Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:02 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,227,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I dare anyone to take 2 droppers full of Lemon Balm Herb and stay awake reading in bed
or watching TV...no way could u do it.

(Lemon Balm has something valium does....At Health Food Stores...$10)
I take a valium LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 PM

17,600 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Please understand that diphenhydramine (unisom, nitol, benedryl) can be fatal if taken in doses too high for your body weight.

This medicine also stops itching. (short story: sister had cancer, surgery was performed, pain meds prescribed, pain meds made her itchy, took benedryl three times in one day, she stopped breathing and died on mom's sofa)

I still keep a bottle of it here, it helps sleep, it helps allergies, it helps a lot of things, but if you take it nightly, you can build up a tolerance (sleep wise it will take more and more to help you sleep). If you take too much, it can suppress your respiratory system and breathing simply stops.
Same thing can happen if you take too many pain pills. Or too much cough syrup.. Hell, I broke ribs coughing so much one time.. They prescribed codeine cough syrup, and it suppressed my breathing so much that I had to cut the dosage in half.

Not meaning to be offensive or dismissive to your sisters death.. But. That whole second paragraph seems odd. I mean.. You could just have easily concluded that with "and drank a glass of orange juice" then blamed the orange juice.. Was there some form of autopsy that said that the benedryl was the cause of death? Or a contributing factor? Or is it just your belief that the benedryl was the cause? Because, the pain meds are a big red flag..

Before blaming the benedryl here.. The first thing I would suspect would be the cancer.. The second being the pain meds, the third being a combination of the pain meds and cancer, and finally i'd start thinking about the benedryl combined with the cancer and pain meds.

Not saying it's impossible, and.. Certainly not saying that it didn't have an effect in your sisters death.. but, 3 pills would be 75mg.. The maximum 'safe' dosage, according to drugs.com is 400mg in a day.. That's 16 pills @ 25mg, which is the standard dosage.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I tried that, but it didn't do anything for me.
Melatonin only helps me if I take the higher dosage tabs, and it's not supposed to be taken regularly, anyway. I believe the information on the label of the bottle I have says not to use it more than two weeks straight. I stopped using it because I noticed I have very unpleasant dreams when I use it, and when I viewed its side effects on a reliable drug information page, that was one that was listed.

I just use a half a tablet of generic Benedryl now. I can't stay awake if I take Benedryl during the day for a cold, so I figured it might help me sleep, and it does. I asked my doctor about it and she it was fine. However, I don't take it every night. If I have two bad nights of insomnia in a row, I take it the third night.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,833,273 times
Quote:
Oh, I never saw that one. Is it called something different? I don't see how it could be called the same thing?
Unisom has two different sleep aid products (that I know of). The original Unisom caplets, and Unisom Gelcaps. The gelcaps are diphenhydramine, same active ingredient as Benedryl. The original, regular Unisom caplets are a totally different active ingredient, docsylamine. Both are sold under the same brand name Unisom.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:15 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,666,413 times
Quote:
Oh, I never saw that one. Is it called something different? I don't see how it could be called the same thing?
Unisom QuickMelts is the one I have on hand. The dose is two but one does the trick for me

Old 03-06-2014, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
I think the secret here is: how often do you use a sleep aid? I, for one, do not like the idea of getting used to falling asleep using a sleep aid, and I too worry about the side effects, but when used in moderation I don't think it will hurt. It seems today almost all meds warn of liver disease or liver damage. If anyone is going to depend on a medication on a permanent basis, check with your doctor first.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 AM

452 posts, read 710,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Same thing can happen if you take too many pain pills. Or too much cough syrup.. Hell, I broke ribs coughing so much one time.. They prescribed codeine cough syrup, and it suppressed my breathing so much that I had to cut the dosage in half.

Not meaning to be offensive or dismissive to your sisters death.. But. That whole second paragraph seems odd. I mean.. You could just have easily concluded that with "and drank a glass of orange juice" then blamed the orange juice.. Was there some form of autopsy that said that the benedryl was the cause of death? Or a contributing factor? Or is it just your belief that the benedryl was the cause? Because, the pain meds are a big red flag..

Before blaming the benedryl here.. The first thing I would suspect would be the cancer.. The second being the pain meds, the third being a combination of the pain meds and cancer, and finally i'd start thinking about the benedryl combined with the cancer and pain meds.

Not saying it's impossible, and.. Certainly not saying that it didn't have an effect in your sisters death.. but, 3 pills would be 75mg.. The maximum 'safe' dosage, according to drugs.com is 400mg in a day.. That's 16 pills @ 25mg, which is the standard dosage.
Yes, the autopsy confirmed that it was the benedryl that kept them from being able to revive her as well as what stopped her breathing in the first place. (Like I said, short story. I wasn't interested in jacking her thread with my sister's death, but rather to let her know that someting as seemingly benign as those little pink pills could shut her down fast and to be careful).

The pain meds were relatively mild, vicodin. She took them in quarter doses (none of us had ever taken anything so strong. I did after my hysterectomy and was sooo sick).

The cancer was stage 1, was a melanoma, but they had to cut deeply to get it because it was in scar tissue.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 AM

858 posts, read 1,808,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Unisom is a brand name. Diphenhydramine is an ingredient.

The ingredient is available for sale, through several different manufacturers.

Your question is like saying you didn't know that orange juice is sometimes called something other than Tropicana, and not seeing how Minute Maid can be the same thing.
You are wrong. Unisom is a brand name, but the actual products have different names since the active ingredients are different (already referenced).

Same as Tylenol PM is different from Tylenol since it has different ingredients. Brand name is the same: Tylenol. PM has the sleeping aid included.

It's not the same as orange juice, not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness