Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:40 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And I'm wondering where the flu vaccine is this year. They always emphasize early vaccination but two of the local clinics I called in September still haven't gotten it and say they have no information on when it will arrive.

Southern MN. Any other area not getting their vaccine?
Got mine in the L.A. area on September 30. Can't imagine why the supplies would be coming late to your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
We've had difficulty getting our full supply here at our office in Colorado (metro Denver).

Old 10-14-2014, 02:17 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
why have a shot when there are so many strains of the flu out there ? I would rather just boost my immune system and wear a mask and I probably would get better protection from the mask and boosting my immunity . One shot cannot possibly cover all the strains of flu .

Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
why have a shot when there are so many strains of the flu out there ? I would rather just boost my immune system and wear a mask and I probably would get better protection from the mask and boosting my immunity . One shot cannot possibly cover all the strains of flu .

No, but it does reduce the risk of getting the strains predicted to be most common by about 60%.

Since there is no way to "boost" immunity and you cannot wear a mask 24/7, I'll take whatever protection the vaccine provides. All I had was mild soreness from the vaccine injection.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The flu vaccines this year contain vaccine against 3 or 4 strains of flu virus (depends on the vaccine). These are the vaccines determined by the WHO with collaboration from the CDC and similar agencies in other countries.
Selecting the Viruses in the Seasonal Influenza (Flu) Vaccine | Health Professionals | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

In general, strains circulating in the southern and eastern hemispheres travel north and west. Usually, there is a pretty good match. I'm not sure what you mean about "boost(ing) (your) immune system".

Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
the flu that we get our shots for, is very different from the systems of Ebola. I think the fear from Ebola is going to affect people who pick up the Noro Virus for instance or 24 hour flu bugs, but yes, there will be a certain amount of panic. I was surprised our doctor didn't supplest flu shots this year. Every other year she has, hubby gets them every few years and I usually get them every year. I still will, occasionally get the flu, but it is a different strain.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the flu that we get our shots for, is very different from the systems of Ebola. I think the fear from Ebola is going to affect people who pick up the Noro Virus for instance or 24 hour flu bugs, but yes, there will be a certain amount of panic. I was surprised our doctor didn't supplest flu shots this year. Every other year she has, hubby gets them every few years and I usually get them every year. I still will, occasionally get the flu, but it is a different strain.
She may have assumed you were planning to get the vaccine since you usually do. Everyone should get it this year.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:00 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, but it does reduce the risk of getting the strains predicted to be most common by about 60%.

Since there is no way to "boost" immunity and you cannot wear a mask 24/7, I'll take whatever protection the vaccine provides. All I had was mild soreness from the vaccine injection.

Where are you getting your information from ? 60 % in whose estimation is 60 % ...boosting your immune system by eating healthy and taking vitamins , washing your hands like a fiend etc ... a mask is when you go out in public just like the Europeans and the Asians do when there is an outbreak ...

Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Where are you getting your information from ? 60 % in whose estimation is 60 % ...boosting your immune system by eating healthy and taking vitamins , washing your hands like a fiend etc ... a mask is when you go out in public just like the Europeans and the Asians do when there is an outbreak ...
I'll help suzy out here. The 60% figure comes from the CDC.
Q&A Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Estimates for 2013-14 Season | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Washing your hands doesn't keep you from inhaling the virus. The primary spread of flu is respiratory, touching infected items and then inoculating yourself is secondary.

Masks, eh?

Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
The best way to "boost" your immune system is by getting the vaccine...and hence antibodies to the virus. All the vitamins in the world won't get your immune system to produce the antibodies you need before exposure to the virus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness