Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 24,705 times

Advertisements

i woke up this morning with this numb sensation ( i'm not saying numb because it's i can still feel when i touch it but very lightly ) from my upper thigh to the middle of my knee and i figured maybe i just slept on it or something but about 7 hours later it's still like that. it hasn't gotten worse but hasn't gotten better either. it's like you know when you go to the doctor and they shoot you with Novocaine and you're numb but you can still feel when they touch you? that's what it's like. it's really bugging me and i'm not really a hospital person so i'm trying to avoid that option.. i've never had this happen before either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 24,705 times
and i don't know if this is needed but i'm 21 years old, not active in sports or anything. i haven't had any recent injuries.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
It could be sciatica. Numbness is one of a few different symptoms. It's usually associated with pain but tingling and numbness can also be symptoms, without the pain.

If it doesn't go away in a couple of days, or gets worse, or the symptoms change, you'll want to go to the doctor. Not a hospital though - just a normal doctor.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Is it in the back or front of the thigh?

If it is running down the back of the leg to the knee it could be sciatica.

If it is running down the front of the thigh to the knee it isn't sciatica but it could be meralgia paresthetica.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monikaa05 View Post
i woke up this morning with this numb sensation ( i'm not saying numb because it's i can still feel when i touch it but very lightly ) from my upper thigh to the middle of my knee and i figured maybe i just slept on it or something but about 7 hours later it's still like that. it hasn't gotten worse but hasn't gotten better either. it's like you know when you go to the doctor and they shoot you with Novocaine and you're numb but you can still feel when they touch you? that's what it's like. it's really bugging me and i'm not really a hospital person so i'm trying to avoid that option.. i've never had this happen before either.
What you are describing sounds a lot like meralgia parasthetica. Especially so if there is a burning or tingling sensation that goes along with the numbness. It's usually caused by a pinched nerve.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monikaa05 View Post
Similar sounding thing happens to me from time to time, upon waking from sleep.
For me, it lasts several hours (most of the day), but eventually subsides-and doesn't happen every night, just on occasion. It's not pain, it's not sharp or acute-it's a broad swath (undifferentiated within the affected area) of soft tissue that feels dulled, just as described above-like novacaine. Happens in same location, too-between top of thigh and right at my knee, along outer edge, slightly more towards front side than back side.
I wonder if it might be from my bed being too hard, as I sleep on a heap of futons (on floor) that are pretty squashed after many years of use (so perhaps my circulation gets cut off where pressure is put, whichever part of my body I'm "sleeping on" goes to sleep, in a numbed way). It worries me a bit, though not enough to see a professional about.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Agree, pinched nerve, sciatica. Been there done that.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Agree, pinched nerve, sciatica. Been there done that.
Disagree, front of thigh its not sciatica.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Disagree, front of thigh its not sciatica.
Front & Side Thigh Pain | eHow.com
Thigh pain can be the result of various conditions, including sciatica. When sciatica presents itself, front thigh pain is a very common occurrence. The term sciatica is used to illustrate pain that radiates from your buttock and down through your lower limbs. Sciatica is often the result of a compressed nerve. However, sciatica pain can also be prompted by trigger points that are located in the soft tissue in your body

Read more: Front & Side Thigh Pain | eHow.com Front & Side Thigh Pain | eHow.com

Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Front & Side Thigh Pain | eHow.com
Thigh pain can be the result of various conditions, including sciatica. When sciatica presents itself, front thigh pain is a very common occurrence. The term sciatica is used to illustrate pain that radiates from your buttock and down through your lower limbs. Sciatica is often the result of a compressed nerve. However, sciatica pain can also be prompted by trigger points that are located in the soft tissue in your body

Read more: Front & Side Thigh Pain | eHow.com Front & Side Thigh Pain | eHow.com
ehow is not a medical reference....

Sciatica describes symptoms specific to the sciatic nerve which runs down the back of the leg, if you having pain in the front of the thigh it is NOT sciatica....

Does the patient have sciatica or another nerve root compression syndrome?
The obvious manifestation of nerve root irritation is usually sciatica, a sharp or burning pain radiating down the posterior or lateral aspect of the leg usually to the foot or the ankle and often associated with numbness or paresthesias
Back pain made simple: An approach based on principles and evidence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness