Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 12:00 AM

344 posts, read 430,477 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Been a while since I posted in the health section, but I have a question for anyone who has some information about this or who has experienced this, I was told by the Doctor I have dry eyes. But can dry eyes cause soreness around the eyes (Like constant eye strain - even though I have 20/20 vision) seems to feel worse when focusing my eyes on reading and watching tv.

I would also like some information on Cauterizing of the puctum holes in the eye lids if anyone has information about this? Does it hurt? What were your out come from having this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 05:27 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,913 times
I have dry eyes due to eye surgery back in 1993. It is a common side effect from RK surgery to correct my vision.

The trick to avoid the eye strain is to use the over the counter eye drops before the eye strain occurs - not after. I use Refresh Plus (over the counter) single use eye drops twice a day. They are easy to carry with you.

As long as you have seen a doctor and your eyes are otherwise healthy - try using the Refresh Plus first thing in the morning and again in the afternoon to see if that will help to avoid the eye strain.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale12 View Post
Hello everyone,

Been a while since I posted in the health section, but I have a question for anyone who has some information about this or who has experienced this, I was told by the Doctor I have dry eyes. But can dry eyes cause soreness around the eyes (Like constant eye strain - even though I have 20/20 vision) seems to feel worse when focusing my eyes on reading and watching tv.

I would also like some information on Cauterizing of the puctum holes in the eye lids if anyone has information about this? Does it hurt? What were your out come from having this?

Thanks!
I haven’t tried this, but I use Systane (or the generic equivalents) and take fish oil. This seems to help. Dry eyes absolutely cause eye strain. I notice it more at the end of the day, which makes sense. Bright lights make it quite noticeable.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:50 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
My husband developed corneal ulcers that they told him were the result of dry eye. The doc told him that looking at computer screens ( computers, tablets, smart phones) for hours on end, and not blinking enough to keep the eye moisturized can result in dry eye, or at least make it worse. His ulcers were treated and resolved, and he now uses eye drops and ointment on a regular basis. The doc also recommended he step away away from the screen a little more often than he had been. Not so sure he has taken that recommendation.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:08 PM

344 posts, read 430,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I haven’t tried this, but I use Systane (or the generic equivalents) and take fish oil. This seems to help. Dry eyes absolutely cause eye strain. I notice it more at the end of the day, which makes sense. Bright lights make it quite noticeable.
So I can just feel sore and tired around my eyes but NOT have any burning at all or the feeling of sand? Because I dont get burning... just my eyes feel heavy and worse when focusing on something

Old 01-10-2020, 12:23 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
So I can just feel sore and tired around my eyes but NOT have any burning at all or the feeling of sand? Because I dont get burning... just my eyes feel heavy and worse when focusing on something
YES. Dry eyes can cause vision strain. Sometimes I have problems early on when I wake up, like my eyes don’t want to focus together on the computer (I have progressive lenses, so it is not a matter of night having the right glasses) OR at the end of the day when watching TV, but they don’t physically hurt at all other than an eye-strain type of headache feeling.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:

Do you think maybe it could be something you wear on your face, close to your eyes? For instance, I can't wear sunscreens on my face. Something in it irritates my eyes. And the other day, I put a tiny dab of petroleum jelly on my eye lids, and that was a mistake. I got that burning sensation...you know...you just want to close them and take a nap feeling.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:23 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,331,686 times
You may be due for an eye exam. In your 2016 post, you mentioned that both you MRI and CT scan came out clean, did you do blood and urine tests as well? Time to repeat those tests.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:17 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

This is exactly what I do, both recommended by my ophthalmologist. She also prescribed allergy eye drops.

But, to be clear, are you having problems in the eye & conjunctiva, or is it also the skin of your eyelids, and the skin under the eyes?

Old 01-14-2020, 11:56 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,655 times
I have dry eyes also. Eye dr. told me those otc artificial tears only last 30 minutes after one puts them in. I guess they evaporate pretty quickly. He told me to put them in at least 6 times a day. I do it more often when I can feel my eyes irritated. Out in the wind is the pits. Sunglasses help keep the wind off them. There are degrees which your eyes are dry. I think mine are worse than they used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness