Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

On what basis do you answer when asked to indicate your pain level from one to ten? What would you classify as Level One?

I always get completely baffled when asked that. In almost all cases, I say "Zero -- it is only discomfort."

For example, if you have something stuck between your teeth after dinner and want floss, is that Pain Level One? What about a scratchy label in your collar? A booger in your nose? Where is the line between pain and discomfort?

At what level, from one to ten, would you take a pain-killer?

Personally, I have maybe four levels. I've had kidney stones, so I am told that I know what the top level is like. I'll call that Three.
Anything below that for which I'd take pain medication, I'd call Two.
If it actually qualifies as pain but I wouldn't bother to take an ibuprofin, like if I stub my toe or have acid reflux, or burn myself in the kitchen, that's One.
It it's just discomfort, that's a Zero. Four levels is about all I can differentiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Oddly enough I've never taken a pain killer. I have had my wisdom teeth extracted and I recently had a second root canal on a tooth that already had one. Sure it hurt, but I would never take the pain meds. I think it's given me a higher tollerance to pain.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,345,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On what basis do you answer when asked to indicate your pain level from one to ten? What would you classify as Level One?

I always get completely baffled when asked that. In almost all cases, I say "Zero -- it is only discomfort."

For example, if you have something stuck between your teeth after dinner and want floss, is that Pain Level One? What about a scratchy label in your collar? A booger in your nose? Where is the line between pain and discomfort?

Personally, I have maybe four levels. I've had kidney stones, so I am told that I know what the top level is like. I'll call that Three.
If it actually qualifies as pain but I wouldn't bother to take an ibuprofin, like if I stub my toe or have acid reflux, or burn myself in the kitchen, that's One.
It it's just discomfort, that's a Zero. Four levels is about all I can differentiate.
One is mild discomfort like stepping on a marble. Ten is the absolute worse pain imaginable -many would consider kidney stones or even childbirth a 10. But it really isn't the best system, using your examples above, but at least people are asked about pain levels

Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
http://lane.stanford.edu/portals/cvi...Pain_Scale.pdf

There's a typo in the chart. Very distressing should be a 5.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I always add a decimal, like 4.1. Pissed off the ER doctor last summer when I had a mild cardiac "event".

Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
On that chart about the worst pain I've experienced is 7 out of 10 after an operation in my groin area which required two incisions. Horrible pain.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:01 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I don't like that "scale" either - Personally, I have Fibromyalgia so always have a level of pain and try to just deal - when asked that scale thing...

Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Interesting, I've never seen that scale before. I had my wisdom teeth out and after the anesthesia wore off that was definitely a 9; if you'd offered me heroin I'd have taken it. I broke my hand and aside from immediately after the impact, that was surprisingly mild, a 3 unless I touched it and then a 5.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I think it's relative..... I've had severe gallstones, pancreantis, pluerosy, I'll give them an 8-9, I had a bad response to a liver biopsy (your awake for the procedure) and I'll give that a 10.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I have always wondered the same thing: I sorta look at this way, if it hurts so much I want a pain pill than it is probably a 7 or higher. If it is just an annoyance and uncomfortable maybe a 3 or 4..If it falls inbetween I sold reach for the advil or alive. My knee before I got my cortazone shot, was probably a 7 or so and I was being kept up at night. I started to depend on pain meds, perscription ones. Now it is just a litlle annoyance and I don't take anything. I realize it is not going to be this way forever: infact it is getting a little worse each day. Probably I will have another shot in about 3 or 4 weeks and by then I will be back to a pain med. I don't think the charts tell the entire story as we all have a different pain level. I happen to have a pretty high tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness