Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM

543 posts, read 943,845 times

Advertisements

Floatation therapy is a niche market, hardly known. It is gaining steam in the Pacifica region(Vancouver, San Francisco and especially Portland) and float centers are cropping up around North America. Still nowhere compared to Europe which currently has more than 300 centers. It gained momentum in the 80s with a slew of articles in the New york times and a movie-Altered States- but fizzled out again.

Float tanks are basically tanks filled with Epsom Salts(great source of magnesium). A person enters the space and basically floats like a bottle because of the buoyancy provided by the salt. The effect is said to be different for different folks, ranging from a sense of rejuvenation to a spiritual high even. It has tremendous effects physically as well with subjects noticing a sense of well being.

Anyone heard of float tanks?
Anyone floated?

Please share your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times
Sounds like one of those things that 99.9999% percent of people who did it, tried it exactly one time - just to try it. And the number of people who do it after the first time decays as a 10th order exponent.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
My friend's mom had one...I didn't realize they used Epsom Salt or magnesium sulfate...which we are
all so deficient in bec of our soil. Maybe bec she just used sea salt....hmm, don't know.
I also don't remember any bitterness associated with Epsom Salts...
I find the same effect with meditation...but understand I meditate for hrs
and hrs in a sitting for 4 decades...
It is a good thing...I support ANYthing that will cause people to go inside.

I am cautious with public places because of germs, tho...that's just me, I'm sure they're
fine.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:59 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
I had heard of flotation tanks back when I lived in the Chicago area and wanted very much to try one but never got the opportunity. I loved the idea of them but was a little fearful of a sudden onset of claustraphobia or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness