Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I wonder why she is putting it in the freezer at work and not using it for her baby.
Probibly selling it on Ebay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:16 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
And...Grow up and man up...and the sperm comment??? The OP is female.....You missed a lot.....Including the point.

This nursing Mom is leaving multiple bags to just spill over onto folks lunches etc., in a communal office frig...Not neatly contained and taken home for the baby...Collected, frozen, stored long term.

I nursed 4 children...and believe me being considerate of others in this situation is not about nursing...it is about hoarding...in an office frig. The Mom can put a mini frig or cooler in her office...I think that would be more sanitary for the baby....
LOL thanks Jan...I had to read that post twice and shake my head. Sperm?? LOLOL

Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Maybe "someone" could throw all these bags o' milk out. Not only is she taking up more than her fair share of the office fridge, she's assuming that the whole office is o.k. with her...effluvia storage. I say toss it.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I think if someone wants to put food products into a communal refrigerator, that's great. Breast milk is a food product, and it certainly does, and should, be permissible.

HOWEVER

I also think there's something going on here that isn't adding up. Unpasteurized, unhomogenized breast milk will sour after a certain period of time, whether refrigerated or not. By the time she's stored 50 bags of it, the first 20 bags are probably sour. So why is she storing that much at all?

If she's milking herself every 20 minutes in order to fill 50 bags in only a day or two, then I'm thinking she probably should be fired. That isn't reasonable medical accommodation in the workplace. That's abuse of work time for personal use. When you spend almost as much time pumping milk into bags as you do working, and getting paid for the whole time, then you're not earning your keep, and should either have reduced pay/reduced hours, or find a job as a wetnurse, where you actually get paid for your milk.

There's a long stretch from "taking a few minutes a couple times a day" to express milk in the workplace, and filling 50 bags in a few days.

So either this person is spending WAY too much time filling bags, and wasting company money in the process, and should be fired or have her pay cut to reflect her lack of production...

Or the milk is mostly sour in that refrigerator because "reasonable" accommodation means it's taking quite awhile for 50 bags to get to the refrigerator...and the nursing woman has a few screws loose...

or - the OP is neglecting to tell us some key information that would make the entire thread make sense.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Maybe "someone" could throw all these bags o' milk out. Not only is she taking up more than her fair share of the office fridge, she's assuming that the whole office is o.k. with her...effluvia storage. I say toss it.
So far, I am the only one who has vocalized displeasure about the situation...not saying other people don't find it nasty, but I am the only one that has said something (just to my co-worker not anyone else). Like i said this is a small office, and we only rent space here, the law firm we rent from is the one that employs this woman...I think I will just keep my mouth shut and keep my stuff out of the fridge LOL

She has been back from maternity leave about 3 months now..and has been pumping twice a day since she has been back. She stores the bags (except one or two of them) in the freezer...does that keep the milk good? I admit to having no knowledge about this since I don't have kids. Like if you pump breast milk on January 1st and freeze it, can it be used on March 1st if it is defrosted? LOL As far as I can see, she is only pumping twice a day but twice a day for three months adds up I guess.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,316 times
It's gross. She should be putting it in a cooler bag. The other benefit for her is that her bags won't touch anything else in the fridge that could contaminate them.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
It's gross. She should be putting it in a cooler bag. The other benefit for her is that her bags won't touch anything else in the fridge that could contaminate them.
Yes, until it was pointed out, I never even thought of it that way....

She's pumping now, btw..LOL let's see if this one goes in the freezer or fridge.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Well Jen5276...You are right..Just do a separate frig. If she is a partner in the Law practice that you rent space from you cannot afford to rock the boat, about this or anything else. I would not visit with others in this office space about this or anything else from now on....Prudence is the best plan here...Just keep your thoughts your thoughts...If you really can't afford to move your company elsewhere.
I find it ludicrous...and wonder what this poor baby is getting if she leaves it all there...But...basically it is not my business if I don't own the frig.
Interesting thread though Got anymore water cooler tales to share?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well Jen5276...You are right..Just do a separate frig. If she is a partner in the Law practice that you rent space from you cannot afford to rock the boat, about this or anything else. I would not visit with others in this office space about this or anything else from now on....Prudence is the best plan here...Just keep your thoughts your thoughts...If you really can't afford to move your company elsewhere.
I find it ludicrous...and wonder what this poor baby is getting if she leaves it all there...But...basically it is not my business if I don't own the frig.
Interesting thread though Got anymore water cooler tales to share?

HAHA! like I said, could write a book. This is the fourth office I've worked in, and there have been strange goings on in every one of the offices. However, this is the smallest office I've ever worked in, the bigger firms have stricter policies about stuff like that. I don't think she would have been able to get away with that at those places. One woman in my last firm used to pump at work, but she didn't have an office, so she used to use the conference room. One day, as there was this big project going on in the conference room, she decided to kick out who was in there so she could pump. Let's just say the managing partner was NOT happy about this and handed her ass to her when she came out. She didn't last too long after that. LOL

Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Dirty ole' unpasteurized breast milk! Gross! (Somebody should turn her into CPS for feeding that stuff to her poor innocent baby, don't ya' think?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness