a disgusting reason to see one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,537,926 times
Did you injure the nail? I lost a toe nail when I was a kid in an accident and though it did grow back it did not grow normally though as I've aged (its been 40 yrs since that accident) the nail has finally started to look more normal. I suppose you could talk to a doctor about it but I suspect there isn't really anything that can be done unless you have an underlying medical condition that might cause such a thing and I don't know if something else could cause that.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:57 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,220,933 times
A podiatrist.

Not a disgusting reason at all. If it bothers you, have it checked out.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
You could see a podiatrist if you want and they would probably be able to remove the nail completely but that really hurts and the cost is a bit high but if they remove the toe nail like they do when they remove toe nails because of major in grown nail issues it will never grow back. Personally I would just leave it alone and let it grow back on it's own and keep it neat and trimmed properly.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 37,269 times
what the hell, it will NEVER GROW BACK? so what am I supposed to do? i dont want them to remove it, i only want them to give me something for it, that would suck not to be able to walk around in barefoot, that means no swimming, no sandals, no nothing, forget about it, my life is OVER>

Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierMobius View Post
if part of my toe nail doesn't grow back to normal? is this a disgusting reason to see one?
What do you mean by not growing back normal?

See a podiatrist. S/he can look at the nail and tell you what is wrong with it and the best way to treat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You could see a podiatrist if you want and they would probably be able to remove the nail completely but that really hurts and the cost is a bit high but if they remove the toe nail like they do when they remove toe nails because of major in grown nail issues it will never grow back. Personally I would just leave it alone and let it grow back on it's own and keep it neat and trimmed properly.
My son had an ingrown nail treated. It is not necessary to remove the entire nail.

Quote:
what the hell, it will NEVER GROW BACK? so what am I supposed to do? i dont want them to remove it, i only want them to give me something for it, that would suck not to be able to walk around in barefoot, that means no swimming, no sandals, no nothing, forget about it, my life is OVER>
Even if the nail were to be completely removed, you could still go barefoot, swim, and wear sandals. So your life would not be over.

We do not know that the OP has an ingrown nail, but here is some info about the condition:

Ingrown toenails - MayoClinic.com

Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
A mentioned in the above posts go see a podiatrist, they are trained especially for the foot and it's problems. In most cases if a nail needs to be removed it will grow back. I've lost about 6 nails in the past and all have grown back. And if you have insurance it's cost will be more than likely covered.

Your feet are very important, if you take care of them they will hold you up correctly and comfortably.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
Default Huh?

Quote:

Dramatic much? Go see a podiatrist.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,077,167 times
If they nail comes off or is removed that does NOT mean it will not grow back, it usually does, but will take a LONG time, years in some cases.

I lost both my big toe nails, one has completely grown back to normal, the other took longer and when it came back it didn't look nice, it has about half my toe to grow out yet, the first toe took about a year, the second has taken over five years.

You should find the cause first, mine was physical damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness