Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

Have any interests/hobbies had to be given up due to age and/or too physical to handle? Had any surgeries, at an older age (60 up), that stopped you from doing certain interests/hobbies that you had?

Here's mine:
Ankle surgery in '88 that didn't slow/stop me for a long time, at least up til now. Too much walking, like at a zoo, and it will be Motrin/cold packs for a couple of days.
Hip replacement in '05 and those water skiing days were over (they were pretty much over anyway), but the hip surgery really put an end to the rodeo-roping days. Had to give up on Squaredancing and Country-Western dancing as well. As like the ankle, too much walking and I say "Hello" to Motrin and cold packs!
Rotator Cuff surgery (shoulder) in '07. Hip replacement basically ended the rodeo days, but the shoulder surgery definitely did! No more swinging a rope and no more heavy lifting (saddle).
Now, a couple of things that haven't been hindered (or stopped) by the surgeries.......power boating and some fishing.......THANK GOD!! But, even doing those things can possibly bring out the Motrin/cold packs afterwards. The "early 60's" bodies of wife and I just can't handle some of the physical stuff that we use to be able to handle!
And, on top of surgeries stopping some things, my age, physical limitations (due to the surgeries) has affected me in the "looking for a job" thing. But, fortunately, I turned 62 last month so it's SS time.......and, perhaps a part-time job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I gave up golf'but that was from a military shoulder injury.Other tha that i can't thnik of being forced to change nay hobbies or interest.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
So far, I've been lucky. I do more physical things now than I did while I was working the high stress job. I know it won't stay that way so my plan is to just enjoy it while I can.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I have always loved to garden...inexplicably I find myself in retirement with a garden that is 3 times the size of any garden I have ever owned. I used to literally garden the entire day with almost no breaks - now about 4 hrs. is my limit. Gardening is good exercise and so enjoyable, well for me anyway.

I can no longer water ski or do anythng that is jarring due to back and neck problems but I can easily walk 5 miles up and down steep hills and not be tired so I guess that is something.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
Hey Loveboating: change to an English saddle and you can still ride! I ride English, even with a 3 vertebrae spinal fusion (did a 150 mile trip in Ireland last year).

No doubt old age and surgeries will slow one down but aren't we fortunate that modern surgery can provide replacement parts. My only concession to age is staying out of 4" plus high heels. Depressing. I'm lucky however as all the surgeries were more than sucessful and enabled me to continue my hobbies.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Thanks, but no thanks! I was a Team Roper and loved being a cowboy......yes, those were the "good old days". But, flying along the water in a boat sure hasn't affected me in anyway. Only one word for that......GOOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Hey Loveboating: change to an English saddle and you can still ride! I ride English, even with a 3 vertebrae spinal fusion (did a 150 mile trip in Ireland last year).
No doubt old age and surgeries will slow one down but aren't we fortunate that modern surgery can provide replacement parts. My only concession to age is staying out of 4" plus high heels. Depressing. I'm lucky however as all the surgeries were more than sucessful and enabled me to continue my hobbies.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Had to give up tennis due to tendonitis and trigger fingers.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Food.

Six months ago I had bariatric surgery - the gastric bypass 'Roux-En-Y' procedure - for weight loss. Before I was obese .... weighed 215 and now I weigh in at 140. My diabetes, high blood pressure, and obstructive sleep apnea (the terrible trio of overweight people) are GONE. I am off all meds.

However ... now that I do not have a "stomach" just a golf ball sized "pouch" made out of my small intestine ... I can only eat tiny, tiny portions. I can longer be a "foodie" fondly reading new restaurant reviews, trying out new eating places, most of all going to buffets and all-you-can-eat places. That is now a thing of the past. I can no longer digest fatty or very greasy foods and I cannot tolerate bacon anymore. Sweets I can have but only a tiny portion, such as one single little Godiva chocolate.

No regrets about the surgery. I look great and feel great. Went from a 40' waist down to 32' ... neck size from 18 and 1/2 down to 16.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,932 times
Not even close to retirement age but I had to give up sports..I loved to play volleyball, softball and kickball...I always wanted to play tennis. I was a pretty good sprinter once too. But not anymore..I am very nearsighted with astigmatism and because of this my eyeballs are very long..oval shaped actually instead of round. My retinas are very fragile and highly susceptible to detachment. I can't afford even a slight blow to the head or the jarring of a fall. I am not a candidate for corrective surgury until I develop cataracts.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 PM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Due to herniated disc (L4) I had to give up horseback riding, and I limit my gardening activities such as not bending over and pulling weeds, no raking, and no heavy lifting (yay for husband with strong back!)

LivingDeadGirl---I am impressed you can ride with back fusion---did surgeons give you the okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement