Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

Of course I have this along with all of my other issues.

Whenever I have blood drawn I always ask for paper tape, which still causes a reaction, but not as bad as the regular tape they use.

I had surgery almost a month ago and had to have an iv and all kinds of blood work and of course they wouldn't use paper tape.

All this time later and the reaction is still on my arm.

I have been hospitalized 2 more times since and I can't begin to tell you how many blood draws, iv attempts, etc I have had.

Both of my forearms are covered in reactions, and it is quite a bit. My left arm is older, from the surgery, but it is still there. It is no longer raised but it is still discolored.

I have to wonder if it is ever gonna go away! My right forearm is still raised and discolored.

My chart states the allergy and I have no idea why these people do this! Sometimes they draw blood when I am asleep and automatically use the regular tape.

Some say they can't do an iv with paper tape, even though the iv they just removed was held down with paper tape.

Does anyone have this reaction and does the discoloring ever go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 07:00 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
I too have an allergy to almost any tape used by doctors, but I've never had a discoloration - for me, it just seems to take the first layer of skin with it! LOL

I would suggest trying some gold bond lotion or hydrocortisone cream or even benadryl lotion for a bit to see if it gets better.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I too have an allergy to almost any tape used by doctors, but I've never had a discoloration - for me, it just seems to take the first layer of skin with it! LOL

I would suggest trying some gold bond lotion or hydrocortisone cream or even benadryl lotion for a bit to see if it gets better.
Thanks. Hydrocortisone helps with the rash but nothing else, really. Every thing else just sticks around. Especially the most recent one.

The itchiness is gone but it is still raised and a pink color. The older one is no longer raised but is still discolored.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Do you have a latex allergy by any chance? I do . . . and can only use latex-free bandages which are hard to find. I sort of get along with paper tape, but can't leave it on for long.

Latex allergies are very common. You might want to get that checked out. I suspected I might have it when I broke out repeatedly with a bumpy rashy red area from regular adhesive bandages. Then I had a problem with the elastic in a bra. Then I got tested and got my answer.

Latex allergy can cross-react with other things that share a common protein. You might do a web search for it and see if any of the foods that cross-react are ones that you have digestive or contact troubles with. I was amazed to find out that various foods that upset my stomach are among the cross-reactors. Just a thought. Hope you figure it out.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Do you have a latex allergy by any chance? I do . . . and can only use latex-free bandages which are hard to find. I sort of get along with paper tape, but can't leave it on for long.

Latex allergies are very common. You might want to get that checked out. I suspected I might have it when I broke out repeatedly with a bumpy rashy red area from regular adhesive bandages. Then I had a problem with the elastic in a bra. Then I got tested and got my answer.

Latex allergy can cross-react with other things that share a common protein. You might do a web search for it and see if any of the foods that cross-react are ones that you have digestive or contact troubles with. I was amazed to find out that various foods that upset my stomach are among the cross-reactors. Just a thought. Hope you figure it out.
Thanks. I'm not sure if I do or not. It's so funny, I am coming up with all of these different allergies later in life.

I did have allergy testing done a few years ago, I'll get my chart out and take a peek and see if they did any testing for latex. I don't think they did.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
I have an allergy to adhesive bandages. I had to have a pressure bandage put on after I had my 2nd child via c-section. When they took the bandage off my skin went with it. I wound up with an infection so it took a long time to heel...the better part of 3 months. However, the area is not discolored at all and there was no scarring left behind. Granted it is more than 14 years later and 2 additional c-sections.

I have had other procedures since then though. I never had any issue requesting paper tape.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I have an allergy to adhesive bandages. I had to have a pressure bandage put on after I had my 2nd child via c-section. When they took the bandage off my skin went with it. I wound up with an infection so it took a long time to heel...the better part of 3 months. However, the area is not discolored at all and there was no scarring left behind. Granted it is more than 14 years later and 2 additional c-sections.

I have had other procedures since then though. I never had any issue requesting paper tape.
Wow. That must have been awful.

I always ask for paper tape and they act like they can't do an iv with paper tape. I know they can because one of them did.

I took a peek into my hospital chart and that allergy is absolutely listed.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Just before we went to the beach I burned my skin with Nair. Note to self: don't use Nair! Wasn't putting my trip off so got some waterproof bandaids. Although I can't see the burn anymore, I can still see where that bandaid was. Those things stick on extra securely and it looks like it took a layer of skin with it when I took it off. And no, it's not a tan line cause its in a spot that my swimsuit covers. I've never had an allergy to anything outside of what gets inside my nose.

OP, you must insist that they use something you don't have a reaction to.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Just before we went to the beach I burned my skin with Nair. Note to self: don't use Nair! Wasn't putting my trip off so got some waterproof bandaids. Although I can't see the burn anymore, I can still see where that bandaid was. Those things stick on extra securely and it looks like it took a layer of skin with it when I took it off. And no, it's not a tan line cause its in a spot that my swimsuit covers. I've never had an allergy to anything outside of what gets inside my nose.

OP, you must insist that they use something you don't have a reaction to.
I do. But there are some things that I have to put up with it like the things they use for EKG. I have discolored skin all over my chest and abdomen from those.

I have a small issue with the paper tape but it just looks like an abrasion when I take it off and goes away in several days.

I just can't understand why some of these nurses can't just realize that they can use something else and that some people have absolute allergy to it!

I have to have a hospital f/u with my internist tomorrow and she specializes in derm so I am gonna ask her about it.

I can't touch Nair with a ten foot pole!!!

Old 08-15-2014, 01:13 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
That is irritating, I would be sort of po'ed too if I had all these marks all over and medical professionls were basically just igorning it all.

If it were me I'd probably buy my own tape and keep a big box of it on my lap with a big sign or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness