Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 AM

4,243 posts, read 4,757,704 times

Advertisements

I moved to Chicago from the south and have noticed something different about my body since living here...it's kinda gross but...I noticed I have to 'clean my nose out' daily each morning......meaning....well, I feel like my nose gets clogged with boogers now ....

This didn't used to have to be a part of my daily cleaning/grooming ritual before moving here...

Is this a respiratory issue??? My understanding is that the secretions, etc. in your nose are basically the bad stuff being cleared out from your lungs...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
No, it's the stuff your nose hairs filter out of the air plus any sinus secretions. Stuff in your lungs comes up as a cough and you hack it out.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No, it's the stuff your nose hairs filter out of the air plus any sinus secretions. Stuff in your lungs comes up as a cough and you hack it out.

So basically I'm probably noticing this due to the change in air quality here.....?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,675,786 times
What has the humidity level been? Those of us from the South are used to high humidity.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So basically I'm probably noticing this due to the change in air quality here.....?
No, she was explaining to you that what comes out of your nose has nothing to do with cleaning out your lungs.

My guess is allergies. Each region has different allergens or longer/shorter seasons for specific allergies.

You probably have a mild allergy to something down south that wasn't prevalent in Chicago.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,248,932 times
In general, yes, it has to do with what all is in the air. For example, when I used to visit my folks up in the mtns (NC), some times of the year I'd be blowing my nose forever, so that's an allergy thing. Then there's the humidity, which I tend to agree with. Another really big culprit is the heating/AC system in your house, because could be the filters need changing, and if you're not comfortable doing it, ask a serviceman to come over and fine-tune your system AND change filters, be sure to tell them filters when you make an appointment with an HVAC expert, he can tell you where to look for the size, if he needs to know. Another may have to do wtih the people who lived there before, like oven not being clean, a lot of dust down in some carpeting, a cleaner the previous owner may have used.

We used to keep two bunny rabbits as house pets, they tried their best to aim for a litter box in the kitchen, we had to child-proof the rooms we'd let them into. They were adorable. But I thought I was a'gonna die from nose, eyes, throat, lungs, the whole entire breathing system was goofed up. I had NEVER had that happen to me before, and like the idiot I am, I went on with it for a good while before I got in touch with a doc, and he told me I was allergic to our rabbits. So, he gave me a pill, and i got better. So, previous owners may have had an animal or bird in there.

You could ask a really good maid service to give your house a really thorough environmental cleaning, where they don't use chemicals, and to clean your place top to bottom, if things don't work out on humidity and furnace or recognizing an allergy to something outside. In the meantime, you can get some PLAIN saline nasal spray, and in the mornings, to speed things up, drink a half-glass of water, and then squirt a couple times into each nose, and use Kleenex brand in the box to clean out your nose. Carry your box of tissues into the kitchen and set it to the side, so you can clean 'er up some more, so you won't waste 50 million years in the bathroom. Of course, if you take a shower, no big deal. I sure hope you get it straight. Drives me right up the wall for my nose to stop up and act up.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,634,985 times
Perhaps there is something there where you moved that you are slightly allergic to. How long has this been happening? Are there any other symptoms (watery eyes, itching, plugged sinus). Could also be the change in the dampness of the lakes nearby making your nose run/snotty. Could also be air pollution. hard to say. Any burning of eyes? Any smells at all associatated with it? If it were lung related you would probably be coughing a lot and depending on the color of your sputum, you would determine what was going on. It could also be non-related to your move.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Perhaps there is something there where you moved that you are slightly allergic to. How long has this been happening? Are there any other symptoms (watery eyes, itching, plugged sinus). Could also be the change in the dampness of the lakes nearby making your nose run/snotty. Could also be air pollution. hard to say. Any burning of eyes? Any smells at all associatated with it? If it were lung related you would probably be coughing a lot and depending on the color of your sputum, you would determine what was going on. It could also be non-related to your move.
I moved from ATL to CHI...this has been happening since I moved here. No watery eyes or itching, but I think my sinuses 'may' be a little plugged...?

Good point about the lake and pollution..no burning of eyes....no smells associated with it. I don't cough at all....

Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
In general, yes, it has to do with what all is in the air. For example, when I used to visit my folks up in the mtns (NC), some times of the year I'd be blowing my nose forever, so that's an allergy thing. Then there's the humidity, which I tend to agree with. Another really big culprit is the heating/AC system in your house, because could be the filters need changing, and if you're not comfortable doing it, ask a serviceman to come over and fine-tune your system AND change filters, be sure to tell them filters when you make an appointment with an HVAC expert, he can tell you where to look for the size, if he needs to know. Another may have to do wtih the people who lived there before, like oven not being clean, a lot of dust down in some carpeting, a cleaner the previous owner may have used.

We used to keep two bunny rabbits as house pets, they tried their best to aim for a litter box in the kitchen, we had to child-proof the rooms we'd let them into. They were adorable. But I thought I was a'gonna die from nose, eyes, throat, lungs, the whole entire breathing system was goofed up. I had NEVER had that happen to me before, and like the idiot I am, I went on with it for a good while before I got in touch with a doc, and he told me I was allergic to our rabbits. So, he gave me a pill, and i got better. So, previous owners may have had an animal or bird in there.

You could ask a really good maid service to give your house a really thorough environmental cleaning, where they don't use chemicals, and to clean your place top to bottom, if things don't work out on humidity and furnace or recognizing an allergy to something outside. In the meantime, you can get some PLAIN saline nasal spray, and in the mornings, to speed things up, drink a half-glass of water, and then squirt a couple times into each nose, and use Kleenex brand in the box to clean out your nose. Carry your box of tissues into the kitchen and set it to the side, so you can clean 'er up some more, so you won't waste 50 million years in the bathroom. Of course, if you take a shower, no big deal. I sure hope you get it straight. Drives me right up the wall for my nose to stop up and act up.
Thanks for the insight...I will ask about the filters and also get someone to clean my place top to bottom. It's an old place so who knows what kind of stuff is lurking around....

Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
No, she was explaining to you that what comes out of your nose has nothing to do with cleaning out your lungs.

My guess is allergies. Each region has different allergens or longer/shorter seasons for specific allergies.

You probably have a mild allergy to something down south that wasn't prevalent in Chicago.
Gotcha...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness