Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,820,291 times

Advertisements

Cigna does not. He just got denied long term disability through Cigna. He has paid for this benefit for 30 years through his job. Since 2003 he his suffered from sino-nasal undifferentiated carcinoma AKA: SNUC. This is a rare and extremely aggressive disease. I did not know it at that time but he was diagnosed the same week his wife died from MS. He went through chemo and radiation to the head and neck. He went into remission and all was good. During this time we became friends online as my husband had just recently passed away. 2008 a new tumor shows up. We decided to get married so that I could be his next of kin to help out. This one will require surgery involving removing his right jaw, his right eye orbit, the roof of his mouth, and his right sinus The right eyeball sits on a titanium sling to hold it up. They stripped veins out of both thighs to rebuild his face. It was a 17 hour surgery .They had to put in a trach tube for him to breathe and I attended tracheostomy class before they would let me take him home. Also classes on how to change out his PICC line ports. 2011 his scans show another tumor growing fast. Since he did not have radiation last time the gave him the decision whether to try it again. With the knowledge that he could go fully blind and become brain damaged. He chose life with radiation and chemo. He can no longer eat food, just feeding tube, his vision is very bad as is his hearing. His legs are atrophied and he can't walk around much. Present day: Hubby is getting around some. He cannot eat food, just feeding tube. The titanium sling is starting to poke out of his cheek so they are doing fat transplants from his belly. I offered some of my fat, but they declined. It is very difficult to carry on a conversation with him. He does not understand what you are saying. He has no strength to walk around the block. I am just wondering how Cigna could even consider my husband capable of resuming his job of a software engineer or any job, for that matter.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Sounds like legal help is needed more than general online opinions. I'm sorry about the situation and hope things get resolved soon.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
I would hire an attorney, they usually get positive results.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
CIGNA and Social Security should both consider him disabled. You need a lawyer. Seriously. You also need to talk to an accountant. Friends in a similar position file "married filing separately" so as to not screw up the SS disability.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,537,926 times
Most lawyers will give you a free consultation. I'd go talk to one. If your husband can't go to the lawyer's office be sure to tell them you need the lawyer to come to you.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,785 times
Yes, I would consider him disabled. However, my opinion won't get you the disability. I would talk to an attorney. Good luck to you both.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
If you don't know it, doctors or insurance companies carry no legal weight with Social Security Disability; only a judge can declare a person legally disabled. So the other posters who have advised you to secure an attorney are steering you right.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If you don't know it, doctors or insurance companies carry no legal weight with Social Security Disability; only a judge can declare a person legally disabled. So the other posters who have advised you to secure an attorney are steering you right.
I am not sure if she has tried through ss disability. Sounds like insurance only.

OP, I would get a lawyer, if you can, and appeal. Also, if you have not already, try for SSDI. You do not need a judge or an attorney to go and apply for that, and you also need neither of them to get it.

Many people are denied, I will say that. I was not. I keep impeccable medical records on myself, and my doctors filled out everything they needed to and I would say I got it in about 3 months. You have go to a Psychologist appointed by them.

I ended up with Medicare as well, and just last year, I started getting extra prescription help. Not everyone qualifies for that.

My medication so far this year has added up to over 50k, so there is no way I could afford that.

I know dealing with your husbands illness has to be so tough on you, both of my parents had a few different cancers between them.

It's hard, but you have to be very pro-active, and if you need to, try and enlist help. Make sure you take care of yourself, because you are no good to him if you are not healthy.

I wore myself down terribly when I was taking care of my mom. Thank goodness I didn't have RA back then.

I will certainly keep you all in my prayers.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,820,291 times
We have a consultation with a lawyer this morning.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Since this is not rally a H&W question and we do not offer legal advice, this thread is closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness