Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 04:45 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

I've come across a few articles lately linking prolonged cell-phone use to cancer/tumors.

Does anyone know if the "bad" radiation is emitted only during a call or is it the same all the time?

I ask this because I always have my cell-phone in my pocket, but when I talk, I usually use a hands-free device or use the speaker phone. I wonder if keeping in my pants might have negative effects. From the articles I've read, they only talk about holding the phone to your head during a call.

Let me know, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Maybe if you don't have children yet.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:31 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I've come across a few articles lately linking prolonged cell-phone use to cancer/tumors.

Does anyone know if the "bad" radiation is emitted only during a call or is it the same all the time?

I ask this because I always have my cell-phone in my pocket, but when I talk, I usually use a hands-free device or use the speaker phone. I wonder if keeping in my pants might have negative effects. From the articles I've read, they only talk about holding the phone to your head during a call.

Let me know, thanks!
There is no conclusive link between cell phone use and cancer.

Cell Phones and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute

Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I don't have children yet, uh oh! lol

Thanks for the replies and the link.

I feel better now.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no conclusive link between cell phone use and cancer.

Cell Phones and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute
Yeah, what she said. There are a lot of sites on the internet arguing both sides of the issue, but nothing has been conclusive.

I am pretty sure the phone emits a lot more radiation during calls. The phone does communicate with towers whenever it's turned on, but I believe the power output is much lower.

I think the current concerns about cell phone radiation stem from the days of analog cell phones. The first analog consumer cell phones that were installed in cars produced a lot more radiation than today's digital cell phones. From what I recall, cell phone installers made a point of installing the antenna at the rear of the vehicle, in order to decrease the radiation exposure of the occupants in the vehicle. The first handheld cell phones (e.g. the Motorola Startac) were reduced to 0.6 watts, probably due to this concern ("bag phones" and "car phones" operated at 3 watts.) That said, I am sure battery life was also a concern. My father had one of the first 0.6 watt Startac phones. He had a kit installed in his car that allowed him to use the phone at 3 watts, via. an external antenna.

If you are really worried about a digital cell phone turning your brain into swiss cheese, use a Bluetooth headset.

Last edited by ToucheGA; 12-29-2013 at 12:22 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 05:47 AM

16 posts, read 21,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Yeah, what she said. There are a lot of sites on the internet arguing both sides of the issue, but nothing has been conclusive.

I am pretty sure the phone emits a lot more radiation during calls. The phone does communicate with towers whenever it's turned on, but I believe the power output is much lower.

I think the current concerns about cell phone radiation stem from the days of analog cell phones. The first analog consumer cell phones that were installed in cars produced a lot more radiation than today's digital cell phones. From what I recall, cell phone installers made a point of installing the antenna at the rear of the vehicle, in order to decrease the radiation exposure of the occupants in the vehicle. The first handheld cell phones (e.g. the Motorola Startac) were reduced to 0.6 watts, probably due to this concern ("bag phones" and "car phones" operated at 3 watts.) That said, I am sure battery life was also a concern. My father had one of the first 0.6 watt Startac phones. He had a kit installed in his car that allowed him to use the phone at 3 watts, via. an external antenna.

If you are really worried about a digital cell phone turning your brain into swiss cheese, use a Bluetooth headset.
>> I am pretty sure the phone emits a lot more radiation during calls. The phone does communicate with towers whenever it's turned on, but I believe the power output is much lower.
Doing some testing with my iPhone 5s (while its plugged into USB): Specifically during inbound/outbound calls (the initial connection) it will jump to 26 volts per meter (spike) and 1.0-1.4 volts per meter when talking on the phone. When the call ends, it drops down to 0.3-0.4 volts per meter.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 AM

16 posts, read 21,186 times
I ran another test when not connected via USB:

When not connected to USB, its not nearly as bad, here is an iPhone before, during an after a call, notice the histogram as well throughout the duration of the test, in short it rises to ~1V/meter and more after the call, but dips back down to 0.3-0.4V/M thereafter:

YouTube

Last edited by jpiszcz; 12-29-2013 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: spacing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness