Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 06:02 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times

Advertisements

I will state, I am lucky my stones are not blocking anything. I do wonder though, when I have these attacks if anything can be done. When they act up, I get exhausted and dehydrated. All I am told is, drink more water. Is there anything else I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Well there's Urocit-K

Urocit-K | Potassium Citrate for Kidney Stone Disease

Or you could try generic potassium citrate from the vitamin isle.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Cranberry juice daily.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:06 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Now, the doctor is hinting at fibromyalgia.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Cranberry juice daily.
NO! Cranberry juice contains oxalates, which makes stones worse. Lemon juice is better since it contains citrate.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 AM

708 posts, read 823,313 times
Some claim products called 'Renavive', 'Stone breaker', or 'Uriflow' works but although there are many great reviews, I have no idea of their authenticy. If you look at the ingredients of 'Renavive' and their affects, it sounds promising though.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
If the kidney stones are made of calcium, then you might need to take magnesium citrate. Also, if you drink soda, stop. Stopping soda put an end to my husband's kidney stone problems. I've forgotten the reason but it made sense.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:18 AM

484 posts, read 760,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If the kidney stones are made of calcium, then you might need to take magnesium citrate. Also, if you drink soda, stop. Stopping soda put an end to my husband's kidney stone problems. I've forgotten the reason but it made sense.

It's potassium citrate they would likely need. Magnesium citrate is a (rather harsh) laxative.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM

107 posts, read 558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I will state, I am lucky my stones are not blocking anything. I do wonder though, when I have these attacks if anything can be done. When they act up, I get exhausted and dehydrated. All I am told is, drink more water. Is there anything else I can do?
You need to know the composition of your stones. Are they made of:
- calcium oxalate
- calcium phosphate
- cystine
- urate
- other

Calcium-oxalate, cystine and urate stones tend to form in the acidic urine, so it may help to alkalize urine with alkalizing foods, which are fruits and vegetables in general. Potassium citrate is also alkalizing and in one study it helped prevent stones in kids with seizures who were on a high-protein diet (which is acidic).

Cranberry juice is acidifying. I do not know if it helps prevent calcium-phosphate stones, but it unlikely helps prevent other stones.

Drinking water to dilute urine is the most effective method of preventing stones.

Stones can be broken down by ESWL (search...) or removed by various endoscopic methods.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:20 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Yes...you can get rid of them. First you need to know the location, number, and size of your stones. I believe they need to be a certain size to be able to have them surgically removed and if they're that small you should be able to pass them with the help of your urologist. Has your urologist said anything about surgery? How did your doc determine you have stones? I have chronic stones and I will do my second ESWL (shock wave treatment to break up stones). My stones are huge. Last time I had 2 stones both 10mm with one in the lower part of one kidney and the other the stone nestled in the renal pelvis blocking the flow of blood and the kidney was so pale!

This time no blockage but 2 stones a little smaller than before. I've changed my diet to alkaline foods and drink tons of water. Cranberry juice is basically not proven to improve kidney stones or UTIs. Most stones are Ca+ with 20% being the other. If you've ever has x-rays of them and you can visually see them in the x-ray chances are they're Ca+.

My urologist says I probably have had stones all my life which now that I look back is correct. Now that I'm older I'm not tolerating the pain so much and bam found out the cause. I was very athletic and was on basically a whey protein diet.

The attacks sound about right and re-positioning your body does a lot. Then your water, diet and exercise will do lots. Adding lemon to water or anything is just plain good for you. Don't go for the OTC product promising to break up your stones but talk to your doc. Are you saying that you have fibro and not stones?

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness