Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That was rude.
Because you know nothing of Eastern medicine...you become insulting?
This says way more about you then it does about me, sir.
Who said anything about Eastern medicine? Eastern medicine is more about yin/yang, hot/cold/soothing/strengthening foods, balance of the different types of foods, etc. It's not macro nutrient-obsessed or saturated fat-phobic like Western medicine. In China they use duck gizzards in a cough remedy for Christ's sake, so I don't see what your point is.

You ask patients if they've had any animal fats...99.5% of the population is not vegan, of course they've had animal fats. You might as well be asking them if they've drank any water or breathed any air lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Did I respond to this thread?

Anyways the two healthiest oils to cook with are olive and canola.. they are both high in omega 9 (monounsaturated) with high smoke points. Ghee is also good.

I'd avoid soybean, corn, or any other oil high in omega 6 fats.

http://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-...oking-oils.htm

Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
What's wrong with Canola oil? Why is no one using it for cooking?

Have you by chance seen on television how Canola Oil is made?

I use mainly Extra Virgin Olive Oil for cooking but I add a pat of butter with the oil in the pan as it is heating.

Otherwise I use Olive Oil or Light Olive oil for dressings and things like that.
I will use Peanut Oil if I am making Chinese food and from time to time Rice Oil.
I also use butter flavored Crisco for some recipes and regular crisco for others.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:14 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
other than olive oil, can people taste differences between vegetable, corn, peanut, etc. oils? I can't taste the differences between oils except for olive oil.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
canola oil gets a bad rap but really the purity and taste of the end product are all that really matters. All industrialized oils get processed in some way, and the ones that don't that are 'extra virgin' are not really as suitable for cooking with lower smoke points and higher chance of rancidity anyways.

The FACT is that canola oil, while also being cheap to produce, is high in omega 9 fatty acids and lower in omega 6. If you're going to buy processed foods in the store, it's the oil to look for, while avoiding soybean oil.

When you refine the oil they all taste pretty similar. I enjoy refined coconut oil but can't really stomach the unrefined stuff which tastes like coconuts. Don't want my scrambled eggs tasting like coconuts.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 684 times
I have both canola oil and olive oil sprays. The one problem I have is that the olive oil smell makes me nauseous. The canola oil isn't as bad but it still smells. So until I can find a spray that doesn't make me nauseous I use them sparingly.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Coconut oil doesn't have a bad odor to me.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Whatever is floating around in the ground.

No, just joking.....usually coconut or grease from the broiling pan.

Toxic Oil Made in China from City Sewers - YouTube

Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
None...good old fashion lard and bacn grease.

If I don't have those available,butter Crisco works.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:55 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I was curious about what oils the Seventh Day Adventists (the longest-lived population in America) use for frying...it seems to be coconut oil which has a heat tolerance of 500 degrees.

In contrast, olive oil breaks down at 200 degrees.

Deep frying is not common in my cooking, but when I pan-saute, stir-fry or oven-grill veggies or chicken/meats, I use either coconut oil or peanut oil.

I use olive oil in my salad dressings and for dipping my Italian bread in (with some added some herbs and garlic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness