Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here tried the Torrent Pharma brand in generic Ambien? Well... I was switched to generic Ambien when it forst came out in 2007. Alwatys used Teva Pharma and never had a real problem. All of the sudden last month they switched to Torrent and it does nothing..even when take 2 at a time. It is controlled substance so can not just transfer to another pharmacy. Store said they do not use Teva anymore and only use Torrent for generic Ambien..no options!!

I did call several other pharmacies. None seem to have Teva either. One carries Qualitec. Others say the are out of stock and can order? I am finding that odd and not getting real answers from any place. Doctor office will call tomorrow and see what they say, but they are never a help.

Main question is has anyone here tried Torrent pharma generic Ambien ( zolpidem tartrate) and had problems with it not working as well? I know many swear by name band only, but not really option.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 05:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I have no idea who manufactures the current generic my pharmacy uses, but it is definitely inferior. I used to get them at CVS, and before that, at the supermarket pharmacy near my home. They often used Dr. Reddy's (an international generics manufacturer) and it was always reliable. Now, I have to get my prescriptions via mail, because that's what the insurance company insists on (new insurance, new Rx policy). Definitely dissatisfied.

However..

Your body -will- adjust to it, if you allow it to. Try taking just the one you're supposed to take, and let your body adjust to the lower dosage. It might take a few uncomfortable nights but I did notice that things balanced out after awhile.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
I thought it was just me!

I was taking the generic, then, got a new bottle and thought they had made a mistake, even took it back for the pharmacist to check, it was the right drug.

But it did absolutely nothing, I lay awake until 4 am! then I found some other RX filled a few months earlier, took that, and slept like a baby!

Can you ask your doctor for the ambien CR? there is no generic, so they can't pull that on you. Its more expensive, but at least it works!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Can not do mail for Ambien as NY does not allow it for controlled substances...yet I do know some people who get other controlled substances like through mail-order. Guess insurance companies will force you do do anything as long as it saves them $$.

I did not like the Ambien CR. Kind of liked being able to cut regular Ambien in half if woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble falling back asleep. That system worked for me for 7 yrs. Now that we are back in NY I have had this problem.

Mainly because the laws here are very different and docs are afraid to prescribe more than 1 pill day. Where lived before I was able to get prescribed 20mg night. They knew me well and that I was not abusing it. I would take 10mg to go to sleep. The extra allowed me to keep 1/2 pill next to bed to take if needed if woke up. Never had to worry about running out. Now I have to take 20mg just to fall asleep so 30 pills last 15 days. Now this brand does not work so went through the 30 pills last month in 4 days!!

Believe it or not all thoses pills had NO effect what-so-ever!! Was wide awake!! Called 4 places today and none carry the Teva brand!! Very shocking and could find no info about it, no problems online.

It always come down to this... The Almighty $$ I bet this Torrent is costing them next to nothing!! Well it also does nothing!! I had many great years with Ambien so this is hard. Name brand is my next route going to look into prices. I always hear Costco has best prices and they do because when we moved I did get 3 month supply from them and it was significantly cheaper than all the other stores.

I just saw that Lunesta is going to be in generic soon,not sure exactly when but will consider it as option if need be.

Thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I have the Torrent generic. It works fine for me, but they may be because I reserve it for those times when I've gone couple of nights in a row unable to sleep with OTC meds. In other words, I very rarely have to resort to it.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Anyone else out there?? I always knew Ambien saw a HUGE drug so figured would get many more responses. Please any advice before Monday Morning comes around and I fight with doc for new script and ask only for NAME brand so can get some darn sleep!!

Thanks

Old 07-31-2011, 06:17 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Anyone else out there?? I always knew Ambien saw a HUGE drug so figured would get many more responses. Please any advice before Monday Morning comes around and I fight with doc for new script and ask only for NAME brand so can get some darn sleep!!

Thanks

I'm afraid I'm stuck with generic ambien, but I rather prefer it. After awhile, it does kick in, and I'm no so looped in the morning I can't wake up.

I've tried using melatonin, along with the Ambien, find I sleep better. the brand anme Ambien CR is 12.5 mg, the generic is 10 or 5 mg. I'm trying to taper off, so, perhaps try the melatonin.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 29,398 times
Default Ambien question(s)

I am very new here and not sure how it works so maybe if I post a question the power of a brilliant mind will advise me. please!!
My Dr. prescribed Ambien 10mg. I asked if I should continue with seroquel, amitriptyline and trazadone. She started looking up something and the appointment ended without advising. I really need sleep but I don;t want it to be permanent. I called back Dr but is on vacation, and on call is not willing to take a chance on advising without knowing me.

So I have been taking seroquel 300mg, amitriptyline 100mg, trazadone 100mg for chronic insomnia.

I also take the following: Lithium 300mg 2@night-1 am, Levothyroxine 50mg, Klonopin 1mg 3xday, Ranitidine 150mg 2xday, Gapentin 300mg 1 2xday 2@night, Ibuprofen 800mg 1q 6-8hrs, Kadian 60mg 3xday, Ondansetron 4mg 1-2q8hrs x2days.

I'd be grateful for input. I will take any advise seriously and consider looking for serious input. Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by scratch51; 06-26-2012 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammer

Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
You are on a lot of powerful drugs. If you can wait for your doctor to return, I would do so. The drug interactions need to be studied.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 21,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch51 View Post
I am very new here and not sure how it works so maybe if I post a question the power of a brilliant mind will advise me. please!!
My Dr. prescribed Ambien 10mg. I asked if I should continue with seroquel, amitriptyline and trazadone. She started looking up something and the appointment ended without advising. I really need sleep but I don;t want it to be permanent. I called back Dr but is on vacation, and on call is not willing to take a chance on advising without knowing me.

So I have been taking seroquel 300mg, amitriptyline 100mg, trazadone 100mg for chronic insomnia.

I also take the following: Lithium 300mg 2@night-1 am, Levothyroxine 50mg, Klonopin 1mg 3xday, Ranitidine 150mg 2xday, Gapentin 300mg 1 2xday 2@night, Ibuprofen 800mg 1q 6-8hrs, Kadian 60mg 3xday, Ondansetron 4mg 1-2q8hrs x2days.

I'd be grateful for input. I will take any advise seriously and consider looking for serious input. Thanks for any feedback.

Scratch51
I'm very new and I am just looking to see if anyone is getting the TEVA version of Ambien (Zolpidem).
This generic crap is just that, crap. I get used to one generic and then the pharmacy can't get it anymore so they give me something else called Torrent. I can't think straight on that stuff.
It appears you are on a lot of medication for mostly depression in some form...among other things..obviously nothing you're taking for chronic insomnia is working??? Otherwise you wouldn't need Ambien. I'm just trying to sleep but I do know that generics are all different. I don't care what the pharm says. I do better on Teva than I do Torrent but I'm having trouble getting Teva. It really shouldn't have to be this difficult. Just as it should not take so much medication for you to be able to sleep. I do know that if I mix sleep aids with cold medicines, it's a weird mix..sometimes I can sleep other times my heart is racing , then I get a headache and I sure can't sleep. Maybe you're just mixing too much together to get the outcome that you truly desire which is sleep. I have found that sometimes less is more. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.