Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 PM

210 posts, read 394,022 times

Advertisements

I tried googling this issue with no luck. I'm going to be starting a new job at a printing company. It's going to be an 8 hour shift working with ink, chemicals and other printing related materials. I'm sure I'm going to smell bad at the end of my shift. On some days after the end of this shift, I'll be going to my part-time retail job and I do not have time to go home and shower.

When I was participating in an internship a few months ago at another print shop, I was later going into work at my retail job and the manager received complaints that I smelled bad. I knew I smelled bad after work and i tried covering it up with baby wipes and deodorant, but it didn't solve the problem. My retail boss told me she'd let me go if she got another complaint about me smelling.

I don't know how to solve this issue. Are there wipes or deodorants out there that are like showering when you put them on? I know some of you might say to just quit the retail job, but if the job at the print shop doesn't work out for me and I get let go, I won't have any job...

I don't know if I'll have time this week to see a doctor/dermatologist about the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 01:11 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Try taking a washcloth and soap with you so you can properly wash your stinky bits, and deodorant to reapply. A ziploc baggie to put them in. And maybe a change of shirt, at least? That ought to help, and it won't take long, so shouldn't impact your schedules. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM

210 posts, read 394,022 times
And where would I wash myself? At a sink where people can see me??

Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Is there somewhere you can change clothes at the end of your shift or the beginning of that retail job? The reason it stinks after you've tried to hide it is because it's all over your clothes, shoes, etc. If you can manage to change, the smell should be reduced greatly with fresh clothes.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:54 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
I second changing clothes. I do spin classes in the morning and I usually don't have time to wash my hair before work. I usually just "rinse off" and put on my work clothes.90% of the time it's your clothes that smell, not your actual person.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,854,577 times
I assume that your home isn't close enough to either job to stop by for a shower between jobs?

Is there a gym / health club / YMCA close to either job that you can get a membership for? That would be the perfect place for a quick shower between jobs.

If that's not possible than you might try a product used in hospitals for patients that can't shower.
SECURA PERSONAL CLEANSER Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser | Smith & Nephew - US Professional
Secura Personal Cleanser.

It's an 8 oz. spray bottle & doesn't require water. You can go into a stall in the restroom & undress & spray yourself all over & wipe off with a towel.

Just keep the little spray bottle & a clean towel in your briefcase.

They also have a Secura Moisturizing Cleanser with aloe which costs a bit more, but is very nice.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
Search for the words: sponge bath

Also deodorant under the arms helps. A bit of cologne or after shave applied on wrists and then rubbed on mid body (after cleaning).

With the sponge bath, get the underarms, crotch, chest, and areas where you sweat. Maybe you can rinse your head / hair in a sink?

Good idea to also change clothes, especially underwear, socks, and shirt.

Then I have seen men stark naked in public bathrooms cleaning themselves. Don't worry about it.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Get some of that really strong deodorant soap!

I had a 11am doctors appointment on a really hot day. By the time got off the train and walked to the doctors office.....I was sweaty and smelly. LOL, it was a lady doctor, she was not real pleased to see me......wrinkled her nose and made nasty notes in my permanent record.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
My husband has had jobs where he came home smelling like a sweaty dog. The worst was armored car work (the bulletproof vest has parts that are not washable). The second worst was a print shop. So I know the kind of smell you're talking about and it is worse than the smell from going to the gym.

Changing clothes should help, all the way down to the skin. If you're male, you could keep your hair really short and give it a quick wash in a bathroom sink between jobs, then use diaper wipes or shower cloths to wash your arms, face and neck, or just use the diaper wipe on your hair also as long as you don't have a sensitive scalp or issues with oily hair or anything like that. If you're female, a scented dry shampoo would help instead of a rinse in the sink (because it would take too long to dry). Then use your deodorant. If you need an extra layer of scent, get a mild cologne, spray it in the air, and walk into it, so you have some scent but it doesn't seem like you just took a bath in cologne.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:08 PM

24 posts, read 96,633 times
No-Rinse has some great products available. Try googling that to see if there are products nearby or that you can order online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness