U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,264 posts, read 81,035,968 times
Reputation: 39471

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
You're still bleeding? Hmmmm...I could be wrong, but something doesn't seem right here. You might need some stitches. What say you, fellow posters?
I say our OP thinks more of his reasoning skills than 99% of us reading his thread

He clearly doesn't want advice, so I guess I won't give any more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2013, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Great Plains
25,587 posts, read 27,892,458 times
Reputation: 22713
All bleeding stops, eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,263 posts, read 31,748,935 times
Reputation: 20198
If he doesn't get an infection, and doesn't suffer from the aftereffects of untreated whiplash, he'll be lucky. And of course he'll claim he was right not to go to the doctor, because clearly there was nothing wrong.

The only way anyone can prove to him how stupid his decision was, is if something horrible happens due to his neglect. Since none of us want to wish the guy harm - there really isn't anything anyone can do or say to convince him of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 AM
 
168 posts, read 232,289 times
Reputation: 141
Hello again guys. I just wanted to apologise to you first of all.

Yesterday morning, I got up as usual to go to work. I was having a terrible headache and had blurred vision but ignored it. As I was putting my clothes on after showering, I felt incredbly dizzy and disorientated. I just remember the room spinning and I fell to the floor. I went through various states of consciousness. At times I was out completely but I remember opening my eyes and not knowing where I was.

I don't know for how long I stayed there but someone at work surely found it suspicious because they know I'm never, ever late. So they called my brother, the only contact they have there.

I just remember waking up in a hospital bed, hooked up to an IV and a monitor. They had already ran a MRI and I was told I had a subdural hematoma. I was given an antihemorrhagic because apparently it was still bleeding. The doctor thought they would have to insert a catheter to remove the hematoma but then came to the conclusion it wasn't large enough.

I was supposed to stay overnight for monitoring but I couldn't stand being there anymore so I self discharged and asked my brother to take me home. Besides, it's the hospital where my father works so it was the last place I wanted to be at.

I was told to rest as much as possible and to stay aware of the same or new symptoms. Now I'm on my bed and my mother has been around taking care of me. I don't know how long I'm supposed to rest but do you think I could go back to work by Monday? Perhaps with a smaller schedule to start with.

Thank you all and sorry once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2013, 12:34 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,263 posts, read 31,748,935 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Hello again guys. I just wanted to apologise to you first of all.

Yesterday morning, I got up as usual to go to work. I was having a terrible headache and had blurred vision but ignored it. As I was putting my clothes on after showering, I felt incredbly dizzy and disorientated. I just remember the room spinning and I fell to the floor. I went through various states of consciousness. At times I was out completely but I remember opening my eyes and not knowing where I was.

I don't know for how long I stayed there but someone at work surely found it suspicious because they know I'm never, ever late. So they called my brother, the only contact they have there.

I just remember waking up in a hospital bed, hooked up to an IV and a monitor. They had already ran a MRI and I was told I had a subdural hematoma. I was given an antihemorrhagic because apparently it was still bleeding. The doctor thought they would have to insert a catheter to remove the hematoma but then came to the conclusion it wasn't large enough.

I was supposed to stay overnight for monitoring but I couldn't stand being there anymore so I self discharged and asked my brother to take me home. Besides, it's the hospital where my father works so it was the last place I wanted to be at.

I was told to rest as much as possible and to stay aware of the same or new symptoms. Now I'm on my bed and my mother has been around taking care of me. I don't know how long I'm supposed to rest but do you think I could go back to work by Monday? Perhaps with a smaller schedule to start with.

Thank you all and sorry once again.
You should've stayed at the hospital, or check into a different hospital if your father is that much of a problem. They need to monitor you. They can't monitor you while you're at home. You can go back to work when your doctor says you can go back to work. He won't know when that is, if you're not where he can monitor you.

You're lucky to be alive, my friend. You need to learn from your mistake, and stop repeating it. I'm sorry you have an aversion to doctors, but sometimes you just have to suck it up. You will lose MORE Work by NOT getting proper medical care, than if you had just gone in when you crashed and the ambulance offered to take you to the hospital.

I totally get that you can't stand the idea of giving control over your health to someone else, especially if your father is less than fatherly, and is a doctor. But honestly - you have to get past that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM
 
168 posts, read 232,289 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You should've stayed at the hospital, or check into a different hospital if your father is that much of a problem. They need to monitor you. They can't monitor you while you're at home. You can go back to work when your doctor says you can go back to work. He won't know when that is, if you're not where he can monitor you.

You're lucky to be alive, my friend. You need to learn from your mistake, and stop repeating it. I'm sorry you have an aversion to doctors, but sometimes you just have to suck it up. You will lose MORE Work by NOT getting proper medical care, than if you had just gone in when you crashed and the ambulance offered to take you to the hospital.

I totally get that you can't stand the idea of giving control over your health to someone else, especially if your father is less than fatherly, and is a doctor. But honestly - you have to get past that.
Unless the hematoma is rather large, treatment is rest and monitoring for symptoms.

My mother told my father about it all even though I asked her not to. Said she didn't want to hide this from him. Anyway, he said I should stay home for a week at the very least! I will call the office on Monday to ask if I can work from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:02 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,263 posts, read 31,748,935 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Unless the hematoma is rather large, treatment is rest and monitoring for symptoms.

My mother told my father about it all even though I asked her not to. Said she didn't want to hide this from him. Anyway, he said I should stay home for a week at the very least! I will call the office on Monday to ask if I can work from home.
So your dad is actually being helpful this time around...that's good. Should be a relief to you, at least somewhat. In the meantime, rest. By rest, that doesn't mean work from home. It means rest your -mind- as well as your body. You have a brain injury. It might not feel serious, but it IS serious. That is why they recommend that you stay in the hospital. Because if you go to sleep at home tonight, and there are symptoms while you're sleeping, you won't know you have them til the next morning. And that might be too late. They monitor you at the hospital, where they can attend to you within *seconds* if anything goes wrong. They can't do that if you're home. Even your father can't do that if you're at home.

You'd need to be mostly still and quiet. No sudden moves, no constant standing/sitting - and when you do stand, you have to do it gradually. Think of yourself as a sloth for the next few days. That's basically the pace and activity level you'll need to maintain til your body heals itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 PM
 
34,550 posts, read 32,960,733 times
Reputation: 59572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
I hit against a concrete barrier, there was no other driver.



Well, to me work is an excuse. I have a number of people counting on me so I can't let them down. I've had the flu before and I went to work as well. Anything regarding hospitals takes ages and I would have half an hour at most.

I would ask my father, who is a doctor, what he thinks but he would just say I'm being a big baby because he wouldn't get any money from examining me.

Wow, lots of excuses so when you wake up paralized or dead you have no one to blame but yourself for not going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 PM
 
681 posts, read 901,164 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You should've stayed at the hospital, or check into a different hospital if your father is that much of a problem. They need to monitor you. They can't monitor you while you're at home. You can go back to work when your doctor says you can go back to work. He won't know when that is, if you're not where he can monitor you.

You're lucky to be alive, my friend. You need to learn from your mistake, and stop repeating it. I'm sorry you have an aversion to doctors, but sometimes you just have to suck it up. You will lose MORE Work by NOT getting proper medical care, than if you had just gone in when you crashed and the ambulance offered to take you to the hospital.

I totally get that you can't stand the idea of giving control over your health to someone else, especially if your father is less than fatherly, and is a doctor. But honestly - you have to get past that.
He's surely much more comfortable at home which contributes greatly to his recovery. People usually get out of hospital sicker than they were before going. You can catch all sorts of diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2013, 03:10 PM
 
168 posts, read 232,289 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So your dad is actually being helpful this time around...that's good. Should be a relief to you, at least somewhat. In the meantime, rest. By rest, that doesn't mean work from home. It means rest your -mind- as well as your body. You have a brain injury. It might not feel serious, but it IS serious. That is why they recommend that you stay in the hospital. Because if you go to sleep at home tonight, and there are symptoms while you're sleeping, you won't know you have them til the next morning. And that might be too late. They monitor you at the hospital, where they can attend to you within *seconds* if anything goes wrong. They can't do that if you're home. Even your father can't do that if you're at home.

You'd need to be mostly still and quiet. No sudden moves, no constant standing/sitting - and when you do stand, you have to do it gradually. Think of yourself as a sloth for the next few days. That's basically the pace and activity level you'll need to maintain til your body heals itself.
My brother will stay here until the end of the weekend even though I didn't want to disturb his life. I can't simply turn work off because it will pile up to the point I won't want to go back.

I simply couldn't stay in hospital and have to endure paternalistic doctors who speak to you like you are a 5 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top