Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're right that that behavior alone (inability to control amount of drinking once the person starts) is only one of several indications used to determine alcoholism, so the OP is not an alcoholic....yet. And may never become one if he can control his drinking.

The person would have to manifest at least two other behaviors to fall into the classification of Substance Dependence, as defined by the DSM.
The DSM is arbitrary bull****, much like this thread. Go read up on the decision-making processes of the psychiatric establishment and see how it does not differ from what we're doing in this thread.

I am interested only in medical facts, not uninformed opinions which have proliferated throughout the ages regarding this topic (and many, many others).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:03 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
What I don't understand is the "need" to alter reality to the point of being blitzed.

Sure, in my college days and early adulthood, I over-imbibed and felt awful the next day. With age came wisdom about how much to consume. One-two glasses of wine or 1-2 beers on occasion alters my reality enough that I don't want more than that..I know how much my body will tolerate to have me feel good and how much will make me feel ill. I'm not a large person so a little goes a long way.

Is it a need to blot out reality with (8 IPA's?) or 8- 10 cocktails that puzzles me. Is there a pain that needs to be killed with the alcohol?

Does it feel good to have that much alcohol in one's system? Are there physical effects the next day? How much is needed over what period of time to cause or not cause alcohol poisoning? It must differ greatly from person to person depending on condition of liver, body size and metabolism.

Me, I don't want to go there.

Whether or not a person is an alcoholic (functional or otherwise) I'll leave up to the medical and psychological experts to define. It's a label, but not a reason. I'm more curious as to the why of it.

Anecdote: in my first job out of college I worked with a lovely woman, mid thirties, slender, vibrant, happy-go-lucky, who was found dead in her apartment by her boss after she failed to show up at work for several days. Turns out, to (most) everyone's shock, that she died of cirrohsis of the liver and malnutrition.

She, according to several who knew her, would drink her lunch at a nearby bar every day. The liquid lunch never inteferred with her job...just with her life one day. I never saw her drunk, never smelled alcohol on her breath. It was just a huge shock. Still is. And very sad.

Was my co-worker an alcoholic or a functional alcoholic? Or neither? Does it matter? The result was the same.
Life is meaningless pain. I am a nihilist as any reasonable person is. My IQ at last check was 163+. Thus I drink, to excess, perhaps. The end.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:33 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
This is the health and wellness forum, not the sci fi and fantasy forum. Dying from 12 cocktails over a 7 hour period? Really?

So how much is acceptable then? Thanks for all contributions thus far.
When I first read the title of this thread I thought "If you're asking then the answer is probably yes".

The effects are so different depending on the person and their genetic makeup. There are people who could go into a bar one time and drink like you do and be on their way to ruin. Sounds like you handle it pretty well, are sensible and cautious. There's always the chance that your judgement will be impaired and you'll just head home in the car and kill someone...

One drink per hour is the general rule-of-thumb for not getting intoxicated but that bartender is probably giving you great drinks.

The liver is a victim but brain cells die with every sip of alcohol. Fortunately we have so many millions of those it's hard to really do the kind of damage that will kill us. "Wet brain" is a real thing and when the brains of alcoholics are sliced they look like swiss cheese. Large pockets of cells die and there are pockets of fluid where brain used to be. That has to contribute to stroke, etc. Then your skin, your blood sugar... it's just not a healthy way to live. If you care about your body and want to take good care of it so it lasts... back off a bit.

It's been proven in studies a glass of wine can be beneficial. Grape juice might be just as good.

My overarching question is "why?". Sounds like you're lonely and this is a way to connect. Either by people in the bar (the bartender?) or the phone-a-friend who sometimes rescues you. So if that's your motive, I hope you can find other ways to spend 7 hrs of time that will provide a fresh field of friends to harvest. Healthy, positive, encouraging friends. Money must not be an issue because 12 drinks at one sitting is truly "pissing" it away.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:02 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The DSM is arbitrary bull****. I am interested only in medical facts, not uninformed opinions .
"Uninformed opinions"...right. Task Force Members | APA DSM-5

Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Money must not be an issue because 12 drinks at one sitting is truly "pissing" it away.
Old joke.

Alcoholic goes into bar, orders drink, takes it into the bathroom and returns with empty glass. Repeats.

Soon whole bar is watching him and wondering what's going on. So the bartenders says, "Okay, I'll bite. Why do you buy a drink, take it into the bathroom and come back with an empty glass?"

Alcoholic says, "Well I used to be a heavy drinker but then I realized I was just pissing my money away and I got tired of waking up with a hangover. So I decided to eliminate the middle-man."

Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Life is meaningless pain. I am a nihilist as any reasonable person is. My IQ at last check was 163+. Thus I drink, to excess, perhaps. The end.
Maybe needing a definitive answer (and being so bright) just gets in the way of finding your own personal answer?

Here's another way to think about it: a life of excessive drinking can be meaningless pain; With a clear head, intelligence and some motivation sober people can take that pain of existence and transform it into answers for problems, to comfort others and to create a little less pain in their own space. That's the hope that abstinence holds out for addicts.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, an AA meeting for someone drinking once a week. lol Sorry, I didn't read all these pages. The teetotalers are all over this. ha, ha. Well at least you will be the only person there drinking once a week. That might make you feel good, but usually the leader will say, YOU have a problem! They don't want anyone to drink at all.

Go have a wee dram and enjoy yourself, before you get brainwashed.
yes! finally someone who isn't totally lame!

the only thing i suggest is to break out the sessions to two 4-6 drink sessions a week. that way, you're not having all your fun in one night and having to make transportation arrangements. 4-6 is enough for a decent pleasant buzz(LOL at someone who said they would pass out after 6). spread that out over a longer period of time and you won't have to worry about driving home drunk. easy peasy

some weeks, i will slam back way more than that. other weeks, i won't drink at all. while on other weeks, i'll have a 12 pack last into the next week. it depends on how things are going. i usually plan to have x amount of alcohol and stick to it. most times, my frugality will override the alcoholism gene i was blessed with and i will go 2 months without a single drop

when i first started drinking, i would binge hardcore to the point of passing out/puking. then i eventually cut back to a more manageable level. what you do seems like a sort of newbie mistake. but then again, teetotalers will make everything harder than it needs to be. AA for once a week 8-12 drinks a night once a week? HAHAHAHAAHA

tell that to my mother. she was drinking almost a half gallon of vodka per day 7 days a week!

edit: you mentioned the big speck of blood in your eye. i had that when i was 21, but that was from an insane 5 day bender in vegas. luckily i dont do those anymore. too much to do and too many goals that dont involve alcohol.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
5 drinks a day for 5 days a month? Keep laughing.

Alcohol induced dementia:

Heavy Drinkers Are Prone to Memory Problems in Old Age - WSJ

Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
The DSM is arbitrary bull****, much like this thread. Go read up on the decision-making processes of the psychiatric establishment and see how it does not differ from what we're doing in this thread.

I am interested only in medical facts, not uninformed opinions which have proliferated throughout the ages regarding this topic (and many, many others).
Amen, brother!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:30 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
yes! finally someone who isn't totally lame!

the only thing i suggest is to break out the sessions to two 4-6 drink sessions a week. that way, you're not having all your fun in one night and having to make transportation arrangements. 4-6 is enough for a decent pleasant buzz(LOL at someone who said they would pass out after 6). spread that out over a longer period of time and you won't have to worry about driving home drunk. easy peasy

some weeks, i will slam back way more than that. other weeks, i won't drink at all. while on other weeks, i'll have a 12 pack last into the next week. it depends on how things are going. i usually plan to have x amount of alcohol and stick to it. most times, my frugality will override the alcoholism gene i was blessed with and i will go 2 months without a single drop

when i first started drinking, i would binge hardcore to the point of passing out/puking. then i eventually cut back to a more manageable level. what you do seems like a sort of newbie mistake. but then again, teetotalers will make everything harder than it needs to be. AA for once a week 8-12 drinks a night once a week? HAHAHAHAAHA

tell that to my mother. she was drinking almost a half gallon of vodka per day 7 days a week!

edit: you mentioned the big speck of blood in your eye. i had that when i was 21, but that was from an insane 5 day bender in vegas. luckily i dont do those anymore. too much to do and too many goals that dont involve alcohol.
What is to be gained in supporting the OP asking for help by mocking those with less of a tolerance than you, or who choose not to drink at all whether because of an inclination toward alcoholism or any other reason?

How does it make it okay just because an alcoholic you know drank a whole lot more than the OP does?

Viewing drinking alcohol as a pissing contest to flex your superior tolerance over others, while roundly mocking and deriding others who make different choices is something I would expect of an immature 20'something.

Touting the exploits of alcoholics and diminishing the concerns of the OP as superfluous because they aren't slamming back booze every night is not helping the OP who posted because they feel they have a problem with their drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness