Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 PM

382 posts, read 1,887,717 times

Advertisements

I had my first LASIK consultation and was turned down. They say my correction is too high (about -10) and my cornea too thin (I believe it was measured at 500). Has anyone had success w/ LASIK when it seemed that you were a borderline candidate. I want to at least get a 2nd opinion. It's just depressing thinking that everyone else can get it done, but I can't But I won't hastily risk my vision. I want a Dr. to be confident that it's safe for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 PM

436 posts, read 809,366 times
If your first doctor was a competent, board certified opthalmologist, and he turned you down becauswe of your correction desires vs/actual availabilites, you should go with that.

Certainly, you can get a second opinion, BUT- keep the first opinion in mind also. Do not just jump at an opportunity presented be someone without first doing some hard and in depth scrutiny. REMEMBER- it is your vision at stake.

Not everyone is a candidae for laser/lasic surgery. Be thankful that you had a physician who was honest and told you what he believed to be the truth.

Personally, I know what my vision is, and I will not (acually refuse to) undergo the laser therapy, especially considering that not ALL procedures come out with great results. There are failures, and there are mistakes. These can be very detrimental in eye surgery.

Remember- NO SURGERY is without risks or potentials for complications, Anyone telling you otherwise is a fool. You will be foolish as well, to believe that all is fine in every case.

Just doesn't happen. Visit the medical board websites in your area for a rundown of the physician you choose.

Again, I will sick with my glasses. I know they work.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,397,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
I had my first LASIK consultation and was turned down. They say my correction is too high (about -10) and my cornea too thin (I believe it was measured at 500). Has anyone had success w/ LASIK when it seemed that you were a borderline candidate. I want to at least get a 2nd opinion. It's just depressing thinking that everyone else can get it done, but I can't But I won't hastily risk my vision. I want a Dr. to be confident that it's safe for me.
I've heard too many stories about Lasik surgery gone bad. I would rather wear glasses forever than risk it. Read what Kathy Griffin (comedian) has to say about it: Kathy Griffin

Greenie

Old 10-26-2007, 06:10 AM

I agree- stick witht the glasses or contacts, particularly if in doubt.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:16 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,799 times
Both I and my wife have had Lasik and it's wonderful! I had terrible vision my whole life and to be able to see without contacts or glasses is nothing short of amazing. That said, if your Dr. says you are not a candidate you have to go with that. Get a second or even third opinion for sure.

It's scary getting any surgery especially my eyes but after researching the Dr. I was confident in my decision and I'm so glad I had it done.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:36 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
I agree with what Eddie said. It might be hard, but be grateful the opthalmologist was upfront with you and truly had your best interests in mind. He/she could've just been in search of the almighty dollar.

My prescription was stong, -9 in one eye, -8 in the other when I had my first LASIK surgery 5 years ago. The right eye was corrected to 20/20 vision, but the left eye wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. My doctor recommended trying a contact for a few months before he'd consider redoing the left eye. Well, I wore the contact for three months, my prescription didn't get any better so I went back for a re-do. It went well and all was good.....until about two years ago. I noticed I couldn't see very well when watching tv or driving at night. I went back to same facility and my prescription had worsened. There wasn't enough corneal tissue to redo my left eye again, but they were able to redo my right eye once more. I now wear a contact in my left eye to correct my vision. I think the prescription is -1.25 or something like that.

I wish so badly I would have received better guidance/information about the corneal tissue thickness before I had the left eye done for the second time. But anything's better than wearing glasses. I wore glasses for 7 years and contacts for over 20 before having LASIK. Now with disposable soft contacts, I really don't think wearing just one contact is a hassle.

I think clinics that perform LASIK procedures grossly undereport the number of "do-overs" that actually exist. It took me years to get the nerve to have the surgery.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,397,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I agree with what Eddie said. It might be hard, but be grateful the opthalmologist was upfront with you and truly had your best interests in mind. He/she could've just been in search of the almighty dollar.

My prescription was stong, -9 in one eye, -8 in the other when I had my first LASIK surgery 5 years ago. The right eye was corrected to 20/20 vision, but the left eye wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. My doctor recommended trying a contact for a few months before he'd consider redoing the left eye. Well, I wore the contact for three months, my prescription didn't get any better so I went back for a re-do. It went well and all was good.....until about two years ago. I noticed I couldn't see very well when watching tv or driving at night. I went back to same facility and my prescription had worsened. There wasn't enough corneal tissue to redo my left eye again, but they were able to redo my right eye once more. I now wear a contact in my left eye to correct my vision. I think the prescription is -1.25 or something like that.

I wish so badly I would have received better guidance/information about the corneal tissue thickness before I had the left eye done for the second time. But anything's better than wearing glasses. I wore glasses for 7 years and contacts for over 20 before having LASIK. Now with disposable soft contacts, I really don't think wearing just one contact is a hassle.

I think clinics that perform LASIK procedures grossly undereport the number of "do-overs" that actually exist. It took me years to get the nerve to have the surgery.
Another friend of mine has LASIK and it didn't go well. He now says that everything has a funny grainy look. He went into a deep depression after the surgery.

Greenie

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 27,538 times
Default Solution = thicker corneas

I just came back from Surgeon/Eye Doc. My prescription is quite high -8 and my cornea is below average thickness 498.
So he will not perform Lasik. He did however give me an alternative, PKR. The recovery time is longer, and these is still a 10 - 15% chance I will have to wear a moderate prescription glass or contact to get 20 20.
So I am mulling this over. I am disappointed, but not crushed.
Do I spend all the money, take 3-4 days off work, and then find one month later I need to wear glasses or contacts? Second surgery is not optional for corrections, because of thinness of corneas.
So what I really need are thicker corneas... how am I going to manage that?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 PM

If the surgery still has the potential for needing to wear corrective lenses, why chance permanent problems with a surgery?

Statistics are great for some. BUT- IF you are the one n a thousand (or whatever number) who ends up with the permanent damage, the statistics are irrelevant.

My choice- stick with the glasses, and don't screw around with your vision.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
I'll stick to my glasses. I don't know about any of you, but doesn't the thought of your eyeball being clamped open and you can't move, but really want to at the same time kinda freak you out? Gives me the willies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness