Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I had surgery on a torn Achilles tendon. Three years ago I tore the OTHER one, so I knew what I was in for - two weeks of non weight bearing with lots of elevation, crutches, pain (it's a pretty painful and long recovery time), and basically moving around on one foot for a couple of months. INCONVENIENT! Last time I thought I was pretty well set up, in the den, but I learned something pretty important during that time - it's the little things that can bug the mess out of us...and combined with pain, boredom, frustration, etc we can wear on ourselves...and on our caretakers.

Also when you're in pain, or can't put any weight on your leg so you have to use crutches or a knee scooter or a wheelchair for any length of time (in my case, non weight bearing for two weeks and crutches for two months or so), you really need to have things close at hand - it's safer than trying to navigate all over the house, especially on tile or wood floors (which we have).

And finally - frankly, I don't like having my whole house torn up or having a big mess all scattered around me and a recliner. And what I would find myself doing is thinking, "Dang, I need to brush my teeth/wash my face/freshen up" or "My gosh, I wish I had a cup of coffee/tea/soda" and I'd HATE to ask someone to help me! HATE IT HATE IT. And I was self conscious when people came by - the house was a wreck, I was a wreck, BLECH!

So...I decided to set up my base of operations in the guest room, which we're lucky enough to have (master would work well too...but I know that caretakers get burned out too, and I really didn't want to bother my husband more than necessary, especially at night).

Check out this sweet setup! Mini fridge and microwave, single server coffee maker and "coffee bar" on the dresser, TV/Roku box (Netflix, BBC, PBS, even yoga!), "technology center" (laptop, Kindle, phone, etc), and then a nightstand right beside me with personal items - stuff like deodorant, lotions/creams/oils, wipes, disposable toothbrushes, makeup, nail file, medications, etc.

Oh, and the fridge/microwave are stocked with: bottled waters (regular, mineral, coconut), milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, granola, fresh fruits, PRUNES (trust me, after surgery you need prunes! LOL), and personal favorites for microwave dinners - pho, kimchee, curries, soups, etc. I also got disposable bowls, cutlery, and paper towels...oh and salt and pepper and even soy sauce! I THINK I HAVE THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING - lol!

We invested in renting a knee scooter - SO much better than crutches, for anyone who is having any sort of foot or ankle or lower leg procedures! I can't recommend it enough! Besides being easier to navigate, I think it's safer than crutches.

OK so here are the pics:

Pedicure the day before surgery - since I AM going to be looking at these toes pretty much non stop for the next month:

Reading material for the hospital:

Instructions for the surgical team - actually they told me this is a really good idea!

Mini fridge and microwave beside the bed:

"Coffee/drink bar" on dresser on other side of the bed:

Life saver - I mean knee scooter:

COMMUNICATION CENTER - LOL (TV, Roku, laptop, Kindle, phone, and chargers):

Personal "comfort" items:

Appropriate clothing!

What are some tips you can share for those facing a long convalescence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Frozen meals and lots of them. Open the boxes ahead of time if it's hand or arm surgery.

Get a pet sitter if needed. I had one come in morning, noon, and night to feed them and let the dogs out & in.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
-Hand weights so you can burn some calories and maintain upper body strength
-A doughnut seating pillow
-A buckwheat pillow that smushes into any shape---best for a chair
-Baby wipes
-A pill organizer with 4 spots for each day (for pain meds especially)
-Sweatpants, so you can pull them down with one hand while holding scooter OR maybe better, soft fabric skirts, which allow more air to your privates while sitting so long

Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Frozen meals and lots of them. Open the boxes ahead of time if it's hand or arm surgery.

Get a pet sitter if needed. I had one come in morning, noon, and night to feed them and let the dogs out & in.
Good tips, Southern Belle - I imagine that hand surgery is even more irritating than foot surgery in a lot of ways. More inhibiting. It would drive me crazy - but we do what we gotta do.

I am going to have to get a neighbor to come take care of my pets when my husband goes back to work (he took two weeks off). I won't be able to fill up their feeder - but I am going to have to just manage letting them in and out. At least they're well housebroken. I am more worried about one of them knocking me down (they're both big dogs).

Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
That's quite an impressive set-up you've got going, there!

I cannot emphasize the importance of various types of body wipes. I like having 2 kinds - cheaper ones I can use on my body to take a sponge bath, and the nicer, gentler ones to use on my face.

Dry shampoo - nice to do a quick freshen-up without having to shower, especially if someone drops by to pay a visit. I'm partial to the Oscar Blandi brand.

When I was recovering from oral surgery last month, I basically moved into the living room (which has a memory foam sleeper sofa that's amazingly comfortable), so I'd be closet to the kitchen and the much bigger, better TV. The sleeper sofa folds into a queen size bed, and my BF bought a bunch of extra pillows and set it up so the one side of the bed was perfect for sitting up and lounging. He even found a wonderful pillow that's designed for sitting up and reading/lounging, complete with beverage holders in the arms (similar in shape to what I've heard called a 'husband pillow'). The other side of the bed was set up for comfortable sleeping. It was great if I was watching TV or reading and wanted to nap, I just rolled over.

Pump dispenser of instant hand sanitizer? Not sure if that's included in your personal care items.

Trash can conveniently located next to bed.

Emesis basin nearby for the first day or two, post-op.

I was taking a LOT of medications, every 4 hours. I set up alarms on my iPhone, using a different sound alert than I use for incoming calls, text messages, etc. It worked really well - when it was time to take my meds, after the first day my body understood what the noise meant and didn't wake up fully.

Apologies if this is a bit gross, but if you ever have surgery where its' going to be very difficult to change your own clothing without help, panty-liners are a godsend.

If I am having elective surgery, I like to get my hair cut/colored and then get my legs/armpits waxed (or use Nair) a day or two beforehand. Makes me feel a bit better groomed during the recovery process.

Hope you're on the mend!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
That's quite an impressive set-up you've got going, there!

I cannot emphasize the importance of various types of body wipes. I like having 2 kinds - cheaper ones I can use on my body to take a sponge bath, and the nicer, gentler ones to use on my face.

Dry shampoo - nice to do a quick freshen-up without having to shower, especially if someone drops by to pay a visit. I'm partial to the Oscar Blandi brand.

When I was recovering from oral surgery last month, I basically moved into the living room (which has a memory foam sleeper sofa that's amazingly comfortable), so I'd be closet to the kitchen and the much bigger, better TV. The sleeper sofa folds into a queen size bed, and my BF bought a bunch of extra pillows and set it up so the one side of the bed was perfect for sitting up and lounging. He even found a wonderful pillow that's designed for sitting up and reading/lounging, complete with beverage holders in the arms (similar in shape to what I've heard called a 'husband pillow'). The other side of the bed was set up for comfortable sleeping. It was great if I was watching TV or reading and wanted to nap, I just rolled over.

Pump dispenser of instant hand sanitizer? Not sure if that's included in your personal care items.

Trash can conveniently located next to bed.

Emesis basin nearby for the first day or two, post-op.

I was taking a LOT of medications, every 4 hours. I set up alarms on my iPhone, using a different sound alert than I use for incoming calls, text messages, etc. It worked really well - when it was time to take my meds, after the first day my body understood what the noise meant and didn't wake up fully.

Apologies if this is a bit gross, but if you ever have surgery where its' going to be very difficult to change your own clothing without help, panty-liners are a godsend.

If I am having elective surgery, I like to get my hair cut/colored and then get my legs/armpits waxed (or use Nair) a day or two beforehand. Makes me feel a bit better groomed during the recovery process.

Hope you're on the mend!
We are twins separated at birth! I am TOTALLY with you on all of the above. I scheduled a trip to the hairdresser as well as a pedicure right before all this drama. I spent nearly an hour in the bathtub the morning of the surgery, with aromatherapy bath salts! I was as clean and groomed as a beauty queen (sans the makeup) going into surgery! LOL

Yes, definitely hand sanitizer as well as the two different types of wipes - one for body and one for face. Very important. I also have a little manicure set so I can keep my fingernails smooth and neat.

The two sides of the bed thing sounds great. Unfortunately I can't do that because I can only sleep in one position - on my back with my leg raised above my heart. This is pretty much the same position as I watch TV in - with a pillow removed - heh! I am using three gigantic pillows (Euro style) to get my leg raised that high. But it actually feels pretty darn good that way. I can really tell a difference when I lower it, and not a good difference. I don't naturally sleep on my back though so that's driving me a little crazy. Also, my HEEL is burning with pain (normal for this procedure) - I swear it feels like it's on fire. ARGH! I'll be glad when this part is over.

I have fresh underwear, t-shirts, and pajama bottoms in a drawer nearby. It feels great to change into something fresh. Laundry basket in the corner to toss things into.

I clear out the pillows a couple of times a day and do leg lifts, sit ups, arm exercises and stretches. Whew, that helps. It feels great to refesh and plump up all the thousands of pillows too. They're sort of wearing me out but I need them.

The best pillow I have though is my 17 pound cat, who has decided to camp out with me (no surprise there!). I highly recommend a cat pillow for convalescents.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
Oh, you poor thing. That's no fun being so limited in how you can position your body.

17 lb cat?!? Main Coon? And are kitty treats part of your snack bar? (My little fluffy girl is tiny by comparison, barely 7 lbs).

What's the recovery period like for the surgery you had? Sounds like you're in for a long period of healing.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Oh, you poor thing. That's no fun being so limited in how you can position your body.

17 lb cat?!? Main Coon? And are kitty treats part of your snack bar? (My little fluffy girl is tiny by comparison, barely 7 lbs).

What's the recovery period like for the surgery you had? Sounds like you're in for a long period of healing.
I am getting pretty antsy - and it's my first 36 hours - LOL! The recovery (if all goes well as I expect it will since I had the same surgery on my other achilles tendon three years ago and it went well) is as follows, roughly:

2 weeks in a cast with toe facing down, non weight bearing, crutches and mostly bedrest with ankle elevated above heart
2 weeks in a cast with more "bend" to the ankle, can put some weight on toes to balance, still on crutches
2 weeks in robocop air boot with crutches, some weight bearing, lifts in boot
2 weeks in boot with no crutches, full weight bearing, one small lift or no lift in boot

After the boot comes off, the real fun begins - Physical therapy! Last time I went to PT 2-3 times a week, for about two hours at a time, for about three months. You lose lots of strength in the affected leg and overcompensate with the other, which means that your whole body gets out of whack. Also, the tendon grows back shortened and stiffened, so it has to be elongated and restored to full range of motion. so it's a lot of work, but very successful in the long run. It takes about 6 months to feel normal in a normal day (with your leg getting tired after strenuous activity, swelling sometimes, etc) but one day you realize, "Hey, I haven't limped all day...and I feel really good!"

After my first one, I was hiking within 6 months and ziplining at my one year anniversary of the surgery!

Unfortunately I have degenerative ATs - it's genetic from what my doc tells me. But once they're fixed, they're fixed! So I should be fine. It's just a real ordeal, and one I never saw coming. I couldn't BELIEVE it when the second one weirded out on me!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Sorry you are laid up. Looks like you are pretty set though.

We must have the same thought process, before any surgery, I have a full detail, nails, pedicure, facial, hair done, brows waxed, lash dye. I feel much better.

And I make sure the house is immaculate, you never know who might come over to "help".

For my knee surgery, I bought some inexpensive t shirt dresses, slip over head. I knew wearing pants was not going to happen for awhile. Something to think about, for hand surgery, whatever, realize what will you be able to put on and take off easily. They were bright colors, I could lounge in them, and look good, and feel good.
Women's Short Sleeve Madras Trim Polo Dress from Lands' End

Old 02-13-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sorry you are laid up. Looks like you are pretty set though.

We must have the same thought process, before any surgery, I have a full detail, nails, pedicure, facial, hair done, brows waxed, lash dye. I feel much better.

And I make sure the house is immaculate, you never know who might come over to "help".

For my knee surgery, I bought some inexpensive t shirt dresses, slip over head. I knew wearing pants was not going to happen for awhile. Something to think about, for hand surgery, whatever, realize what will you be able to put on and take off easily. They were bright colors, I could lounge in them, and look good, and feel good.
Women's Short Sleeve Madras Trim Polo Dress from Lands' End
You are so right about ease of dressing, and really thinking about that. Good idea with those cute dresses, by the way! I hadn't really thought of dresses. But I did realize with horror a few days before the surgery that I only had two pairs of yoga pants with bell bottoms - the rest of my "lounging" attire/pajamas were all along the lines of leggings. I had to run out and buy a few pairs of athletic pants that have a wide leg to get over the cast. Boring way to spend money, but at least I'll have plenty of things to wear to the gym when I start physical therapy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness