Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM

151 posts, read 613,013 times

Advertisements

I am interested in donating plasma for some extra income. There is an organization near my home that pays $40.00 per donation. I would like to give plasma twice a week as I need the money. Of course, this is not my sole source of income, but it will allow for a little bit of extra cash flow.

What are the after effects of donating plasma? I understand that I may feel dizzy and sick for a few hours, but I know this goes away within time. Will it leave any black marks or permanent scarring on my arm?

Is donating plasma safe? Is it a healthy thing to do?

Please respond honestly and respectively. Your response will be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Can gay men give plasma? I have never been sexually active with male or female. Is this going to be an issue for me? I mean, I am in really good health...

EDIT: PLEASE. Can someone please answer my question as soon as possible? I need to plan my day tomorrow as giving plasma takes hours. Thank you.

Last edited by Sophisticated Lifestyles; 07-14-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Lifestyles View Post
Can gay men give plasma? I have never been sexually active with male or female. Is this going to be an issue for me? I mean, I am in really good health...

EDIT: PLEASE. Can someone please answer my question as soon as possible? I need to plan my day tomorrow as giving plasma takes hours. Thank you.
EDIT AGAIN: Well, I've decided that I'm going to miss class tomorrow so that I can take a chance on getting SOME money. Even if it's just $40.00, that will be something in my pocket. When you're broke, you're broke. My only fear is that I will not be accepted as a new client because I am gay. I think that's completely wrong, but I am going to be up front and tell them I am gay when I walk into the door. That way if I'm not, I can still get to class on time and not set there for 3-4 hours. There is no use in me trying to cover up my sexuality, it's so obvious. And I'm not ashamed. They either accept me or they don't.

Oops! I didn't mean to post another reply. I thought I had hit the edit button. This was by mistake and mods please don't write me up for this! :-)

Old 07-14-2011, 07:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
They'll ask dozens of questions, most of which revolve around your sexual habits and drug use (or lack thereof). They won't care which gender you're attracted to. What they care about, is whether or not you are sexually active, or have been in whatever amount of time they need to know about. They want to know if you have inks, piercings, when you got them, where you got them.

If you have to stop in the middle of the process, you get paid nothing. If you feel faint and have to stop having the plasma removed, you get paid nothing - even if you're almost done. If you have to go to the bathroom during the process, you can either hold it in, or you can discontinue the process, and get paid nothing.

You also want to make sure that *everyone* who comes into physical contact with you there, is wearing gloves, AND that there's no blood on the gloves.

You also want to make sure that if they allow you to sit on a chair, that there's no blood on the chair.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They'll ask dozens of questions, most of which revolve around your sexual habits and drug use (or lack thereof). They won't care which gender you're attracted to. What they care about, is whether or not you are sexually active, or have been in whatever amount of time they need to know about. They want to know if you have inks, piercings, when you got them, where you got them.

If you have to stop in the middle of the process, you get paid nothing. If you feel faint and have to stop having the plasma removed, you get paid nothing - even if you're almost done. If you have to go to the bathroom during the process, you can either hold it in, or you can discontinue the process, and get paid nothing.

You also want to make sure that *everyone* who comes into physical contact with you there, is wearing gloves, AND that there's no blood on the gloves.

You also want to make sure that if they allow you to sit on a chair, that there's no blood on the chair.
Wow! Thank you AnonChick! Your reply is so complete and informative, I really appreciate it.

I want to apologize if I've come off as obnoxious in previous threads. Please know that the person I was behaving as, is not who I want to be. Again, thank you!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 PM

No problem. You also probably will -not- want to just blurt out to whoever that you're gay. It's kind of rude. I don't walk into a place of work and announce that I'm straight. Don't give them information they don't ask for.

Oh also they'll make you drink a couple cups of water *before* you get the needle put in, since plasma is mostly water. So if you have a weak bladder, you might want to just find some other means of earning money. It's a popular thing for college students who are strapped for cash though. Kind of a slummy thing to do, and you'll probably see a lot of lowlifes there.

It's not really the kind of place where someone who spends as much as you do on skin care and food, would normally be seen. Or even want to go. You might be better off just - temporarily lowering your standards for awhile until you can find a more suitable job that better fits the lifestyle you wish to live.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
You need to drink more than just a couple of cups of water..you need to drink quite a bit 24 hrs before giving plasma and it doesnt take hours...90 mins tops.

if you need money that badly quit buying diet supplements and high end skin care.

Please don't lie about your sexual behaviors..your blood will be tested and it will be screened.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You need to drink more than just a couple of cups of water..you need to drink quite a bit 24 hrs before giving plasma and it doesnt take hours...90 mins tops.

if you need money that badly quit buying diet supplements and high end skin care.

Please don't lie about your sexual behaviors..your blood will be tested and it will be screened.
He's not planning on lying about his sexual *behaviors* nor did anyone suggest that he does. I told him he doesn't need tell them his sexual PREFERENCE. It doesn't matter that he prefers men over women, what matters is if he is ACTIVE sexually. If he's a homosexual, but he's never had any sexual experience at all, then it doesn't make any difference, whatsoever, that he is homosexual.

Also, the *first* appointment will be several hours, because there is a mandatory screening process before he gets to actually give the plasma. Once he's registered and in the system, he doesn't have to go through the screening process and can jump right to the urine test, the basic identification information, and then the plasma donation itself (which isn't a donation, it's a sale).

Old 07-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Yes, I would be doing quite well if I didn't buy such expensive health and beauty products. It takes my entire monthly income to pay rent, buy food and maintain my skin care routine. Not to mention the cost of buying oral, hair and bath products. It's not just skin care I over spend on.

I really don't like the thought of giving plasma. It sounds quite draining. I was going to have it done this morning, but decided to go to class instead. I am considering having it done Monday. I'm not sure yet though. I've lost a lot of weight recently and need some new clothes. I spend very little on clothing and fashion. But, I may just wait until September before I get anything new. It's not in my budget unless I decide to give plasma.

Thank you for your responses AnonChick. I've learned a lot by reading all the things you've had to say.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 41,555 times
Smile Here is some thing that will help you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Lifestyles View Post
I am interested in donating plasma for some extra income. There is an organization near my home that pays $40.00 per donation. I would like to give plasma twice a week as I need the money. Of course, this is not my sole source of income, but it will allow for a little bit of extra cash flow.

What are the after effects of donating plasma? I understand that I may feel dizzy and sick for a few hours, but I know this goes away within time. Will it leave any black marks or permanent scarring on my arm?

Is donating plasma safe? Is it a healthy thing to do?

Please respond honestly and respectively. Your response will be appreciated. Thank you.

Yes you can feel drained but that is only if you haven't had a good meal 3 Hours before you donate so make sure you do as instructed and there will come a time where you might feel like passing out but just make sure you let someone know I'm not saying this to try and scare you from doing this donation but I'm saying this so that you will know what to expect and as for a permeate scaring well it's going to look like some one has been poking you with a needle but nothing that will not heel with in time after you stop donating . And for the question is donating safe yes it is but you will have to take some steps to make sure that it stays that way like when it comes to the bath rooms and making sure that your arm isn't left open after you donate blood but that will never happen just make sure it stays rapped until I would say for a full day just to make sure the wound is closed up and after that it will be fine just remember that when you donate your doing this to help another life who need's this to survive I hope that I have helped you in this matter take care and good luck .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness