Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:52 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times

Advertisements

Let me make it simple. I'm 17, and eat more than fat people. Yet cannot gain an ounce of weight. I think there's a problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 12:38 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
I used to be like you!! Took a real intense period of learning about nutrition and strength training to figure it out for my body. It took me two years to gain 10 pounds. I'm in my 30s now and don't have that problem any more, but I do sympathize.

Check with your doctor first and share your concerns. Then start reading about how to properly balance your diet and exercise to achieve muscle mass. I like a combination of Dr. Andrew Weil's philosophy combined with a Body For Life type philosophy. Nutrients plus the right exercise program combined with just enough extra protein to achieve muscle growth.

Believe me, when I was younger, I'd eat anything and everything...tons of ice cream, butter, fast food, etc and not gain a pound. People used to tell me it would change when I got older, and, though I didn't believe it then, I do now! It's easier to put on pounds now, but thankfully, I did a lot of research into nutrition and developed an understanding of how to live a healthy lifestyle. Try to first concentrate on your health rather than your appearance...the rest will follow!

Old 11-04-2007, 12:43 AM

Yea I eat a lot of junk food on the weekends but eat healthy. A lot of protein but with a salad and some greens. Yet can't gain mass. I'm really self conscious about it.. I don't like wearing short sleeve shirts or shorts. Thats how bad it is.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:06 AM

436 posts, read 810,195 times
If your weight is a true problem for you, perhaps you should see your physician, and ask about a referral to an endocrinologist. Some testing from their standpoints might determine if your endocrine glands are functioning normally or are hypo/hyper active.

If everything else is developing normally, it just may be a metabolic thing for you.

After that, I am certain he will have recommendations for you.

(not to make light of your problem, but I am at the age where I would be thankful if I didn't gain weight)

Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Let me make it simple. I'm 17, and eat more than fat people. Yet cannot gain an ounce of weight. I think there's a problem here.
You're only 17! Go to a gym and work out your legs and your arms. I think skinny guys look great!

Don't wear your clothes too baggy, it will make you look more skinny. Go to the gym and do some weights or start running. I bet you'd be a great marathon runner. They are always thin.

And don't worry so much about it and don't look in the mirror so much. I bet you are beautiful!

Greenie

Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I know exactly how you feel ProLogic as when i was 17 i was 6 ft 3 tall and weighed 145 lbs. Now thats Super SKinny. We just have very high metabolisms. What did i do.......

I joined the YMCA at 21 after the Navy and started lifting weights. I ate tons of Peanut Butter/Jelly sandwiches and drank milk by the gallons. I also read the Muscle and Fitness magazines that you can find at the Grocery Stores. Rest assured i slowly gained Weight, Muscle and Strength. Now i weigh around 220 Lb at 6'3 with no fat and i still workout at 43 as thats my main love on this earth (besides my 80's music)

Good Luck to ya !! 6/3

Old 11-04-2007, 12:19 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I know exactly how you feel ProLogic as when i was 17 i was 6 ft 3 tall and weighed 145 lbs. Now thats Super SKinny. We just have very high metabolisms. What did i do.......

I joined the YMCA at 21 after the Navy and started lifting weights. I ate tons of Peanut Butter/Jelly sandwiches and drank milk by the gallons. I also read the Muscle and Fitness magazines that you can find at the Grocery Stores. Rest assured i slowly gained Weight, Muscle and Strength. Now i weigh around 220 Lb at 6'3 with no fat and i still workout at 43 as thats my main love on this earth (besides my 80's music)

Good Luck to ya !! 6/3
I love my 80s music too. 44 year old -- funny how we never get away from that stuff. Still makes me feel young and cool.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I love my 80s music too. 44 year old -- funny how we never get away from that stuff. Still makes me feel young and cool.
Excellant words and so true GreenMachine especially about the ''Still makes me feel young and cool'' .

Take Care ....6/3

Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
You're only 17! Go to a gym and work out your legs and your arms. I think skinny guys look great!

Don't wear your clothes too baggy, it will make you look more skinny. Go to the gym and do some weights or start running. I bet you'd be a great marathon runner. They are always thin.

And don't worry so much about it and don't look in the mirror so much. I bet you are beautiful!

Greenie
Lol thanks. I come from a very blunt family/culture.. People are like " your so skinny!". Like skinny isn't the norm for Mexicans or something. I just tell them yea.. w.e.

Last edited by Suzet2262; 02-10-2008 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: No bad language...

Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,550 times
Well I can think of at least 4 guys I knew in high school that I wouldn't date because they were 'small stature'. I have seen all four of these guys since the 15 years of being out of high school. They are ALL men who have filled out.

Just becuase you can't gain weight doesn't mean your cholestoral won't go up if you eat junk.

Give it time, you're just a boy still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness