Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 31,509 times

Advertisements

I started losing hair Nov 2006. The doctors said it was stress, from losing weight or having a baby in Aug 2006. It was my 5th baby and I've always had new hair growth. My 8 yr old daughter started having hair loss. It would just come out when you lightly run your fingers through it. My step-daughter moved back with us in May 2007 and her hair started coming out. We lived in a duplex and both babies in the duplex had respiratory infections and wheezing, runny noses, etc. We had headaches, concentration problems. The doctor realized it could be the house and requested a mold inspection. The neighbor's baby stopped breathing one night so we all moved to a hotel until the mold inspection was done and found to be safe levels of mold there. They allowed us to move for "piece of mind" without finding out what caused these things. Immediately, the baby breathed better in the hotel, we had new hair growth in the 2 months there. We move to another old house and the headaches, runny nose only in the house, and hair loss started. I bought a radon detector and our levels were 14.8 - 18.2. We moved to the hotel for 1 month while they put in a radon reduction system. Again, new hair started growing in that month and me and the 2 girls had short new growth after a month. We've been back in the house since Thanksgiving and my long hair started falling out and now the 3 inch pieces from the new growth from the summer and the new short pieces from Oct are coming out. My step-daughter is losing a brushfull a day. We've had urine tests and blood tests and I had a hair analysis test done. What in the world can it be? The house was built in the 1950's, had a basement and is a 2 story house and has all wood floors. I don't believe it's just being on an air force base because the hotel is on base and our hair grew back both times. The radon and other VOC's should be removed with the reduction system. The water has been tested. What unseen, odorless thing could shock our system so much our hair falls out. I've had long hair for years. This is not normal the amount coming out and big hair balls on the laundry from all the hairs that got washed and knotted up. What online tests can I buy or what medical tests can I ask for? I've been told they did a mold test before we moved in here. If not mold or radon, what's left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,276 times
I am sorry that you are going through this.Is it possible for you to move off base or transfer to another base?From what i was told,if radon levels reach a certain level,you shouldnt even live there even if you have a radon reduction in place.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,541 times
Mold does not cause hair loss. Go to a civilian doctor and get checked for ALL nuclear substances. A military doctor is forbidden to do so.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,083 times
Radiation. Go get tested, now. And NOT at a military doctor.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:53 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Yes I agree with everyone else go to a civilian Dr. and NOW!
I mean there are reasons for hair loss but in a child Boy I am not sure I did find this though.

Certain infections can cause hair loss. Fungal infections of the scalp can cause hair loss in children. The infection is easily treated with antifungal medicines.

But,,,,, I would still go to a CIVILIAN Dr. to be tested for whatever.
I hope that you get this resolved.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM

22,158 posts, read 19,210,182 times
air force bases (or any military installation) are notorious for toxic substances, including radioactive materials. DOCUMENT everything, start gathering other people's stories, take pictures, research on the internet for similar cases, look for existing class action suits, or attorneys handling similar cases, write to them for input

Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Yes I agree with everyone else go to a civilian Dr. and NOW!
I mean there are reasons for hair loss but in a child Boy I am not sure I did find this though.

Certain infections can cause hair loss. Fungal infections of the scalp can cause hair loss in children. The infection is easily treated with antifungal medicines.

But,,,,, I would still go to a CIVILIAN Dr. to be tested for whatever.
I hope that you get this resolved.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:23 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,349,343 times
Not only that but I would move offbase to a different house.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
I would move to a new location, off base. Drink, brush teeth and cook with water that is bottled. (you may want to give your child a fluoride supplement) I would also look at protein in diet. If you want to know the extent of any damage, if any, you can have follicle and nail testing done at a non-military hospital location. You will have to pay out of pocket, but it might answer some questions. Good Luck.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:15 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,596 times
Yes, clearly since three females of different ages are having similar symptoms, it would seem to indicate some sort of exposure. If it were only hair loss, you could consider skin conditions (i.e. dermatitis) or scalp conditions. If it were one person having these symptoms, it would look more hormonal (adrenal, etc.). Just to back up and give a larger outline for hair loss, it could include:

skin/scalp conditions
hormonal problems (thyroid, adrenal, pituitary)
autoimmune disorders
vitamin deficiencies (iron) or surpluses (Vitamin A)
chemical, radiation, poison exposures (including Thallium), medications

... but the combination of symptoms shared by several people gets you down to the exposures. Are any of your neighbors having any symptoms, that you know of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness