Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,374 times

Advertisements

First of all, moderators: How come there isn't a thread dedicated to women's health? We have complex systems and more stuff that can go wrong with our bodies.

Second, to anyone who can help, especially if you work in the healthcare field:

How come dentists sedate patients if they want it, but I don't have a prayer of finding a doc who will hook me up with that for a pelvic exam?? Come on, I've been through all kinds of dental procedures and never had any fear whatsoever. All I've ever needed was Novocaine for the more in-depth stuff, but never any type of sedation. But for a pelvic exam! I have vaginismus, and will require a sedative. Nobody wants to hook me up! Why?! That procedure is 100% more invasive than anything dental. I'm having some menstrual worries and will need the pelvic exam to diagnose it.

Also, IF you need a pelvic exam, is it true that it has to be done when you're not on your period? Because my problem is that my period will not end (it's been 21 days already ...I wonder if I'll just bleed to death). So if it won't end, then I won't get diagnosed, right, if nobody will do the pelvic exam on me while it continues to bleed on and on and on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
That's just stupid. Of course they will do the exam if you are constantly bleeding. Why don't you have an appointment? They will prescribe whatever tranquilizrr or muscle relaxer you need. You will need someone to drive you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
First of all, moderators: How come there isn't a thread dedicated to women's health? We have complex systems and more stuff that can go wrong with our bodies.

Second, to anyone who can help, especially if you work in the healthcare field:

How come dentists sedate patients if they want it, but I don't have a prayer of finding a doc who will hook me up with that for a pelvic exam?? Come on, I've been through all kinds of dental procedures and never had any fear whatsoever. All I've ever needed was Novocaine for the more in-depth stuff, but never any type of sedation. But for a pelvic exam! I have vaginismus, and will require a sedative. Nobody wants to hook me up! Why?! That procedure is 100% more invasive than anything dental. I'm having some menstrual worries and will need the pelvic exam to diagnose it.

Also, IF you need a pelvic exam, is it true that it has to be done when you're not on your period? Because my problem is that my period will not end (it's been 21 days already ...I wonder if I'll just bleed to death). So if it won't end, then I won't get diagnosed, right, if nobody will do the pelvic exam on me while it continues to bleed on and on and on?
Pap smears should be done when you are not bleeding, but you need an exam to evaluate the cause of the bleeding. After the bleeding is stopped, you can return for the Pap.

You just need to be up front with the gynecologist. An experienced GYN should be able to accomplish the exam using a smaller speculum, an oral antianxiety med, and perhaps some topical anesthetic gel. If the office does not keep the gel on hand, ask for a prescription and bring the product with you.

Most GYN offices are not set up to do the conscious sedation that someone would have for something like a colonoscopy. That requires safety backups that would be cost prohibitive for the rare patient who would request it.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Pap smears should be done when you are not bleeding, but you need an exam to evaluate the cause of the bleeding. After the bleeding is stopped, you can return for the Pap.

You just need to be up front with the gynecologist. An experienced GYN should be able to accomplish the exam using a smaller speculum, an oral antianxiety med, and perhaps some topical anesthetic gel.If the office does not keep the gel on hand, ask for a prescription and bring the product with you.

Most GYN offices are not set up to do the conscious sedation that someone would have for something like a colonoscopy. That requires safety backups that would be cost prohibitive for the rare patient who would request it.

My problem is finding a doctor who'll give me one of those pills. A long time ago, I had a toll-free number for referral to doctors in my area, but I lost the number for that hotline. Does anyone have that hotline #? I've tried to google "women's health doctors" in my area, but the results are a mess. I could get a referral from the doctor who I get my sleeping pill scripts from, but then I'd have to pay his fee plus that of the new dr. He's a general doctor, and I have seen him in the past for a bladder infection, but I want a female doc for this concern. If I could use a referral hotline, then I could more easily narrow the docs in the area down by specialty, then their gender, and from there try to find out if they can help me score a tranq. first. I suppose that as a last resort, I could get a ride to any doc's office, then take 2 of my sleeping pills in the waiting room (temazepam is in the same class as Valium and Xanax), but I've had Valium for eye surgery and it was amazing and took all of the anxiety away...the only thing that got me through it, so I'd much prefer that to something that only puts me to sleep. I'm kinda reluctant to ask my sleeping pill doc for one for that purpose because he probably thinks I'm a junkie.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
That's just stupid. Of course they will do the exam if you are constantly bleeding. Why don't you have an appointment? They will prescribe whatever tranquilizrr or muscle relaxer you need. You will need someone to drive you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, not everyone will. I've already called around a few places and got rejected. I had a traumatic experience once a long time ago where a perfumed soap caused my vagina to burn and after going to a clinic, they made me get a pelvic exam and wouldn't even help me otherwise. I wanted my boyfriend to be in the room with me and the nurse wouldn't allow it. Then I was bitched at for not cooperating and not relaxing and so then the doc and nurse threw up their hands and stormed out of the exam room and yelled: We can't do this! You're not cooperating! Even though I did everything I was told. Like it was my fukin' fault! Then, to add insult to injury, the front desk made me pay for it even though it wasn't actually done. I should've sued, but had no money left over for attorney fees after paying the $85 they demanded - no diagnosis or treatment or anything.
BTW, that burning eventually went away that week and I didn't use perfumed soaps anymore.
It's too bad that if there's anything wrong below the belt that this bull***** test is ordered.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Because my problem is that my period will not end (it's been 21 days already ...I wonder if I'll just bleed to death). So if it won't end, then I won't get diagnosed, right, if nobody will do the pelvic exam on me while it continues to bleed on and on and on?
Bleeding for 21 days? You should probably go to the ER instead of trying to make appointments.

Like, yesterday.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
You're probably getting rejected because you don't have a relationship with any of the offices you are calling. They don't know you and won't give a script to someone they've never seen and they shouldn't.

Bleeding for that long would concern me more than getting something to knock me out I would either get to the ER or to the very first Dr. appointment possible.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I have found women PA's to be much better at doing pelvic exams than men. Call, and talk to the PA when you make the appointment, tell her your issue, she will probably have you come in for a consultation, and give you the script for the meds then, then come back the next time for the exam. The consultation would be good for you to, to discuss your health problems, and stress levels with a pelvic exam. And you can evaluate if this is the right person for you. If you don't feel like it, you can cancel the pelvic exam.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
You're probably getting rejected because you don't have a relationship with any of the offices you are calling. They don't know you and won't give a script to someone they've never seen and they shouldn't.
Why?

Bleeding for that long would concern me more than getting something to knock me out I would either get to the ER or to the very first Dr. appointment possible.
I'm uninsured. Last time I went to the ER, I got a throat culture and a $900 bill just for that. I'm in debt already as it is. It's not heavy bleeding *knock on wood* and I feel ok otherwise, but I am worried, so I'll go the clinic route. I would like to take enough time to find an office that's caring and compassionate and PATIENT with their patients, unlike that place I mentioned before. And I don't want to get billed for a pelvic exam that they claim they 'can't perform', so being knocked out is that important. If they knew how to do their jobs, they would've been able to do it, without blaming me for not letting them, when I was very compliant. I really don't want a repeat of that kind of torture. It's like I got charged $85 to get raped instead of diagnosed. Why does women's health have to be so complicated?
replies are in bold.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I really think that you need therapy, before an appointment for a pelvic exam. Most people don't equate a medical exam with rape. Get treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness