Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 AM

409 posts, read 512,207 times

Advertisements

March 28, 2014 -- Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Topamax (topiramate) for prevention (prophylaxis) of migraine headaches in adolescents ages 12 to 17. This is the first FDA approval of a drug for migraine prevention in this age group. The medication is taken on a daily basis to reduce the frequency of migraine headaches.

Moderator cut: too long a quote, use link

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-04-2014 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
This is interesting, and glad they found something to help this age group. For anyone interested in natural prevention, I also take Feverfew, an herbal supplement, after a Dr recommended it years ago. I take it twice a day and it has reduced the number of my migraines significantly. Unlike most herbals, Feverfew actually has many studies to vouch for it. Feverfew and Migraine | The Migraine Trust
Also Feverfew | University of Maryland Medical Center

Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is interesting, and glad they found something to help this age group. For anyone interested in natural prevention, I also take Feverfew, an herbal supplement, after a Dr recommended it years ago. I take it twice a day and it has reduced the number of my migraines significantly. Unlike most herbals, Feverfew actually has many studies to vouch for it. Feverfew and Migraine | The Migraine Trust
Also Feverfew | University of Maryland Medical Center
I used to, also! The Lancet (British version of JAMA) had articles back in the 90s showing both less frequent and less severe migraines with feverfew use. And it's cheap!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:40 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
My son suffered from Migraines and no medications helped. It wasnt until he got away from flourescent lighting at his schools that they went away. Just sayin....

Old 04-05-2014, 01:46 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
My son suffered from Migraines and no medications helped. It wasnt until he got away from flourescent lighting at his schools that they went away. Just sayin....
what age was he when they began and what age when they ceased?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:23 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Mine started at 16 and they are still bad as ever and no meds ever helped ever and I still get them severly ...so I doubt at 53 anything would help other than just going to sleep and a hot shower LOL ...I know , I know not a laughing matter ..

Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Mine started at 16 and they are still bad as ever and no meds ever helped ever and I still get them severly ...so I doubt at 53 anything would help other than just going to sleep and a hot shower LOL ...I know , I know not a laughing matter ..
That's odd that a hot shower would help. Migraines are caused by the blood vessels in your brain dilating. A hot shower would expand these vessels more and probably make the pain worse. I always have to use an ice pack. But as long as it works for you, great. I've had migraines for 11 years, from a severe head injury. I already take a midrange dose of Topamax for epilepsy but I still get the migraines. I have to take generic Maxalt or Cambia for them. Maxalt works and is cheaper, but it is slow acting, so a lot of times the Cambia is my go-to drug. Cambia is so expensive ($95/9 doses with insurance, $500/9 doses without). Cambia isn't covered on my insurance but my neurologist got them to write an exception and cover it. It is a miracle drug for me. I wouldn't be able to function without it.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:08 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's odd that a hot shower would help. Migraines are caused by the blood vessels in your brain dilating. A hot shower would expand these vessels more and probably make the pain worse. I always have to use an ice pack. But as long as it works for you, great. I've had migraines for 11 years, from a severe head injury. I already take a midrange dose of Topamax for epilepsy but I still get the migraines. I have to take generic Maxalt or Cambia for them. Maxalt works and is cheaper, but it is slow acting, so a lot of times the Cambia is my go-to drug. Cambia is so expensive ($95/9 doses with insurance, $500/9 doses without). Cambia isn't covered on my insurance but my neurologist got them to write an exception and cover it. It is a miracle drug for me. I wouldn't be able to function without it.
I am another one who is helped by heat, for whatever reason. I use a microwave hot pack and it helps a lot when have one.

Phone Lady, look into the Feverfew.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
what age was he when they began and what age when they ceased?
They started at age 10 and stopped at 20.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Another thing, ladies. I'm sure you're probably aware that they are often related to your menstrual cycle so keeping a headache log and knowing when your period is coming up (if you're still cycling) can help a lot. I have also noticed that wearing ponytails in my long hair, even if they are loose, often causes them. Wine and champagne always causes them, and very strenuous cardio exercise often causes them. If we can help each other, I'm all for it. Migraines are hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness