Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:53 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times

Advertisements

It is Sunday, doctors closed. My daughter had a cold a couple of weeks ago. It eneded and right away she got another. Just when I thought it was over her sinuses clogged up and her ears are plugged. Does she have a sinus infection? I can get her to blow very little out and she always sounds very nasal now. Any suggestions on how to help her? She is almost 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 03:05 PM

436 posts, read 810,195 times
She could very well have a sinus infection. I would call the pediatrician or GP first thing in the morning. Whether she has an nfection or not, she needs a decongestant. I would try Dimetap, as that works well for children.

If in doubt, go to the pharmacy, and ask what to use until you can see a physician.

A humidifier in her room tonight may help as well.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:01 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,583 times
Put her in a warm bath for awhile when you get her out suck her nose out with the bulb thing that you used when she was a baby. The warm bath will help loosen her sinuses. If you have it the vapor bath helps this even more. Give her some advil, it will help reduce any swelling in her nose. Don't give her milk it will only thicken anything that may be draining down the back of her throat. A cool mist humidifier should be helpful also. And I find the children's pseudo vicks vapor rub to be helpful with my daughter also, the kind that has natural ingredients.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Pediatricians are changing their views on decongestants and antihistamines these days. Some feel they interfere with drainage and cause sinus infections.
My Doctor feels that a sinus infection will go away in about the same time whether you use an antibiotic or not...I put it to the test once and he was right.
I agree with the warm bath. If she is a swimmer, try to get her face in the water and maybe get a little water up her nose. They also sell a saline spray that you spray in the nostrils to loosen up congestion.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,235 times
Try a nettle pot. You can find them at your local drug store where they sell the humidifiers. It is basically a saline rinse for your sinuses and it works wonders. It takes a few times to get used to. It is also great for colds.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
I personally used eucalyptus oil in a oil burner or in water on the stove top.
Vicks cream in the tube on chest and back.
Saline might burn to much for a child I know it sure burns my sinuses.
if your daughter has sinuses that are plugged chances are she also might have water in her ears. If she does she could get an ear infection.
You might even try a hot (as warm as she can stand) wash cloth on her face while she is leaning back position to drain her sinuses. Make sure she is drinking allot of clear fluids to keep everything draining.
Good luck.
Nothing is worse than a sick child.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM

894 posts, read 4,350,309 times
Try some Vicks on the bottom of the feet.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
Try a nettle pot. You can find them at your local drug store where they sell the humidifiers. It is basically a saline rinse for your sinuses and it works wonders. It takes a few times to get used to. It is also great for colds.
I love my nettie pot!!! BUT...can't imagine trying to get a 5 yr old to use it!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
If you want to do it right away tell her to eat a bunch of fresh horseradish and hang over the sink. Otherwise, have her CUT OUT WHEAT and DAIRY products which only CREATE MUCOUS, which is what is clogging her up, and drink plenty of water and lemon juice.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I love my nettie pot!!! BUT...can't imagine trying to get a 5 yr old to use it!

I love my nettle pot too. After years of sinus suffering, who would have thought that something so simple could make such a dramatic difference. How did you find out about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness