Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 03:17 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've mentioned I ended up with Femoral Nerve damage from Anterior. I've read a lot about the nerve and where it is and either from forcing the muscles etc and even the catheter can damage the nerve. My thigh is 80% numb and it's 6 yrs post op soon. It's taxing and affects the knee more too even though leg came out shorter.

Am I the only one here with a mess?
Moderator cut: rude remark deleted

And yes apparently you are the only one here with a "mess" as has been mentioned once or twice, Hip Replacement Surgery is one of the most effective surgeries known to man with consistently excellent results for the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of patients who under go the procedure...

As for PRP/Stem Cell injections, no evidence they work, certainly not going to regrow cartilage because once its gone its gone....

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-10-2016 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 06:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
I had not seen this thread til now, so I thought I'd chime in. July 14 this year, I had my right hip replaced after years of pain. I was walking short distances with a cane, and using a wheelchair or motorized cart for shopping. Prescription NSAID and narcotics kept the pain bearable, unless I stood or walked.

When the surgeon went in (posterior approach), he discovered that I'd had undiagnosed hip dysplasia, probably because I was born breech. As a result, I'd worn a large spot in my hip socket, and major correction needed to be done. I ended up with bone grafts, a revision cup, five LONG screws, and a long-stemmed femoral piece. The surgery took four hours. I was no weight bearing for four weeks after surgery, and gradually increased to full weight bearing. Now, though I'm still using the walker a bit, I expect to be off it in a week or so. I had in-home PT until I was full weight-bearing; now I go out to PT three times a week.

Due to all the work that was done, my surgeon is extending hip precautions for six months, and I am not permitted to climb stairs with my right leg. Good leg up, bad leg down, which is what I was doing before the surgery.

Pain-wise - really no pain except for exercise, and that's muscular. I'm not taking any medication for pain on a regular basis, not even Tylenol. I love my new hip!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:49 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've followed this blog for a while and even posted my review on the anterior approach and damage I live with. THis could help for those thinking of hip replacement as it gives the pros and cons of the posterior and anterior.

The Pros and Cons of Two Approaches to Hip Replacement: Mini-Posterior and Direct Anterior - The Leone Center for Orthopedic Care

Old 09-10-2016, 10:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
I've mentioned I ended up with Femoral Nerve damage from Anterior. I've read a lot about the nerve and where it is and either from forcing the muscles etc and even the catheter can damage the nerve. My thigh is 80% numb and it's 6 yrs post op soon. It's taxing and affects the knee more too even though leg came out shorter.

Am I the only one here with a mess?
The main determinant to the positive or negative outcomes of these surgeries is the number of the same procedures the surgeon has performed.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:37 PM

Everyone's body is different and every outcome can be different regardless of the number done. So much can go wrong.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:14 PM

I just read thru most of the posts and did read about some with problems. Not everyone comes thru these with glowing outcomes. I spoke to about 4 people who had the surgeon I chose and who did the Anterior and they had good outcomes. I thought I'd be one of them too. \

Today on the PRP radio show with Dr. Darrow in LA, a 50 yr old called in who has run many marathons and even a triathalon and now deals with a lot of hip pain from advancing arthritis. He was telling Dr. Darrow he wants to get back to major running again...can Dr. Darrow guarantee him that with PRP....the doctor said I cannot guarantee anything. Maybe this 50 yr old needs a reality check on what he's done and what he wants to do.

This 50 yr old does not want a hip replacement and then asked Dr. Darrow why insurance won't pay for PRP/Stem Cells.

Dr. Darrow said -- who do you think controls what is paid for in the health insurance world. Certainly not the alternative protocols, the drug and surgery MD's control it with the insurance world.

What if PRP/Stem Cells really do the "job" that would really cut into the surgeries performed daily worldwide.

I"m wondering how some here I've read about with issues are doing today.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:59 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
This 50 yr old does not want a hip replacement and then asked Dr. Darrow why insurance won't pay for PRP/Stem Cells.

Dr. Darrow said -- who do you think controls what is paid for in the health insurance world. Certainly not the alternative protocols, the drug and surgery MD's control it with the insurance world.

What if PRP/Stem Cells really do the "job" that would really cut into the surgeries performed daily worldwide.
There is no evidence that PRP/stem cells produce lasting beneficial results. That's why insurance will not pay for it.

MDs do not determine what insurance companies pay for. The companies do. They do not want to pay for stuff without evidence that it does anything.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-11-2016 at 08:17 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 08:22 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
I am 71 years old .
I had right hip replaced in November of 2014 and left hip replaced in October of 2015.
It was a breeze !

The surgeon said a lot depends on your physical shape at time of surgery.

Here is what my hip replacements accomplished..........

#1.......no more severe groin pain
#2.......I can now easily pull on my socks ( nearly impossible before)
#3......This was a side benefit.........no more extreme sciatic pain shooting down from my right hip to right knee.

Cost ?.....I have no idea. The VA used my Medicare as primary and picked up every penny that Medicare didn't pay. Surgery was done at a new civilian hospital under the VA CHOICE program.

Thank you.......VA

Old 09-11-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no evidence that PRP/stem cells produce lasting beneficial results. That's why insurance will not pay for it.

MDs do not determine what insurance companies pay for. The companies do. They do not want to pay for stuff without evidence that it does anything.
Pharma industry works with insurance companies on what will be paid.

How many do you know who have had PRP and Stem Cells? If you care to, read some yelp reviews from many who have gone to Dr. Darrow for this work, which he has been doing going on 20 yrs.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/darrow-stem...te-los-angeles

And yes, MANY MANY more would do these if insurance paid, many just can't afford this work.

Athletes have been doing this work for many years.

I had dextrose Prolo in my shoulder over 7 yrs ago and got 3 years pain free shoulder. Often more injections are required down the road. I have no desire to do shoulder surgery of any kind.

I'm doing dextrose Prolo with D.O. now and hoping to avoid any surgery and if it means doing these injections forever, I will. He does injections 3 weeks apart in each area that we work on.

So many issues with these replacements. They are posted on joint replacements boards and I've been on many of them. Dislocations, revisions, nerve damage, shorter/longer legs, INFECTIONS, all equipment being removed due to massive infection issues. I talk to and read what so many go thru. I know what I live with.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:05 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
My husband had PRP done twice and felt it did nothing.

If you're going to read all the bad online and give it credit, you need to do the same for the good. And realize, people do not come to forums to tell how great something is, it is usually to complain.

I see it in myself on Yelp. I am super motivated to post when I didn't like something, and slower to get around to posting something positive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness