Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times

Advertisements

I've had good luck with OTC remedies such as Unisom (doxylamine succinate) and Benadryl (dipenhydramine, which is the active ingredient in Sominex).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 01:30 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Insomnia is the worst. I've used melatonin (crazy dreams), Unisom (groggy until about noon the next day), and Tylenol PM (don't feel well rested). The only thing that works well for me is marijuana before bed - though I share similar concerns with you. I developed insomnia as a result of cancer treatment and anxiety, but also have lung damage from chemo so smoke is not good for my lungs. It was actually my oncologist who recommended marijuana as a safe way to manage my symptoms and side effects without creating other impairing side effects. 3 years post diagnosis, I no longer need medication on a regular basis to sleep but sometimes still need help. After all, here I am at 3:30AM having been up for 2 hours. My doctors all know that I use marijuana this way and are all fine with it - medical marijuana is legal in my state, though dispensaries have not yet been established.

If your office does not do drug tests, marijuana can be the best option. While I don't feel as well-rested the next morning as if I had an unimpaired, uninterrupted night's sleep, I'm miles more effective and focused at work than if I either didn't get enough sleep or took some kind of sleep aid. It's particularly effective for me when I wake up in the middle of the night. I know that if I wake up at 1AM, I'm not falling back asleep for a few hours. It's too late to take a Unisom or melatonin, but if I take a few puffs as soon as I wake up, I can fall asleep within a half hour.

Vaporizers are a good way of maximizing your THC levels while also not hurting your lungs. They range from little Top Flight boxes for around $50 to the famous Volcano topping out the market in the $200s range.

Make sure you have good sleep hygiene as well. Cut screen time an hour before bed (reading a book is fine), make sure there are no lights in your room - covering up digital clocks if you need to, and cut caffeine. Part of my problem is that I live with roommates and need to fall asleep with the TV on in the background to drown out their noise. That's a really bad way to get a good night's rest, so I've spent a long time trying to train myself out of it!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:04 AM

503 posts, read 1,204,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Insomnia is the worst. I've used melatonin (crazy dreams), Unisom (groggy until about noon the next day), and Tylenol PM (don't feel well rested). The only thing that works well for me is marijuana before bed - though I share similar concerns with you. I developed insomnia as a result of cancer treatment and anxiety, but also have lung damage from chemo so smoke is not good for my lungs. It was actually my oncologist who recommended marijuana as a safe way to manage my symptoms and side effects without creating other impairing side effects. 3 years post diagnosis, I no longer need medication on a regular basis to sleep but sometimes still need help. After all, here I am at 3:30AM having been up for 2 hours. My doctors all know that I use marijuana this way and are all fine with it - medical marijuana is legal in my state, though dispensaries have not yet been established.

If your office does not do drug tests, marijuana can be the best option. While I don't feel as well-rested the next morning as if I had an unimpaired, uninterrupted night's sleep, I'm miles more effective and focused at work than if I either didn't get enough sleep or took some kind of sleep aid. It's particularly effective for me when I wake up in the middle of the night. I know that if I wake up at 1AM, I'm not falling back asleep for a few hours. It's too late to take a Unisom or melatonin, but if I take a few puffs as soon as I wake up, I can fall asleep within a half hour.

Vaporizers are a good way of maximizing your THC levels while also not hurting your lungs. They range from little Top Flight boxes for around $50 to the famous Volcano topping out the market in the $200s range.

Make sure you have good sleep hygiene as well. Cut screen time an hour before bed (reading a book is fine), make sure there are no lights in your room - covering up digital clocks if you need to, and cut caffeine. Part of my problem is that I live with roommates and need to fall asleep with the TV on in the background to drown out their noise. That's a really bad way to get a good night's rest, so I've spent a long time trying to train myself out of it!
I'm retired now but for 3 years when I was working I was on the dreaded third shift. I live in a giant condo complex so during the day there's lots of everyday noises that make it hard to fall asleep and stay asleep. I got one of these sleep machines. It took about a week to get used to it but it really, really helped. I'm retired now but still use it sometimes when the people downstairs are noisy.
Look it up on Amazon and read the reviews.

PS. Sorry about the large size of the text and picture. Didn't know how to shrink them.

Marpac Dohm-DS Dual Speed Sound Conditioner

Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 AM

624 posts, read 763,309 times
My friend told me marijuana is the only thing that helps my friend sleep well through the night. My friend would fall asleep and then wake up an hour later and not be able to fall back asleep. Or she would wake up at 4am and not be able to fall back out until 6am, and she had to get up at 7.

My friend doesn't have any problems falling back to sleep anymore. A good night's sleep is a wonderful thing

Old 03-01-2014, 07:32 PM

145 posts, read 186,108 times
Best cure for insomnia?

Get up earlier, do something and don't nap during the day.

Knew a guy who complained about insomnia.

Then he got a job at a factory where he had to be at work at 6:30 in the morning.

No more insomnia.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Cut out the afternoon caffeine.

Check out "EFY and Insomnia" (search on YouTube)

Google "anxiety and flower essences" and get whatever is appropriate at a health food store.

Use a sound machine.

Do not listen to the news or do any work in the evening.

Use lavender essential oil on crown and third eye chakras, as well as on pulses and chest.

Check out "Silva Method" - totally easy - count back from 50 or when you train yourself, 10 and deep breathe.

Make sure there are no electronics in your bedroom - no lights of any kind.

Take a hot bath before bed. Establish a sleep routine.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Every once in a while my sleep cycle gets out of whack. I use melatonin sometimes too; often it helps, but not always. Taking an over the counter sleep aid for about three nights in a row seems to get me back on schedule.

A glass of wine after supper can also do wonders.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Chamomile tea or hot milk before bed. Also hot bath with epsom salts helps.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Too late to edit my post - should be "EFT and insomnia," not EFY. EFT is the Emotional Freedom Technique (tapping on acupressure points to relieve almost any issue).

Old 03-03-2014, 10:25 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
weed does help with sleep. it is one of the most effective sleep aids out there in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness